BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tom Miller engine found on Ebay

Go down 
+6
biggie
alan
Ned
johnSbantam
mjpowell
Tim Cornish
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Empty
PostSubject: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 1:06 am

Item number: 330532472245

Was out scouting for parts for a jet engine I've got, found this "Tom Miller engine" under the highest first option. No photos though... Rare?

Haven't been on the Forum lately though, and I'm thinking about selling my project. I've got other things going, and I've been admitted into the National Rugby League 1 for London Irish, so I haven't had any time at all to work on the bike.

Good luck for the 2011 season everyone.

T
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 am

Don't think it will be a Tom motor coz there weren't many built. This motor has been on ebay before spoke to Tom then and 'Eagle' doesn't mean anything to him. If it was a Tom motor it would be a 54x54 and by my reckoning there were only ever 4 motors but 8 top ends(2 reed valve) and i know where 7 of the 8 are....
The ebay listing has little info.... it may be someone else's attempt.... may be good may be poor...
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 am

Opportunity seldom knocks twice

I'll keep on messaging the seller.... I'm a pest at times like this! I'm in South Africa now, and have been for the past week, but I'll be in the UK soon; just visiting some relatives and getting back to my Afrikaner life. There are Bantams down here and in Zimbab too..

Sorta have come to a brick wall in the project at the moment, too many things to account for and too little time. After dismantling the engine I am stuck what to do next. Meh, I'll probably find something to do, just consulting whether to sell or not..

T
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: TM WC motor   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm

I e- mailed the vendor regarding this motors provenance.
He says it was used by Mike Scutt and he has history.
Photos to come.
Should be interesting !

I was back in Blighty last week to see my sick old Dad, going from high summer/shorts and T shirt to your mid winter was a bit of a shock to the old system !
Sorry, didn't have much time for other things.

If Derek wants some more tech chat, will make up for it !
Where do you want to start ? Laser cut high tech clutch plates, CNC clutch spring plates, alloy clutch covers, 4 speed CR gears ????
I could tell you more, but my 4 stroke <63 250 competition might get the jump on me!
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Same here; I got that response too. He's removed the listing though. He said he's got a Syphon pipe to go with it, some split sprockets and alloy wheels. It was included in a job lot of bits he got with 2 race Bantams? Sounds interesting to me..

So there are Bantams in NZ then, John? We've got them over here in Zimbab (was Rhodesia) and South Africa actually..

Mostly I do not mind where to start.. If you want to email me my address is tim.cornish@tiscali.co.uk. At the moment my 1952/53 D1 engine is on the workbench broken in two with the crank being inspected (sort of..), and the D7 rolling chassis I picked up last year on it's center stand at the front. I broke a few piston rings trying to prise the thing apart, but atleast I've got some spare. My local BSA Bantam helper, "Bournemouth Bantams" has run off the live in France after financial problems with other customers, which is a shame.

I know I need to do the wiring definitely, and fix the jammed gear change shaft. Strangely it looks like it is in the photo in my Haynes Bantam Manual... but it won't budge. After that I'd need to fix the wiring loom that came cut off from the generator and bandaged up when it arrived from David Brasier.. This is going to be a long, long road until the finish!

John if you want to message this chat by email my address is tim.cornish@tiscali.co.uk

T
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:55 am

johnSbantam wrote:
I e- mailed the vendor regarding this motors provenance.
He says it was used by Mike Scutt and he has history.
Photos to come.
Should be interesting !

Perhaps I'm a skeptic. But I notice the seller is in Cornwall, and it was a a year or two ago that a guy in Cornwall was advertising the Bantam raced by Mick in the TT. The photos were of a café racer and definitely not Mick's.
I wonder if Mick knows he has a fan club in Cornwall Very Happy
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

PostSubject: Eagle motor   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:53 pm

This is the "Eagle" motor, look familiar ?Tom Miller engine found on Ebay 60071078@N06
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Grrr, still the techno is beyond me !Tom Miller engine found on Ebay 60071078@N06
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Tried Tony's advice "inserting Image from Flkr" any thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:03 pm

www.flickr.com/photos/60071078@N06/
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Can't seem to get pictures, but maybe links will work:
www.flickr.com/photos/60071078@N06/5484594365/
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Maybe someone could ask Tom about this motor?
It doesn't look as though it has a crank or gearbox cluster.
Curious and curiouser !
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi John,
I use photo-bucket which gives a couple of different options when inserting the image. Also you may be adding too many img commands which I did when first trying to sort out this as well!
Hope all is still well in New Zealand.
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 pm

The motor looks like a 'Tom' as its the same type of head as 002engine (ex Ned,Rick Powell,Me,Keith Woods,Mick Potter and now with Phil Betty) Looks to be std 60x60 stud spacing(175) and its been linered which it not a normal Tom practice?! So perhaps its by another Eastern Centre production (shared info)... Possibly Ned's first water-cooled top end,circa 81-82 (before being replaced by Tom's first reed motor) that top end went to the late John Marks - then Graham Keeble?- and sold abroad...
Notice from Johns pic its got a single ring piston? Looks like a good buy shold it come back on the market?
I'll ask Tom some questions tonight....
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:21 am

I too got the photos John, looked very interesting to me, too complicated, but nice to look at. Could it get any simpler perhaps? I have no idea how you guys understand all of this, but I guess you could probably say the same to me about quantum and particle physics. What is this business about "Eastern Center" or "North East Center"?

