BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New frame

Go down 
+3
mjpowell
alan
michaelbrown
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-06-05

New frame Empty
PostSubject: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Just to let you all know thanks to my old man and Tom the new frame is under way and if goes aswell as it looks then should be in for a good season hope to have frame finished before practice day will try to upload photos before hope everyone is well and hope to see everyone at mallory Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am

Hi Michael,
Thought you ought to have a picture of you on the forum to match yer dad's!!
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 am

Michael what power lump have you got this year? 175 or a 125? Just weighing up the opposition you see.
That makes 10 SMS frames then?
Did Rob/Tom use the remnents of 006? Make sure you set the head angle correctly the last this you want is 57 degrees or something!?

Regards Mike
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 am

Michael, what frame did you use? Just inquisitive that's all...

Geniet die dag!

T
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Micjhael "great to see you posting" - looks like you will beat the old man - your frame sounds really interesting, but more to the point what you doing on the Engine, !!!!

kind regards Derek.
Back to top Go down
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi Tim we used a d7 frame and Derek we have not done anything to the engine as the frame was holding me back last season not the engine
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 am

Michael were the savable bits of 006 used in the frame build? If so that means Rob,Tom,Pete Styles and me built your frame??? lol

Mike
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 am

No 10 slow progress hopin to be in paint at weekend and ready for Friday week if not race day cheers
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 am

Robbie do you mean 010? (oh-one-oh)

I did you use the remains of 006??
Back to top Go down
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 3:22 am

New frame D2437730
New frame 33c60a7a
New frame E76759ca
Back to top Go down
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 3:28 am

New frame C2e2d6ba
New frame 014907c3
New frame 92289d41
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 3:40 am

Looks the business Michael, or "lekker" as I should say haha. I probably will never get my frame/bike looking like that, but "good show" anyway. Keep up the good work.

T
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 4:17 am

Frame looks 'top notch' Michael !! Looks the part!

Here's the original 001 having a replacement fairing fitted earlier today.... Hopefully plastic bottles a piece of wood won't be needed at Mallory Monday Smile

New frame April11001
Back to top Go down
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 5:23 am

Cheers mike hope you get ya fairing done mate and I think it will look cool running the fairing with the bottles and wood to be honest I will see you monday
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 6:04 am

Just a quick question Dad wanted to know, are you allowed to change the rear swinging arm? I have a friend that has a 125 swinging arm from a Jap bike onto a Bantam frame; monoshock conversion. Such a newbie I am...

Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 11:23 am

Great photos guys, takes me back to my involvement with the frames design. And Michael's clip-ons a similar design to mine due to my long arms !
Mike one question - The new fairing looks well slippery but have they changed the rules since my days , to allow the nose to protrude beyond the front wheel spindle ?
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Yes Ned they have, when you were racing -not past front wheel spindle, bout 10 years ago 50mm infront and new for this year 150mm in front.

With the 'Jimmy nose' had to shorten fairing at nose/belly joint... this year I dont need to its about 100mm in front of spindle... Think it all came about because Honda 600s were outside the rules - so something had to change either Honda or the ACU??

Note my screen mounting/bracket mounting screws and pot rivets.... or lack of them..... Surprised

Michael/Robin I see you have 010 to 001pre 07 diagram not post 07 diagram (you won't have room for a reed valve motor thats all)....

New frame 001
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 am

hi michael

after your post and photo's, I took a real close look at your new frame/bike, at mallory, I think the whole bike looks great and a credit to you.

Rob - in response to your comment to me at the practice day, I never seen you come past and wave this time, and Rob" take a leaf out of michael's book, what a great looking bike he's produced ? a very nice job.

