BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Advice for an Aspiring Rider?

Go down 
+3
adam p
nigel breeze
Finley Barrass
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Edward Irving

Edward Irving

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-04-16

Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:09 am

You will need a cleverer man than me to answer that one, the bikes are so different and the experience of the riders as well.

I have just concentrated on finishing races and enjoying my self, the only time I look at my lap times is to see if I have gone a bit quicker over the course of a weekend.

I never new AVGAS was about 40p more than unleaded, I am switching to AVGAS, thanks Dan.
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 1:29 am

I was a little bit out of date there Edward my local airport put it up to £1.60 this march, it'll save you a bundle over race fuel  though (assuming its about £90 odd plus vat plus delivery ) and avgas 20ltrs enough for 2 meetings is £32 Very Happy

ps you want 100LL(that's the type of avgas)
Back to top Go down
Edward Irving

Edward Irving

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 2:47 am

Dan I am converted I am going to find some AVGAS.

Don't you have to tell the guy at the airport your a micro light pilot or something?
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 3:07 am

you'll have to call them and ask that one, my place asks you to bring a letter saying what its for , ie racing motorcycle and not on the road etc
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 3:25 am

What airfield are you gonna go to Edward?

I reckon my closest one would be Cranfield or Duxford although I guess these would be a bit far for you.

Also, what number are you gonna be running at Mallory?
Back to top Go down
Edward Irving

Edward Irving

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Not sure which airfield, I have fuel for about half the season so no rush but I think I will try Old Warden that's not too far.

I was 271 last year but I have asked for a lower number this year so I will probably get 271 lol. Regardless of number I will probably be the one at the back!

We all tend to stick together in the paddock and we will not be hard to find.
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Ok, I look forward to seeing you.
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:34 am

What about tyres? How many do you guys get through per meeting and how much do you reckon they cost?
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 2:52 am

Does anyone use HANS devices or do you reckon they are more of an optional extra?
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 3:12 am

Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Graham%20Newman%20-%201961%20123cc

Is this the bike you are referring to Graham?
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 10:45 pm

that is indeed graham , tyres will last you all year( unless you like doing rolling victory burn outs ! ) , our race's are short  ( too sort in my opinion ) you'll need to budget 200 a set max for tyres depending on sizes etc, I once rode a bike with a rear tyre so worn it was slick on one side and the front tyre was 13 years old! and it still felt okay,
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 2:06 am

£200 is ok then and they will last a while so that is another thing I have underestimated.
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 2:43 am

there is of course massive savings from used tyres, one for sale just the other day was £40
Back to top Go down
grahamjnewman

grahamjnewman

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 3:55 am

Yes Finlay ,as Dan says that is the bike...
Back to top Go down
Rduesbury

Rduesbury

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi Finley,
It would be great to see you at a meeting. You won't need a HANS as I think that is more of a car safety thing, however, you should budget for a good quality back protector. I use a forcefield one which I like and it will last you for years!
Rob
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 12:06 am

Ok thanks I'll get a decent back protector, will you be at Mallory Rob?
Back to top Go down
Rduesbury

Rduesbury

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 12:15 am

Yep I will be there Smile
Back to top Go down
Finley Barrass

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 9:26 pm

What do you reckon the top speed for a Formula Bantam would be? I'm guessing Darley Moor is the fastest track although I've never been there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for an Aspiring Rider?   Advice for an Aspiring Rider? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice for an Aspiring Rider?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2