BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello and merry christmas...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
daemonoid

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Hello and merry christmas... Empty
PostSubject: Hello and merry christmas...   Hello and merry christmas... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:21 am

Hi all, and merry christmas.

I'm new to the forum, I'm intending to purchase a bantam early in the new year. Having spotted this site i figured i could kill two birds with one stone... first i can improve my mechanic skills and second i can do some competative motor racing.

So, i need some advice to start with:

I'm a newbie, it says on the site i should go for 175cc not 125cc, is that correct?

Which revision should i get? the site suggests a D7 but that's a stock 7.4bhp, is a D14s stock 12.6bhp a better proposition? What kind of bhp am i aiming for in a competative bike?

Thanks all in advance.
Back to top Go down
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello and merry christmas...   Hello and merry christmas... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Advice as always get yourself to Mallory and have a look at the race Bantams on show,ask for advice, lots on offer. All far from standard, but building is achievable to most with some mech experience and if you have decent access to engineering equipment even better.

forget d14s

Tony
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Newbie   Hello and merry christmas... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 7:54 pm

Hello Mr. Daemenoid!
It is much easier to build a 175 as you can use the standard flywheels to start with. This cuts out a lot of engineering for the beginner and makes life a bit simpler. The 125 riders are very technical and the machines are much nearer to grand prix standard (seriously).
The 4 speed engines are not very good for use as you have to use the standard gearboxes (see rules), no matter what you do you end up not getting the best set of ratios, and will find yourself riding a two speed bantam instead of a 4! (check out the rules pages on the main site). Stick with 3 speed close box and you will go far! in other words no advantage in using D14 at all!
Another good tip is to use the sandcast cases, the cases are much stronger and will last better, the diecast ones tend to break up after a few seasons hard racing, so early stuff is better for racing, but there are some good machines out there with diecast cases, so not a hard and fast rule.
Engine output is a bit of an odd thing to talk about with racing bantams! It is the spread of power that creates a good bike not the amount! but if you have a good spread and a max of 18 BHP and can ride well you will not be last... but if you want a fast 125 engine then you need to be mid twenties BHP or you don't get a sniff! to win you need to ride real well....
Get to Mallory at the practice day and race day and get talking to people in your area to help as the task is not easy!
Hope this is useful
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello and merry christmas...   Hello and merry christmas... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello and merry christmas...
Page 1 of 1