BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cylinder liners

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Colin Hall

Colin Hall

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Cylinder liners Empty
PostSubject: Cylinder liners   Cylinder liners Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 9:41 pm

I see that GKN has closed its Sheepbridge works and is now manufacturing in China. Does anyone have any experience of alternative suppliers?

The uk company Laystall offer liners in spun cast, chrome plated and silicon carbide. Anyone used their products - any thoughts on the last two options?

Happy New Year

Colin
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

Cylinder liners Empty
PostSubject: liner materials   Cylinder liners Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi Colin,
I have a spare 54mm liner that I will never use if you want to purchase? I believe it has never been used.
I do not use Iron in my barrels, just Aluminium and plating, this has turned out to be very reliable and in terms of cost for wear rate, probably cheaper than using iron liners.
Problems revolve around initial costs (very high) and getting quality liner material in a form you can use. A small amount of knowledge is needed for the fit of the liner but other than that it is trouble free.
Iron Liner available now, email me if interested.
If you want to know more of the alloy, email me if interested!
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
Colin Hall

Colin Hall

Cylinder liners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cylinder liners   Cylinder liners Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 pm

Alan,

Thanks for that.

I have sent an email to Laystall with detailed drawings for their comments. I have applied standard Ford/Ricardo specifications for limits and fits so I am happy with the geometry.

With a Sheepbridge liner unless you could guarantee that it was properly stress relived they could go walk-about. So a move away from cast iron is attractive. Laystall also supply high strength forged aluminium alloy tube so there shouldn’t be any issues with surface treatment compatibility.

Thanks for the offer but I will see where I get with Laystall.

Colin

Last edited by on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

Cylinder liners Empty
PostSubject: liners   Cylinder liners Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 12:05 am

Hi Colin,
No probs on that, just didn't think you would want to re-invent, when the technology is sorted and reliable.
Good luck with yours,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156

Cylinder liners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cylinder liners   Cylinder liners Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 11:36 pm

Colin

I got Tom and Brian all their cast for liners from a place called CYL LINERS (websearch) in the same district/area of Chesterfield. I've drove up there several times and picked up from GKN and later CYL very cheap and high quality spun cast.

Hope this helps

Tony

update

details:

Cyl-Liners Ltd
Unit 19 Whitting Valley Road
Old Whittington
Chesterfield
S43 1PT(Road Map)
Tel: 01246 456133
Fax: 01246 456134
Internet: www.cyl-liners.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Colin Hall

Colin Hall

Cylinder liners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cylinder liners   Cylinder liners Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 4:45 am

Tony

Thanks I will have a look at their web site.

This is very much a paper engine at the moment and I have not made any decision to turn it into metal. Although I may produce enough components to carry out some flow work and motoring tests.

The other area I would be very interested is in programmable spark timing. Does anyone use or had any experience on a Bantam engine? I am thinking as a minimum, say 3 slopes over the rev range rather than fully mapped (though that is not a problem).

Thanks

Colin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cylinder liners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cylinder liners   Cylinder liners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cylinder liners
Page 1 of 1