BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tangozulu

tangozulu

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2 Empty
PostSubject: Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2   Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:09 am

Borrowing bikes ... whoops ...

Lets face it if you've borrowed a bike it's bound to happen ... I said it to John Pearce at Snetterton when his bantam, with me ... er NOT on board, joining several others ..in fact about 8 of us .... when Pete Stiles

decided he could make up for a bad start by slipping up the inside of a pretty crowded first corner!!!

Talking of carpeetslippers ... he came past me once (or was it twice ...) in a race and I followed him? through the bombhole .. now I changed down a gear for the corner and he changed up and disappeared

....Bugger, really must sort out my gears I thought!! sensored he was fast through there!!! (and I was sooooo slow!).

The experts ...

The 1970's were a good time to be a bantam racer ... we were developing ideas special to a three speed two stroke .. Some of the Bantam tuners were very very good ... and it was nice to try new things you

thought might make more power or more torque ... when they worked it was good .. when they didn't well, what the hell ... it was fun seizing pistons, wrecking big ends, and bashing fairings ... not to mention

getting up for work on Monday after a s..it Sundays racing with big blue/black areas on your anatomy .... Modern body armour is wonderful!! (If not a bit cissy!!!)
We were REAL racers then and took it like a man!!!

Testing testing testing this is the bbc calling .....

Remember when they were building the bottom of the M11 and I needed to test my new sooper dooper water cooled banty and thought that that lovely new stretch of road looked quite good for the purpose ....

anyway, there I was belting along the motorway when alongside me drew a car with two ... er ... officers of the law grinning at me. Now this is serious, I'm trying to evaluate a very important machine here guys

piss off will yer I thought ....

Well they didn't and politely asked me via their loudspeaker to desisit my current operation and park my machine forthwith. They were very nice and were quite interested in the bike, and after a nice chat

suggested I should wear my leathers next time .... "oh and by the way" said the driver ... "You were doing 94 mph mate!". Hey that was good, as finaly I'd built a bike that felt and was quick after six months

development. The next day my banty career ended when the engine exploded (faulty, new Alpha con rod). See below

Bang bang ...

This was 1975, and it exploded at Bassingborne the next day. It was then that I decided to buy a TZ and dispose of the bantam, eventualy flogging it to Ron Curtis. I didn't have the skills to develop further what

had become a good quick bike, and frankly I didn't want to any more. In practice I remember chasing Mick Scutt on his proddy 250 I think it was, and passing him on it .... then bang .... I was gutted, and along

with the increasingly political nature of some memebers of the committe that was it .. I'd had enough ... Pete Tibbetts was having success on a TZ, and despite my being pretty scared at the thought, thought I

would give it a try ...

A new era ...

I chatted to Chris my wife, my dad offered to chip in and I could get HP on a bike if I could find one ... spotted an advert from Adrian Godden who was selling his TZA 250 that he'd come second in the British

Championships with, had a spares kit too ..£1200 to you mate ...

I was so proud when I got it ... then after a couple of days of polishing and just staring at it I realised people expected me to ride this thing ...sh..t!
Heeeelp .....

I think it took me about 2 hours to get the thing hot enough to stop oiling plugs ... and when it finally got in the so called power band (about 9800-10400) it nearly left me behind .. along with the contents of my

breakfast ...sensored this thing was fast!! But bantam racers learn, they were and are masters at preserving every little bit of speed that their machines attain ... and I too learned .. eventualy riding the TZ like a bantam

... and I enjoyed almost every ride I had on it ... I could never had done that without the support of many many people I met in the BRC and the amount I learned from them in preparing and riding a racing

motorcycle.

It was funny at the time ....

Hurtling round Corum one wednesday practice, knee (nearly) on the deck, giving it loads of (style!) feeling pretty good ... suddenly this bloody go cart flew round the outside of me .. wot .. eh .. bugger off...

Martin Hynes disapeared through the next corner flat and disappeared .. now me .. well, course I had to let him go .. well didn't want to embarrass a future european/world champion did I!

Probably the scariest moment came when I was testing the banty one day, around 80 mph round Corum again when, to my er .. suprise, a couple of dozen Territorial or regular soldiers were crawling along the

track perimeter .. about to cross. Now I though hey ho that could be dodgy ... and then this f... great tank appeared from nowhere and stopped on the side of the track .. now to say that I break tested my bike is

an understatement ... seconds later what seemed like hundreds of soldiers appeared as I and a further dozen of so riders stopped ... then the circuit manager came belting up from Russels and began shouting

and giving his car horn a workout and effing and blinding .. well, it was funny at the time .. !!!!!

Remember driving to Llandow .. never been to Wales before .. it was around 2 am and we couldn't find the circuit (well they called it a 'circuit' but I have my doubts) so we bedded down as best we could and

tried to sleep .. at around 8am ish I think, I woke to the sound of a noisy bloody motorbike .. I stuck my head out of the van to swear at the itinerant and heard lots more bikes .. now the verge was quite high ..

crawling up the side and peering over the top I saw .. well the paddock ... ?/@'~#£$%^ ...'kin 'ell we've sort of slept in the van and didn't use the tents and stuff ..we couldn't find the circuit ... doh what a wally!!!!

He's wittering again ....

