BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Forum Boost

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 5:48 am

Good Evening,

as a new person to this and a current builder it has been very good to see pictures and explanations of how things are done by people, has really helped to get back into the build and feel that questions can be asked and get peoples points of view.

Many Thanks

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 am

Hi Eddie welcome, what you building 125 / 175 where are with your build engine frame rolling road/ we get many dreamer on here and there is much wealth and knowledge for you to tap into so tap in and start type and asking those questions.

but first tell us about your bike how long you been doing it - years months just started.

for those in the know this is not my son edward !!

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:12 am

Evening Ed

Thats good to hear, i thought technical things may put people off prep-ing a bantam for race use...
Just remember don't go to deep into it all, start off simple lots of mods may have little or no advantage?
Hope you are getting thinks sorted...

Mike
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:28 am

Good Evening,

We are building a 175 racer, i can understand you get a lot of dreamers on here and i understand that replies dont always come thick and fast as you guys are close to practice day and your race season. Been building it for quite a few years now but this has not been down to lack of enthusiasm but other things.

with regards to the engine that is all built but untested as it needs a carb and an exhaust, frame has been has been chosen and a set of forks sorted done and put in along with a front wheel hopefully we will use. Have tank, seat unit and fairing but have to work out brackets for them all.

Hopefully will try and put some photo's up soon.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:29 am

Good Evening,

We are building a 175 racer, i can understand you get a lot of dreamers on here and i understand that replies dont always come thick and fast as you guys are close to practice day and your race season. Been building it for quite a few years now but this has not been down to lack of enthusiasm but other things.

with regards to the engine that is all built but untested as it needs a carb and an exhaust, frame has been has been chosen and a set of forks sorted done and put in along with a front wheel hopefully we will use. Have tank, seat unit and fairing but have to work out brackets for them all.

Hopefully will try and put some photo's up soon.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:45 am

you got some pics to show us then ?, when you planning to start racing?, you done the engine yourself ? if not who did.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Good Morning Derek,

im gonna take some pictures this morning and take the camera to work and upload them hopefully at lunchtime, As for racing im not sure as its dads bike bike and he will ride it so will be down to getting it finished so hopefully sooner rather than later.

With regards to the engine we sourced all the parts we could ourselves and your dad built it and made the other bits we needed along with also doing the frame/forks modification for us.

Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 12:56 am

https://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i471/EdwardPickering/?action=view&current=6.jpg
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:15 am

are you sure you mean my dad ?? .

My Dad retired and moved to Gloster, at least 10 years ago, where are you based, what's your dads name I will call dad and ask tonight, ?
my dad has done some bits for me, but mainly builds live steam locomotive models ? he is a close aquantence of Peter Waterman and works on his full sizes trains for him as an enthusiast once a week, never new he was doing pieces for others too,

Ill have to ask him?

regards Derek

Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 3:52 am

Great Colour -French Blue I believe? Did your dad buy a fairing off me at Lydden 2005? The manufacture of the glass wear looks excellent!! And the motor looks purposeful I see its a BTW casting;did Brian port it for you too?

Are you having an upswept pipe done? Judging by your pipework on the floor... The pipe on the 175 sprinter on the site works well, well it did on Jimmy's (now Snowy's)...

I see you already have your rear hub drilled out.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: formula 175 Amos Pipe   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 4:41 am

we should ask Trevor to design another formula Pipe for the 175cc class, to replace the current pipe, Mike says works well. but
John senddle says gives a norrower power band than needed - posted a while back.

what you think Trevor ? can you hesitatingly! allow us to persuade you to contribute a new pipe design for the forum "in fact" you already have one ??

Remeber that article "Bantams and Superbikes" a piece in there says you built a 190cc banatm a real flyer" raced I believe by Dave ? not sure, I still have the articlesomewhere, keep meaning to give it to Alan to load on here for other to read, great reading.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mm_tribsa

mm_tribsa

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 am

New bike looks great and a credit to you to get this far, motor and fibreglass in particular wouldn't be out of place in the paddock thats for sure

Frame and running gear needs some work but to be honest that's the easy bit, actually I recognise the front end off a Yam RD100, had the same on mine back in the 80's, quite adequate to get you started...caliper has a tendancy to stick on the slides and then provide poor stopping but can be easily freed up if that happends.
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 am

Hi Mike,

It is a good colour, my dad did did speak to you and got the fairing from you at lydden and picked it up from pembrey if he remembers right and then got the seat and tank from jimmy in colours to match. yes brian did the initial porting for my dad. With regards to the exhaust we are open to offers and help as the items you see are merely ideas. The rear is from another project to help with mock up but may work.

