BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

gearing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mutt

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-11-30

gearing Empty
PostSubject: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 6:42 am

Hello , this is my first post. My name is Mutt. I would sure like to know where I could purchase the main shaft and first gear (layshaft) for the close ratio set up I see in tyhe tuning section.
I already have the second and high gears in extra close ratio. Any help or will I have to have the gear and shaft made myself? If no one has a set for sale, could someone measure the o.d. of the layshaft low gear and let me know and I will see about having some made. I know it will be quite expensive, but the stock low gear ratio stinks. My bike runs out in first almost immediately !!!
Mutt
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

gearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Mutt,
Pleased to see that you finally got logged in ok.
Getting close gears is always a problem, you can try the usual ebay that comes up with the occasional set, then there are the bike shows and papers, maybe ask around in the paddock at a race meeting. Or speak to Brian white who does a good conversion that works well. Otherwise you will struggle, no one is manufacturing the complete set at all.
Good luck with this.
Are you in the UK and likely to come out racing with the club? where are you based?
Regards,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
Mutt

gearing Empty
PostSubject: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 1:55 am

Are the part #'s listed on the tuning page Factory part numbers?

How do I reach this Brian White?

No, unfortunately, I am in the USA so I can't make it to all of your races. We race here in teh States, but it is all grass track.
Back to top Go down
Mutt

gearing Empty
PostSubject: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 2:13 am

I found (3) NOS 90-0448 close ratio first gears. Does anyone have one of the 90-1489 main shafts for sale, or does anyone have one that isn't in a motor right now? If someone could measure the o.d. of the gear on the shaft, that would help.
Also does any one know this Tom Miller on the Ramsy track on youtube?
The viedo is good, but I would like to see a close up of the bike
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

gearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 6:12 am

Hi to make C/R Mainshaft take a road mainshaft and replace the gear on the mainshaft with the push on gear of a road layshaft
and yes I know tom very well. what do you need to no about his bike
Robbie
Back to top Go down
Mutt

gearing Empty
PostSubject: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Well, that solves the last of the close ratio gear problems.

I actually have 3 sets of the special gears(2nd and high). 2 sets are the close ratio and one set is the extra close ratio. Since finding the 3 NOS layshaft c/r gears and getting this info on the c/r mainshaft, the only other question I have about the gears now is "how does one attatch the layshaft gear to the mainshaft"?

As for Tom Miller, his bike sounds the best I have ever heard. Awesome. The video at Ramsy is nice, but no close up of his bike.

I was just wondering what transmission/wheel sprockets he was using on that particlaur track and I sorta wanted to see the chamber on the bike. It sounds like he utilizies a reed plate, no? Also, does he utilize a fixed advance or a varible advance? WHo sells a varible advance ignition?

This Brian White fella, does he cast special cylinders? The reason for asking is I had a special cylinder cast for me by a fella in UK (by way of Rex Caunt) afew years ago. The job was super quality. I would like to buy another cylinder, but don't know how to contact Brian.

If it's not a problem, I would appreciate advice on securing the l/s gear onto the mainshaft. I have a complete machine and welding shop of my own, just haven't quite figured out how to do the attatchment. I am pretty sure it can't be pinned, as the clutch pushrod rides inside the mainshaft. Simply pressing it on seems like it would just slip under load and welding would seem to weaken the shafts heat treatment.
Thanks Robbie

Mutt
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

gearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 6:40 pm

I speak to tom and get back to you
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

gearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi mutt
to put the gear on the mainshaft you need to copy the spline
on the layshaft and press the gear on not to tight or it will spilt
I am running one of these shafts with no problem
toms engine or should I say my engine.after a phone call found out that that video was 3 years ago and that engine I now own which will be going into a racer next year for my son michael if plans go right
the engine is 54X54 PISTON PORTED STRAIGHT LINE IGNITION
Back to top Go down
South Oz Dave

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-10-19

gearing Empty
PostSubject: You people are godsends!   gearing Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Folks, I was despairing of solving the mainshaft / layshaft problems (and lack thereof due to none being available for months).

This Site is fantastic as here in Australia, racing bantams, with such a wonderful and rich history, have all but disappeared.

Thanks to you all.
Back to top Go down
South Oz Dave

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-10-19

gearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Please

Any access (contacts) to CR main and lay shafts, (or any CR pieces) would be an enourmous help. Happy to pay to get the resources here.
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

gearing Empty
PostSubject: Re: gearing   gearing Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 am

Hi Dave
you can make the main and layshafts from road parts read what I put on here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

gearing Empty