BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....

Go down 
+5
pushrod
SteveF
Barry
ptibbitt125
mjpowell
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Empty
PostSubject: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 7:22 am

I currently have in my posession the Shuttleworth C T which is the oldest cup the bantam racing fraternity have the first date being R H Bacon(Roy) in 1963 which pre-dates both bantam championship trophies, flying lady 1964 and BSA m/c's Ltd 1966. The Shuttleworth 'Chalice' is simple and beautiful being sterling silver it is hallmarked which my son Jake has researched .... So does anyone want to guess any of the following :-

1 Who made it? 2 Where was it made? 3 In which year?

It amazed me!? Do any older folks remember anytime about the history of the trophy? who was Shuttleworth? was it always presented for the enduro prior to coming BHR in 1996? Info on a postcard please or reply to this message.... Mike
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Bassy will probably beat me to it, but   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 12:39 am

Mike,

A very good question or 3.

Mr Shuttleworth was a Timekeeper. Usually these trophies are created in rememberence of someone who has passed on. However, I've a feeling he was still around, having retired from timekeeping, in the early to mid 1970's.

I think it was always awarded for the (Senior) Formula Bantam Enduro

OK, here are my guesses

1) BSA

2) Birmingham

3) 1963
Back to top Go down
Barry

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:07 am

If I remember correctly. The motorcycle that George Formby rode in the film "Going to the TT races"? was called the Shuttleworth special.
Does that have any connection with the Trophy ?
Barry
Back to top Go down
SteveF

SteveF

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 12:08 am

Hi Mike

I will hazard a wildish guess that it has a military history

French Govt.

France

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 6:01 am

I would like to suggest it is linked to the Shuttleworth family whom the Shuttleworth aircraft collection is named after.

Richard Shuttleworth won the first British Grand Prix at Donington Park in 1935, he was an RAF pilot and died in an accident in 1940.

So I think it was an earlier trophy donated by the family

Made by an engineer at the Shuttleworth collection in Biggleswade in 1940
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

PostSubject: No Limit   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 7:41 pm

George Formby's home built machine in the above film was called a "Shuttleworth Snap"
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

PostSubject: Come on Mike   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 am

Mike,

I think its time we were put out of our misery - me at least.

I dont want to have to write to Roy Bacon..............

Yours expectantly

pete
Back to top Go down
pushrod

pushrod

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 11:31 pm

Mike,
1) Dunno, 2) Manchester, 3) 1928.
Come on, spill the beans!
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Answer...   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 am

Well the trophy was made by a company?
with the initials of :- C B and S
and it was made in London
in (and this is the amazing bit) - 1920

So perhaps this raises more questions who were C B and S plus are they still silversmiths? And where was the trophy for the first 43 years of its life before being engraved and raced for ?? Pete ring Roy Bacon perhaps he knows...........
Mike
Back to top Go down
Tim Partington

Tim Partington

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:52 am

Gents,

My research reveals that CB & S were "Charles Boyton & Sons " who had premises in Wigmore Street, London, W1.

They seem to have vanished in the fifties probably due to Boyton's death,
being a long standing company,founded in the early 19th.century.

I would still suspect a connection with the Shuttleworth family though, given the sporting background of Richard Shuttleworth.

Maybe someone has a few more pieces to the puzzle.

Over to you chaps ! Smile

Tim.
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Shuttleworth   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 7:51 pm

Just to complicate matters! there was a Sheffield based company with a base also in London, called Cooper Bros & Sons, who used a similar marking to Boytons, and also existed at or around the same period! and they did fine silverware just the same.
The form of the marking is the clue as which one was the manufacturer.
The plot thickens!
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: C B S...?   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Uh oh!
I can see Peter going --Uh OH, its him again!
The C might be for Clayton... Joseph Shuttleworth had a boat building business before going into steam engine manufacture with Clayton... Somewhere north of London...? Joseph had two sons, Alfred & Frank.
Frank inherited the family home and fortune and died in 1913... Apparently they were always into boats, motor-cars and the new-fangled aeroplane. During the 2nd World War Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth was
an RAF pilot who, at 31 (in 1940) accidently crashed his plane into a hillside. His Mum, Dorothy, then founded the Trust as a memorial to Richard...
That sounds a bit odd because the Shuttleworth Collection has aeroplanes in it that were supposedly there in the twenties-thirties era. I can onlysuggest that the Shuttle worth `boys´ were constantly collecting and keeping cars and aircraft of the day which came in handy for Mum to set up a sort Engineering-Toys museum in 1940.
But if the initials C and S are for Clayton & Shuttleworth -- who was B...? Perhaps Boyton...?
Take care,
Aye! John-Boy.
Don´t forget it is gravity that causes gravel-rash -- not your irresponsible speed. JB.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: PS to CBS...   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Sorry!
Got carried away (not soon enough -- I hear...). Repeat reading shows, "...the trophy was made by CBS in London..." -- probably the C and S are nothing to do with the crud I belaboured you with and CBS stands for something quite different.
Hmmm! the plot thickens. Yet the Shuttleworth story is fascinating as are the stories of Otto, Daimler & Benz... And throw in Alfred Simms the great inventor and entrepreneur for whose successors I happily worked (in Finchley) for 6 years before Joeseph Lucas took the company over and deleted the name.
Cheers!
Aye! JayBee..
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

PostSubject: Full marks young man   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 8:19 am

Excellent research Tim, most dilligent. However, I still maintain my original recollection that the Shuttleworth concerned was a time keeper, and that Tom Miller could confirm through his sister Mary (Styles).

