BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reliability = milage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Reliability = milage Empty
PostSubject: Reliability = milage   Reliability = milage Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

The reason Peter and I have reliable racers is because we both keep 'notes'....
Notes (race logs) nearly everthing about a race including lap times, changes to bike and milage of parts..

Peter sometimes pushes the envolope so to speak and goes beyond his previous milage but monitors part wear..
Hence leaving his big end go a little to far, seeing excess wear and having saturday off racing prior to 3 sisters to rebuild his crank. Then his 'piston broke' at Lydden (over milage)...

My 1 breakdown this year was a snapped ignition coil wire(so poor prep) my other non-finishes were 'offs'

My milage regime is:-
Big end -Change conrod,bearing,crankpin and shims every 1000 miles
(or bearing every 500 x2 and rod,crankpin etc at 1500 miles)

Main bearings 500 miles

Gearbox bearings 500 miles

Small end 400 miles(caged roller) 300(crowded roller)

Piston 250 (but check for cracks after every meeting)

Ring 150(check wear in bore- ring gap)

Primary chain 300(a season)

Some 175 runners have been known to keep a 'racing log' of race day pictures but no information whatsoever!!
Some racers just wait until something 'lets go'!!
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Reliability = milage   Reliability = milage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 am

Hi mike sorry but we don't buy the story, what your saying, you got to have a routine, like you check the piston skirt every meeting, what's other things in your routine checks??

like before a meeting, what do you do during a meeting too what are you checking, Peter Tibbiits hibernates away in his van during a meeting, you hardly ever see him, unless you knock on him, he never walks round the paddock you and he always appear to be doing or checking something, you and he are not mileageing parts at this stage" now are you". ?.

Derek
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Reliability = milage   Reliability = milage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 am

Hi all
I have a little blue book which goes with me to the meetings
as for keeping a check on the motor was apart between every meeting last year
so got very well checked
so who could that 175 rider be woz not me Surprised Surprised
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Reliability = milage   Reliability = milage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am

Derek .....Who's the 'We' ?

Top end comes off after every meeting to check piston(removed from rod assy) and get any moisure out of cases. Try to keep the bottom end together for 500 miles before doing bearings etc - not good to take apart all the time you wear it out!! Everything else motor wise a causal look...

Before meeting a good clean and polish - you find things then ie broken spokes, loose brackets and the like...

post practice and every race - visual check, check battery voltage.

chill out, relax, read tuning books, make tea, drink tea, race seeleyG50 and so on.......

remeber to write notes at the end of the day, to reflect and the changes made and post importantly remove any photos from notes so they don't turn into a photo album!!

Derek you are very good at asking questions but not very good at answering them! What Bhp did you get at the rolling road last sunday .... or is it a secret??
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Reliability = milage   Reliability = milage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 am

Hi I'm sincerely sorry for not answering that question.

On RR and BHP - but seriously we are awaiting some bits, I have made a new pipe, plus some mods to old pipe, inc tail pipe diameter with a new alum silencer fitting both pipes making it interchangeable, we have been paying particular attention to the internal diameters, pipe volume, and tail pipe entry, we have done a temporary fixing to the barrel, but will change this to race, it if proves ok on the next Dyno, next run planned later this month,

we should all book a Dyno for half day, agree location agree to meet spend day sorting looking learning, I have asked one such place who would charge by structure - £10 for a run and print off curve reading etc then after based on time your on it, could be organised and booked in advance, even invite those who are building to watch, make the tea!! take note learn what to take notes on,?

Not sure how or if this would work, I would find it very interesting, as I'm new to RR and Dyno (only ever been on two one in 1988 and once on Micky N), so keen to learn how, I should be doing it, sure those going on regularly basis, could help the beginners and other, learn how what should be done, we are learning by trial error, this is time consuming and could end up being costly.

what do you think - more importantly stop all this bull on actual BHP figures past or present.

We is my team. ! this means anyone who helps or has helped me, or talking to me about the subject in question, We means, I' have talked to others about it and we think, like when you write a book and copy articles from others, you then mention them in the indexes, as a respect for using there information, so when I say we Im respecting those that talk to me and help me, We means mean You - Brian, Tom, Alan, Trevor, John, Dad, ED, Di.

hope I answered all your questions

Kind regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reliability = milage   Reliability = milage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reliability = milage
Page 1 of 1