Thanks for the comments mm_tribsa, always a work in progress and hopefully with a few contacts we will get the frame and running gear sorted, with regards to the forks they are off a yamaha rd125dx and dad has a few calipers to try and see what will fit and work best.

Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 am

Hi Eddie,

Lekker bike! (Tasty as we say, in South Africa). Nice colour, enjoyed the photos of the engine. What are the frame and front end arrangements for your bike? That'll probably be the make or break point for my bike, after the engine.

T
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 am

Good Evening Tim,

Thanks for the comments, with regards to the frame and forks it is a d7 frame and rd125dx forks althought that is what we have done. Have a look through the forum as there is alot of ideas on here and these gents know there stuff and what works and we are all learning if you are serious, races are a good place to get ideas and advice providing they arent busy.

Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:39 am

Did you modify the headstock for the bearings? It looks that way....! and yes, thank you, I might go that way, I have a Bantam too, but not a racing one, sort of, in bits as I should put it; many small bits.. Littering my garage/make-shift workshop... Need to get round to ordering things.. don't even know that the engine has actually run yet, never been run when I had it. Plus there's too much mud in the cases, no idea how to remove in little time.

Just in case, if you want to look here's my photobucket:

https://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/timbantamracer/

T
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Tim, i will ask my dad about the head stock as he will have the notes about it al. We all have to start somewhere as thats what i did but fingers crossed you get somewhere with yor bantam and i will try and have a look at your pics tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:55 am

True, very true. I started January 2010, but planning was started about August 2009. Long project in the making... Not deterred by other people who have nearly finished after I had started, and I'm only trying to make the thing work! Haven't even started tuning it yet, let alone the facilities I have.... Which is nil.

T
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:28 am

Hi Tim,

the headstock had new cups and taper bearings put on it, the advice you get on here it very good and encouraging so keep at it.

Eddie

Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 am

Cheers Eddie. Sounds technical to me, far ahead whatever I could do with the things I have now. I've only got a 1952 D1 engine you see, going 125 instead of 175. Made a list of the tuning bits and bobs I can do; running a 54.5X54, with TZ250E rod, RM125 piston, etc, if you message me I could give you the whole list, without it being scrutinized on here openly.

But without a doubt I need a huge frame though, I'm 6' 6 3/4" and still growing, already 15.5 stone, touching 16 stone slightly. Bantam will easily be underpowered, so I doubt it'll go far! It's the rugby you see, big Afrikaner rugby lad on a small British bike, never!

T
Back to top Go down

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:13 am

Hi Tim,

was too technical for me too as im an av technician by trade, i will send you a message but i can say you will only get help on here and people are willing to help when they have time so you have nothing to worry about, i have met a few people off here at race meetings quite a few years agao and have found them nothing but nice.

still growing! Blimey your mum love the food bill affraid

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:37 am

Ah, same here. I've only ever been to two meetings; Lydden 2009 and 2010 season, it's the closest track to me down here in Southampton! I will post the full list now if I can, just need to copy it off an email I recently sent.

54 BORE X 54.5 STROKE.
TZ250E ROD, 110MM IN LENGTH SO FITS PERFECTLY.
RM125D PISTON OR YDS7/RD.
38MM LECTRON CARB, BUT I MIKE STICK WITH MY INITIAL IDEA OF USING MY AMAL.
BIG HOLE IN PISTON NEEDED TO IMPROVE HIGHER RPM AND ALSO PISTON SKIRTING.
96MM DIAMETER FLYWHEELS, 20MM THICK WITH A "BUILT IN" SHIM OF AROUND 0.5MM AROUND THE SHAFTS.
13MM WILL NEEDED TO BE CHOPPED OFF FROM THE CRANKCASE MOUTH.
EXHAUST PORT ABOUT 37MM IN DIAMETER, IF KEPT ROUND, AS CAN THE INLET PORT BE.

If i've done anything wrong, or made any stupid calculations/mechanical mishaps someone please highlight them, don't want a bollocking for an amateur's point of view ha! Just to say, this is for the future, not for now, seeing I've never ran my engine! But i'm close though, I will tune it when I prove the fact that it actually runs first haha!

T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Forum Boost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Boost   Forum Boost Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forum Boost
Page 1 of 1