BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to toughen up a standard clutch

Go down 
+4
mjpowell
Derek
ROBBIE
garagehermit
8 posters
AuthorMessage
garagehermit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-19

How to toughen up a standard clutch Empty
PostSubject: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi everyone

I've built a racing bantam with yamaha internals and endless primary chain, i'm using uprated clutch springs and a 3 plate arrangment, but what other ways is there to stop the basket from opening up and releasing the plates.

Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 1:12 am

Hi you need to braz a steel band around the outside of the basket and run nine springs so when will your bike be ready is it a 175 or 125 ?
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Reliable Primary chains    How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 1:25 am

Hi Robbie - can you put me down for two of those super reliable Primary chains
please.

Regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 2:29 am

Like Rob says a band around the clutch drum - Also make up a thick clutch pressure plate with an undercut for the circlip to sit 'in' and bin the outer retaining plate and screws as picture....

How to toughen up a standard clutch 20122010011

Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: bantam clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 3:43 am

ive managed to come up with another way to get around this problem. it means a bit of drilling and tapping of the clutch basket assembly, installing 3 short studs throgh the basket and into the the chain drive wheel.then using two top dome plates one drilled to accept the cups and springs and the other sitting underneath as usual. modifiying the the steel drive plates to slide up and down on the studs and cutting back the steel friction plates so as to move freely passed the studs. ive used nylock nuts on the studs and made some tab washers to hopefully stop any loosening of the assembly.it seems to be working at this point, but im unable to fully test. i will attempt to get some pictures to up load showing how ive done it. i was inspired by the failure of alans clutch at pembury last year to find another way to stop the basket from opening up and failing. i was highly impressed with alans basket weaving expertise that day to enable him to get through the next race.....where theres a will theres a way!
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 4:08 am

And.... It actually worked and got me through the meeting, also with the aid of a heavy duty clutch top plate from Mike, and and a spare body from Mr. Redhead! and spring cups from everybody in the paddock.
Wish I had taken a picture of the assembly!!!!
Cheers
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 4:21 am

alan, hope your getting around a bit easier , looks like the weathers got a few of us back on line.. is there anyway of forwarding pm messages from my in box. ive just replied to a message from derek betts and ive only sent it to myself Embarassed
Back to top Go down
garagehermit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-19

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks guys and when it's done it will be a 125cc. I will let you all know how I get one.
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 4:15 am

https://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m583/nigelpictures/ ok... here are some pictures of my clutch set up...id be gratefull for any feed back comments /regarding this..its not been tested in as much as totally abused on the track and is still a working progress... sorry the pictures are a bit **** but .... i didnt use the radial bearing as shown as i couldnt get it to sit flat enough for the first domed drive plate to lie without rocking and not really making contact with the friction plate beneath .i did in the end re-use the original mushroom headed stem and fit anorher drive plate beneath the domed drive plate to ensure good contact with the friction plate beneath....
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Good Morning,

Is there a picture of the basket with the band and the pressure plate mod on here unbuilt, did check other posts but maybe missing it.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: clutch mod   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi. it’s always good to see new ways of doing things and to see new riders thinking of new ideas; this is the true essence of Bantam racing. The only point I would warn on is the heat generated by slipping the clutch will melt the nylon out of the nylock nuts.
SMIFFY

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to toughen up a standard clutch   How to toughen up a standard clutch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to toughen up a standard clutch
Page 1 of 1