BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ignition woes

Go down 
+4
ted
alan
dansofield550
adam p
8 posters
AuthorMessage
adam p

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-03-23

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:43 am

hi all, i'm having a problem with the 'adlers' ignition, the pvl that came with the bike was not what was on it the last time it was raced, so it had to be modified, i have bored out the rotor to suit the shaft, keywayed it (straight shaft),spaced out the stator plate and locked it on with a stepped spacer, any how after all this i could not get a spark out of it, i put my multimeter on it and it seems that there was only power up to the joining plug,(nothing at the ht lead) so i assumed that maybe the coil was iffy, got a new coil but still the same problem. so i went back to the drawing board checked the earths, timing etc, still no joy. will i see a spark just by spinning the back wheel with it in gear or does it need to be spun faster?. i'm a bit new to this new fangled ignition stuff and would appreciate any help. best regards adam.
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 am

I had no spark once, I'd decided to rubber mount the coil, the metal part of tje coil needed to be earthed doh, might ne the same
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi Adam,
Typical PVL problems! you may be ok but just need to spin up a lot faster, most pvl systems we use you can't turn the engine quick enough to get a good spark generation with out bump start speeds!
Try a bump start first before you get a panic !
I am looking at this problem with Colin Oldham at the moment so may have a better solution in a week or so...
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
adam p

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 8:15 am

thanks for the input dan/alan
i will make double sure on the earths, and when the weather clears up a little we'll go for a bump thanks again  adam Smile
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:20 am

Hi Adam the PVL is one of the reasons I bought a set of start rollers. little old legs would not go at required speed to get a spark.
Back to top Go down
adam p

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 am

i know the feeling ted, at the moment up this way if it rains any more i'll be towing it with a boat. me and luke were talking about concocting some rollers the other day. many thanks for your input Smile
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition   ignition woes Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 9:42 pm

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/sitemap.htm .could this be of any help? click on the union jack to get the English version.... click on search option... insert adler... this will bring up a load of systems.
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: Sloppy, Snotty Nostalgia...   ignition woes Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 12:05 am

Hopefully: -- to cheer you modern Bantamers up a bit by digressing quickly with a slice of sloppy, snotty nostalgia. That stupid, Run-&-Bump start cost me a lot of places with the ABS two-fifty in its early days of Albion cork clutch... they´d all be gone and a third of a circuit done before I´d get it right and she´d fire up -- yet with Icarus-1 at Brands I actually finished 4th because of the excellent start -- 0NCE -- in thousands of starts.

So, lads I hope you have all got rid of your Xmas flab and are in good fitness shape for the season.... I had that problem all the time and Andy´s 250 took away the disadvantage by being 2nd quickest Brit bike home a couiple or more times particularly after Andy got it a Greeves clutch. Ah! that was better than a couple of hot dinners....

I cannot remember ever thanking him properly so I´d better do it now before its too late: Thank you Andrew (Boyle -- of Chelmsford) for those few months of real development engineering plus fun... Oh oh! my shoulder and knee really gave me gyp just then.

Take care, go well and keep well.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 3:55 am

Adam/Luke
If you can not get a decent spark by spinning the back wheel
with the plug up then its not the ignition for a bantam?
Its worth checking the numbers on your stator rotor and coil
and comparing them with others who run them. Perhaps your
components are uncompatible with each other?

Back to top Go down
adam p

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 am

cheers mike, will do Smile
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 6:17 pm

Some of the PVLs for GoKarts only spark over 1500rpm sp are difficult to start
Back to top Go down
adam p

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 7:56 am

hi gents,could someone verify if we have the correct ignition please, pvl numbers coil 105 458, stator 1419, rotor 950, many thanks adam Smile
Back to top Go down
adam p

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 7:49 am

hi all, after getting the bike (adler) fired up at the weekend by tow starting she ran for a bit then stopped we then bumped it, it then popped and banged and refused to start again , after removing the ignition and examining the rotor, the centre of it has been bushed and the rotor had turned on the bush putting the timing out. i have now realigned the bush to allow for advance and retard and drilled the rotor and grub screwed to the crank. hopefully this will prevent the same happening again. luke is going to race school in april he has joined the vmcc next stop acu so progression being made slowly but surly. take care adam.
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Adam,
Are you going to the practice day at Cadwell? I am pleased you got the Adler running, I do have a spare rotor that I can take along but not sure if it is the same one as yours.
I will also be at Anglesey to help you along if you are still having problems.
Note after you have struggled to get the bike running, try removing the crankcase drain plug and check if it is full of fuel in the cases as the low starting spark strength of the PVL struggles to fire all the excess fuel.

Cheers,
alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
adam p

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 am

hi alan, we won't be able to be at cadwell unfortunately, if luke can get his acu licence etc then we are hoping mallory will be the first race, anglesey is a bit far for us.the good news is the adler started in about ten steps tonight and sounded sweet, the tank vibrates a bit but we are well chuffed  Very Happy many thanks for your input, me and luke will have to have a shake down somewhere just to make sure the gearbox and clutch are ok. take care adam/luke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ignition woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: ignition woes   ignition woes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ignition woes
Page 1 of 1