BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brakes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Brakes   Brakes Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 am

Is everyone going the big disc route nowadays?? 320mm sort of thing?I think they are too big and on a bant don't get hot enought to work properly! I prefer a smaller disc (get up to a high temp) to save on unsprung weight and come to that narrow ally rims and light gauge spokes with small nipples too... I think there is a lot to be saved with the parts you use to build your wheels - and don't use stainless steel spokes they are too heavy. For looks I'd like to have two small disc's like on GP250's they are real smart but way to powerful prob bend your frame under braking or send you straight over the top!? Bantam racers generally do different things so I'm waiting to see a Buell type rim disc in the near future by some bright fellow or perhaps a Buell type rear suspension with shock under the lower frame tube? Maybe with an ally swinging arm? Now there's a challenge! To get back to brakes - if a big disc was needed Pete Tibbitts would have one.......
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: big Brakes   Brakes Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi Mike,
I will be staying on the big disk brakes on the rolling chassis that I have. It is a 320 mm disk but a very small caliper from an MB50. The overall arrangement is light enough and very powerful, but I can wear out the pads through a season. At less than £15 a set I think this is good value and plenty enough brakes for me!
See you all at the Dinner and Dance.
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Optimum Front disc dia.   Brakes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 am

Mike,

You are absolutely right as usual.

"Bacon slicers" e.g. large discs, also are none too good in sidewinds
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brakes
Page 1 of 1