BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mark Carkeek at Lydden

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Mark Carkeek at Lydden Empty
PostSubject: Mark Carkeek at Lydden   Mark Carkeek at Lydden Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 2:02 am

On the Bantam for the first time since 2001, looking fast and neat, he recons 25-30 practice laps would see him top three competitive, we wish!
BKVP SPORT has agreat video(a disc now i suppose) entitled "Mark Carkeek in 1998 and 1999"where he competes against 250 and 350 machines.
It`s not the 48.1 meeting but a year later,he manages to pop in sub 49s laps consistently. All Bantam enthusiasts should have a copy of this exciting film
for it shows what can be achieved by stylish, fast and skillful riding,a very powerful engine and impecable assembly and pre-race preparation of the machine,the whole teame in harmony. Feast your selves and watch in awe at the maestro at play showing the big boys how its done !
As a final thought, could the main protagonists, and indeed any one else, between them suggest why this lap record has remained unchallenged for
so long? Both tyre , two-stroke and specific Bantam technology have progressed since 97 this is not reflected in reduced times for race wins.
Comments please guys, the free flow ideas and opinions is always of mutual benefit and everyone gains .
Kind regards, Trevor Amos

in
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark Carkeek at Lydden   Mark Carkeek at Lydden Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 5:30 am

Hi Trevor, yes Mark was/still! is a brilliant rider and it was no surprise to find out before I even knew him (1982ish), that he had competed in nationals and internationals (British GP I believe). This could be one reason for the Lydden lap record!? We don't have many ex-GP riders today, the closest is Pete Tibbitts ex TT racer and National winner (I think? correct me if I'm wrong Pete) and possibly Tom Snow current Manx and Irish roads competitor.
Other factors? the likes of Pete and I may have peaked now? possibly?
Tyres are actutly the same Dunlop KR825s,
Two stroke tuning has improved, if you have 6 gears perhaps a peaky 40bhp motor may be in order but having 3 gears a tractable 20-25bhp motor would be more useful ? And two stroke tuning books? the newest I own is a 1986 John Robinson one and thats is 24years out of date!
Lydden? I've been in the 49secs on 3 occasions 1986,1998 and 2001 but not on the other 20plus meetings there? Its just a Lydden thing?
Lap records sometime stand for many years I'm thinking of Dick Hunter Cadwell Park 1m21s in 1971? which stood for 12/14 years..
I think Marks record will stand for many many more years yet.....
Regards Mike
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Mark Carkeek at Lydden   Mark Carkeek at Lydden Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 10:20 am

Many enthusiasts for many years considered Dicks lap record as a bit suspect. Don't forget it was wined up watches and pen and paper in those days.
Mikes comment about Lyden is Oh so true. I recall on one occasion the track having a nice new surface. Thinking how much better is was going to be, all the quick guys bit the dust leaving the pots to the slower guys. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark Carkeek at Lydden   Mark Carkeek at Lydden Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 6:17 am

Ned, yes I knew that... Marks lap was also stop watch,pen and paper but i was there and don't doubt it. Human beings fingers and watches are slightly inaccurate but thats what we had in the day! I believe Dick did an 80mph lap of (short) Snetterton in 1971? :- source Peter Tibbits article ' A Return to Bantam Racing' cica 1987. Peter repeating this feat in the 1986 50 Miler catching me closing a 20plus second gap- but finnishing 1 sec behind me!! Bernie Webster did a 81mph lap in 1983 at a Formula Club meeting too...
Off course most historical circuits have now changed a little bit (extra chicane -Cadwell,Mallory x2!!) or completely like Ty Croes aka Anglesey...
Regards Mike
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Mark Carkeek at Lydden   Mark Carkeek at Lydden Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 pm

mjpowell wrote:
Bernie Webster did a 81mph lap in 1983 at a Formula Club meeting

Believe me Mike I remember that well. Bernie and I changed the lead a few times, braking the British Formula club record four times in the process. I crossed the line first but Bernie put the fastest lap in.
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Mark Carkeek at Lydden   Mark Carkeek at Lydden Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:41 pm

mjpowell wrote:
Ned, yes I knew that... Marks lap was also stop watch,pen and paper but i was there and don't doubt it. Human beings fingers and watches are slightly inaccurate but thats what we had in the day! I believe Dick did an 80mph lap of (short) Snetterton in 1971? :- source Peter Tibbits article ' A Return to Bantam Racing' cica 1987. Peter repeating this feat in the 1986 50 Miler catching me closing a 20plus second gap- but finnishing 1 sec behind me!! Bernie Webster did a 81mph lap in 1983 at a Formula Club meeting too...
Off course most historical circuits have now changed a little bit (extra chicane -Cadwell,Mallory x2!!) or completely like Ty Croes aka Anglesey...
Regards Mike

Hi Mike. It was Dave Hunter on his "ol Iron wheels" bike that did a 80 mph lap of the old 2.71 mile Snetterton circuit. Conditions were just right and he went for the lap time rather than a race victory. It was an October meeting, getting cooler, and of course Snetterton beinng only just above sea level, air density was high.

The shorter 1.917 mile circuit came into use at the beginning of the 1974 season.

Re the 50 miler, I see from my records (am sitting in workshop writing this rather than getting on with prepn), that we exchanged the lead over the first 9 laps, then mine seized at the hairpin at the end of the back straight. I started to tour back to the pits but it picked up and seemd OK. Was 15s down by lap 16, and got fastest lap of 1:25.7s (80.5 mph?) on the penultimate lap. As mike says I was exactly 1.0 s behind at the finish. Happy days indeed....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark Carkeek at Lydden   Mark Carkeek at Lydden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mark Carkeek at Lydden
Page 1 of 1