It does look an intriguing engine I must say, and this was all done without computers I guess? Still old technology looks new... Everyone must row with the oars he has..
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 am

"I got it from a person in norfolk called J Evans? also some Names were on a pice of paper with the history of the engine Tom miller, Mike Powel, colin urbry, Gorge Farrenden, Ted smith. dose this help? "
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:47 am

Just spoke to Tom he has seen the pictures... and yes it is a Tom top end he remembers his handywork.. Thinks its one of his early attempts hince 175 barrell lined don't need to braze ports on you use the ports that are already there, also inlet tract/carb mount small stud spacing to large spacing. Remembers one piece heads he had cast - he made the core boxes. He thinks he may of let Ted have a top end/engine? perhaps George Farenden rode it and then later was sold to Colin Aubrey? Anyhow some needs to buy it if its on the market??

Tim in days of old Bantam Club had local social meetings in pubs some centres were:-

South East - Kent/south London
Eastern (Superior?) - Essex/North London
South West - Bristol and area
Cobblers - Northamtonshire
Cheshire - Cheshire
and many many more...

The only one still meeting is The Eastern Centre at Great Whalley? off M25 J28? Monthly? I went once a couple of years ago... There still active Tom, Brian(BTW) Ted, Sport-pics Rusty and more...
Back to top Go down
biggie

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-11-11

PostSubject: Eagle   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 am

Smile I told you so lol .... Its my engine, I have had it for some time but just dont want to let it go I was thiking about rebuilding it, I would love to have a go at racing but the problem is at 6ft 5 and 24stone even this egine has no hope!

Last edited by biggie on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:34 am

mjpowell wrote:

Tim in days of old Bantam Club had local social meetings in pubs some centres were:-

How very dare you ! EAST London Please. We is Cockernys init.

We also had an annual team race that was well contested between the centers.

The only one still meeting is The Eastern Centre at Great Whalley? off M25 J28? Monthly? I went once a couple of years ago... There still active Tom, Brian(BTW) Ted, Sport-pics Rusty and more...

I didn't know that ! When do they meet ? I will try to get to a couple.
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: biggie   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 pm

hi just read your post, why not rebuild it anyway, im sure some one would offer a home to use such engine, you dont even have to sell it, its my opinion such an engine should never be left to go rusty.

love the head casting, can not imagine what the core boxes would have looked like, but another little gem from that shed, just amazing what comes out of it.

Back to top Go down
biggie

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 am

Yeh I think I will.... how dose that work literally let someone use the engine and when you want it back you can have it? Also what would happen if the engine blew up? I would love to see it race again. I have had it on the internet before and I had lots of people saying no its not a Tom Miller engine and I think most were from this site, it was funny.... and a tad stressful! I have a racing tyre too that you may find interesting its a dunlop KR73 2.75.18 its like new! also a load of split sprockets, racing seat and tank and a 2 bantam trailer if anyone is interested I know it is off topic a bit but I also have a bridgstone 90 bike a bit smaller than a bantam dose anyone remember them I got it for my dad as it was his firs ever bike there great bikes oil injection in 1968! also obviously you know all about the dkw RT125 but did you know the engine was also used in a harley and it was called the hummer have a look its very interesting http://harleyhummer.com
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 am

Biggie, at least you have an advantage... I'm 6' 6 3/4" with a 15 1/2 stone load... and still counting..! We South African's are bigger than our UK counterparts really..

T

Back to top Go down
biggie

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:36 am

Haha well Im actually English lol but spent a lot of time over in SA Smile its the sun hay it makes you grow lol
Back to top Go down
Sport-Pics

Sport-Pics

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:28 am

nedquirey wrote:
mjpowell wrote:

How very dare you ! EAST London Please. We is Cockernys init.

We also had an annual team race that was well contested between the centers.

I didn't know that ! When do they meet ? I will try to get to a couple.

It's Great Warley (Whalley indeed!) We meet every other Wednesday throughout the year, so if you could make tomorrow night at the Thatchers Arms, Great Warley, Brentwood (on the sharp bend) I'll get you a beer.

Rusty

PS for some silly reason we don't get there until around 10.00 pm Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.sport-pics.co.uk
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:53 am

bettsd wrote:
hi just read your post, why not rebuild it anyway, im sure some one would offer a home to use such engine, you dont even have to sell it, its my opinion such an engine should never be left to go rusty.

love the head casting, can not imagine what the core boxes would have looked like, but another little gem from that shed, just amazing what comes out of it.

I agree with your post there Derek, no engine like this shouldn't be left to rust, it should really be raced again, if needs necessary. Offers sound good, I guess, but it's up to Biggie.

As you said, what are the seats and tanks like? Are they fiberglass or metal? And yeah haha, and the food! Do you speak a bit of Afrikaans?

T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tom Miller engine found on Ebay   Tom Miller engine found on Ebay Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tom Miller engine found on Ebay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next