BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Standard port timings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Greenbat

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Standard port timings Empty
PostSubject: Standard port timings   Standard port timings Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 7:01 am

Does anyone know the standard exhaust port timing for a B175? It's for my cafe racer again. I haven't altered the port timing yet as I don't know what I'm doing there and don't want to bugger up my barrel.
Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: long shot   Standard port timings Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 6:40 pm

This might be a long shot but if you can access Gordon Blair's books/papers (Queen's Uni, Belfast etc), you may find the port timings in those as I am pretty certain he was involved in the design of this barrel. Your local library would be a good place to start.
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: B175 port timings   Standard port timings Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Greenbat, please e mail me direct: johnS.bantam@xtra.co.nz I have copies of the last SAE papers Todd produced, copyright etc prevents me from sharing them openly and directly. I can perhaps hint at port timings used ! But they may not be the same as B175, the SAE publications were I think what was used for the 1968 alloy barrells and projected D18 project. I have long pondered / enquired about the port timings of various Bantam barrels. Somewhere, apparently is some factory information that lists this, but I ain't found it yet. Furthermore, no one has yet explained the oft written and quoted diffrences between D14 and B175. I have measured them both down the barrel, but not with a timing disc and they seem the same. Despite different carb settings etc
Back to top Go down
Greenbat

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Standard port timings   Standard port timings Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks for that John, I've sent you an email. Sounds like interesting reading.
According to Owen wrights book the B175 had a slightly lower CR and a centre plug head, which I believe made the same power as a D14. However I should point out mine has a D14 engine (though with B175 crank), the proper engine having been nicked from the previous owner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Standard port timings   Standard port timings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Standard port timings
Page 1 of 1