But, it looks like I will be unable to avoid telephoning the aforesaid Mr Bacon, if only to eliminate that line of enquiry. I will just have to makke sure I have the requisite 30 mins available.

My guess then, based on what's revealed here, is that the trophy was property of Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth, and passed to a relative on the demise of ROS. That relative may then have been the timekeeper I am thinking of. I will have to check out the early Bantam Club programmes I have for Snetterton (if I've still got them) (the ones where the price was "to you? 5p"). I am sure thats where I saw the name.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Last word -- promise!   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 pm

You are right Peter -- there was a timekeeper named Shuttleworth at our meetings. He was the chief timekeeper and I heard from Wobbly that he was most conscientious in his duties. I got disoriented with the detail of the family story and `CB&S´ probably does stand for Clayton, Boyton & Son who were silversmiths in London.
All the best at Donington!
Go well and keep well,
Aye!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Really the last word...   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Couldn´t leave it alone --
Mike!
How is the "C.B&S" enclosed? if within a shield with a full stop between C & B then Alan was right --- "Cooper Brothers & Sons Ltd"... If within three interconnecting circles, with C top left, B top right and the `&´ in the middle with S in the bottom circle -- then Tim has it with, "Charles Boyton & Son Ltd" ... Both had their business premises in London.
So, now get on with your Bantam preparations ...
Watch out for gravity,
Aye! JayBee.
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

PostSubject: Update to enquiries   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Fellow sleuths,

Have just sent a letter to Roy Bacon. Will post here any reply received.

Cheers, pete
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 3:59 am

John Pete and all..
Its embossed in the circles as John descibes.... so CB&S --London
It would be good to know the trophy's history 1920-63 (the missing 43 years) perhaps it was picked up at a car boot sale ?? oh they didn't happen way back then? did they..... Mike
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: C B S...?   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 1:25 am

Thanks Mike!
So Tim had it right. And I agree -- it would be great to find out how the trophy came about and then got into the BRClub....
Garage sales started in the sixties in America. Car-Boot sales must be the poor Englishman´s copy*** where the car owners could only afford the car and not the garage.
*** We Europeans always copy the Yanks -- except for Bantam racing, which the British invented.
Last time I saw Roy Bacon was August `81 -- he was on the Parade wearing his short wellies. That was the time the lights went out whilst I was riding Ned´s Bantam ...
Cheers!
Aye! JayBee.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Good to see Pete n Ned   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:23 am

I asked Mary Styles at the weekend ref the Shuttleworth and apparently Harry Shuttleworth was the bantam clubs time keeper in the sixties and aswell as presenting the trophy to the club happened to run a trophy shop where trophy were bought aswell as sold. This i think explains the 1920 manufacture date. I gave the trophy to Ian at the weekend its a smasher!! Good to see Pete Styles and Ned Quiery at the weekend watching races and chatting in the paddock...
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

PostSubject: shuttleworth   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 6:30 am

Well done Mike, glad to see I was on the right tracks at the beginning.

By the way, never got so much as an empty SAE back from Roy Bacon.
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 am

hi mike just been looking at these old posts -most popular, ? not sure now as lost my trophy how can i find out when I won this ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:24 am

hi Derek just got the trophy dirty by taking it out the cabinet you won it in 1990.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Trophies -- no thanks, I´ll take the money.   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 5:11 am

4th place at Brands -- really needled because if my Bantam had been that little bit quicker (8,400rpm with wind behind...!!) I´d have easilly had third. Was unreasonably angry when the bloke came and asked if I´d prefer cash to a trophy,
"What ferr, for Krysake?! A trophy for fourth place??"
"If you prefer cash...?" he said, and I just nodded.
I was all loaded up and ready to leave as he came rushing over and thrust an envelope into my hand which I shoved into the glove compartment and forgot about.
About 3 months later I opened the envelope and took out two notes -- each worth a pound.
Now -- 48 years later -- I look at my other BRC trophies and wish I´d had that Brands Hatch trophy after all... (no matter how tiny it might have been), because it was hectic racing over six laps: After being 4th every time, rushing past the starting grid I was third in Clearways six times (passing on Druids & down the dip to SouthBend...) and lost 3rd by a length.

Not comparable with Ian & Nick at Lydden but I think it must have been similarly close and hectic.

And I only remembered the Brands race after seeing the Ian-Nick video -- and if I´d had that Brands trophy I´d have remembered the event more often.
--
I really got to understand that last statement more when looking at another BRC trophy and seeing I got a third in that particular year -- at Snetterton -- and for the life of me I CANNOT remember anything about Snetterton but bad luck -- never finishing and often crashing.

So there´s a good reason for treasuring trophies -- I think!!?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....   The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Shuttleworth Challenge Trophy.....
Page 1 of 1