The BRC was an important part of my life and it's sad that young people won't have that opportunity. Alas I'm an old fart now and they want to ride not clean and tune and learn .. I think it's sad but at least you can

now make a pretty well paid career out of riding, and expect to survive, which in our day was a bit of a moot point with the cavalier attitude of circuit owners, not least the IOM who took many more years and

many more lives before they woke up tho the fact that accidents could be avoided, and when they happened the examination of them could help in mitigating the consequences if not to eradicate loss of life ... I

lost too many mates and fellow competitors .. so that's good it's a lot safer now.

I also think that MCN (the ducati periodical) has a roll to play in preventing road accidents, and promoting racing at grass roots level. Unfortunatly they take the view that their income generation is more important

that promoting safety and potential British super stars. Hey, get yer knee down round roundabouts lads and see how everyone will be impressed (not least the hospital doctors and police). Money is all, and the

consequences could be serious ... our masters, at least this lot anyway, seem hell bent at making our lives safer and is more important than the enjoyment, should we so choose, of that life. The people I sadly

lost, all enjoyed what they did, those that could have helped in preventing that loss should be ashamed, in putting profit before lives.

Yes I'm an old fart, but youngsters are slowly being prevented from taking up bikes .. witness bhp limits, mph limits, bans for 6 points or more, test centres hundreds of miles away, stuck on a low powered bike

for ages, £500 to £1000 to take and pass a test .. hey why bother, wait a year till 17 and buy a car and then I'll be OK... might kill a few people when I get loopy but I'll be OK. Such a shame, missing so much fun

... Here endeth the winge ...

More grey hair ....

My most scarey moment? 1. My first full flat out Bray hilll moment ...on a 250 just scarey .. on a 350 .... 'kin 'ell!! managed it (just) flat on a 250 ... but the 350 was speed trapped at over 160 so if you put the

choke on before you get to the bottom of Bray it splutters a bit so you can go through flat in 5th gear .. a mere 150 ish and save your dignity .... 2. Sideways at 120mph just before the pub about 4 miles from the

start line seized and shattered crank and cases ... rear tyre hit the kerb, bouncing me back straight .... coasted to a halt ....was still shaking and hour and several brandies, pints, bags of crisps and peanuts later

.. oh 'ello darlin' 'ave ya found me bike, hic.. meet Bill 'ere, hic .... give us a kiss, hic ...ouch!!!

Most satisfying moment .. far too many to recount but recently having a (the?) very fast (est) bantam rider of my era send me a photo with him lapping me on a borrowed bantam, thoughtfuly explaining that we

were dicing .. er I don't think so .. I never got within smelling distance of his exhaust when I rode bantams!! ... except when he lapped me that is!!

Well I thought it was funny and very nice of him.

Funny moments?

Spotting Josie Curtis burying herself in her tank down the Snetterton straight, and, approaching her at a rate of knots on me yam was me .. slapped her bum as I went past!! Lovelly!! Sorry Josie!

Just remembered another ... a certain rider at Cadwell was staying in the paddock in his quite lavishly fitted and equiped van ... had a certain lady who was not his wife with him ...(said wife was very nice and

popular with us) now this did not go unoticed by some of the riders who were ..I guess just jealous really of his success with sponsors (well I was anyway!) .. though not on track ... anyway a bunch of us went to

the pub .. coming back sometime past midnight we saw and heard some .. er activity in a very lonely parked van .. now, this may have been unkind ... but we reconed it was just .. 4 guys either side of the van ..

quiet lads .. wait for even more activity .. now, rock! (the van) well ... it did rock quite well .. in fact I think the wheels come off the ground .. lots of noise, nay swearing from inside .. cans of oil, tins, spares,

generally pretty noisy .... anyway crept back to our respective tents wet from laughter ... next day .. said rider was asking around who did it ... why who would do such a thing!! I know, and nothing would

persuade me to divulge the names of the guilty ... even if I could remember who they were...
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2   Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 7:39 am

lol!
Those were the days Keith, had loadsa fun. Funny we both had dealings with Mr.Abbott, my last bantam was his old one which I bought for 150 squid at Debden. I had borrowed Mick Bridges bike, well you did for me to ride. Got a 6th place on a bike that was soooooo small i could hardly ride it. That was my return to bantams and the ex Roger one got we loadsa wins and places till i sold it to Ron Curtis's mate, can't remember his name.
I remember borrowing your bantam twice, run out of juice at Snetterton and pushed home to 10th with much applause from the pits and then i dumped it at Cadwell while going for the lead in an inter race, with no applause from you. Embarassed
To tell you the truth, after I threw the Greeves up the road at Brands, something snapped in me. I lost alot of interest and at my tender age, birds and booze got more attention. It was when I moved from Walthamstow to Saffron Walden(Essex) that something snapped back. I found myself suddenly riding so much better, it even surprised me. My race preperation was good, my two stroke tuning abilities were far better and i was brimming with confidence. Very strange that the move out of London should affect me in that way.
Your right about the BRC being the best club at the time, i took over your old job of trophy secretary and Heather, my first wife was assistant competition secretary. My Dad gave the spare room in his pub to the club for free for committee meetings as well, which was a nice touch. They even roped me in as the MC at the 1982 D&D, good fun as i was half pissed at the time. drunken
Anyway good times all round, I'll mail ya Webby.....promise Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Random thoughts of a senile old fart part 2
Page 1 of 1