I know you said you were going to paint yours, but i think you need more than paint to make it look as his does, LOL

p.s Ed has already suggested his wish list for a bike as nice as michael's looks.

kind regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 9:57 am

i am of course talking about michael Browns bike in answer to the PM'S

Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 am

Rob's bike may not be that pretty - but check out the carbon fibre subframe featuring carb air duct!!
Looks good.... how about intergrating a seat into subframe assy??
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 6:11 pm

yes I, agree Mike - my posts does seem rather blunt, i'm sure Robbie understands what I'm trying to say though just not using all the correct words,

did notice Robs new sub frame cover but never spotted what your talking about, i thought it was a mud guard, all this carbon fibre sounds very" very interesting.

sorry Rob - tell michael I love his front end, and that brake! wow".

i did notice he was not running as well in the second race as he did in the first, any reason for this michael'

Here's me being blunt again but saying it a better way - Mike Powell just spotted Neds comments - at the btm of the photo, cant say I agree, I always felt your old fairing looked better and more period like, the new bulb nose ! sorry they "just don't do it for me", frankly I feel we should have a vote on this, like we are about the weight penalty thing we discussed.

as per - you can all see now a light rider does make a vast difference. its utterly unfair i have to go back on a diet for cadwel,

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 5:32 am

Hi Derek
Thanks for you comment about the bike really appreciate this as the bike took alot of time to build And would not be able to of done this without my old man or Tom as for my old man and his frame I'm sure he will realise that these new frames are the way forward and will end up building one for him for 2012 as for my lap times between first and second race the times were the same but was disappointed at my times and need to find out why I was going so slow asap and sort it as for your votes about fairings I would vote for the mondern looking fairings as I personally feel these look better and feel they would attract more attention from the younger generation

Regards
Michael
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 12:10 am

Hi Michael:-

A very good post reply Michael - curtiouse / to the point, but objective, and technically interesting, I had actually not considered the view point you have raised an opinion this should be most valid, I think you have raised a good point for discussion, for the younger brigade, I must be getting old (50 this year) as I still prefer his/the older type - out of interest what's your fairing off- it actually looks similar to Ian's fairing, but I prefer your colour scheme, I need sun glasses when looking at Ian's.

On your lap times - again i find this interesting to, I am very inconsistant at the moment as I'm still very rusty, and know when your inconsistant a lap time dont always show/say how quick you really are. Especially if you make a mistake or are in company.

But you were much quicker out of the airpin down to to the start finish line in the first race than in the second, I know this as "You left me for dead - pulled away as though I had the breaks on in first race, but I held you to the line in the second race no issues ? did you change anything between your races, check your old man is not trying to slow you down", if he is tell him to do it more" lol,

I think your brakes were dragging, as I could see there was a lot of dust coming from your front wheel across the line, I did mean to come and see you about this, when I remebered you had gone home, I often use to suffer from this, on the front disc, we found out it was down to us removing some tiny shims, we thought were of no use ? - cost me 10mph-

Now just changing the subject and as we been posting technical- hmmm" what's you opinion about weight penalties for lighter riders ,? no - no please "don't answer that one", ignore I said it lol!

Good news on Rob's frame, I think Rob is a top man "a good guy", always has time to chat and talk, even when he is busy, just dont know how he does it. Glad to hear he's going to sort it, he is just "so quick" down the straights. I think his Bike is every bit as quick as anybody's out and all came past as some point, I have a good eye for this, had pleanty of practice in the past, "now thats another story".

Great post - and keep posting:- I feel we do need more younger opinions on the race perspectives, to help others who are about to take the plunge, looks like we have a few who are, " So Michael" tell us about your first meeting / the first race what was it like linning up on the starting grid for the first time but include practice arrival at the circuit etc where was it how did it go, how did you feel ? nerviouse / how did you do / and what were your main objectives apart from not falling off for the day.

I would be very interetsted to hear this from your perspective, I'm sure a few others too.

kind regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Michael both you and Rob seems confused when I said you had 'made' the old type frame... Let me explain..

The first two frames(version1) were built for motors that were piston ported and the carbs fitted in fine until Tom made his 1st reed motor (Ned 002) and there wasn't room for the carb so a great big chunk was chopped out the frame loop a plated to allow room for said carb!

003 was built to suit my reed motor and the frame top tube is higher as are the tank rails(versoin2). I feel version2 is better handling too, so in 2007 after 001 broke its frame loop and one and a half tank rails it was rebuilt to version2 spec.

After Mallory + known history I noted:-

Version1's - 002(Chris) 006(scrapped)008(Ian) 009(Snowy) 010(Michael B)

Version2's - 001(Mike) 003(Mike) 007(Toms shed)

Prototypes - 004(Phil) 005(Ian)
These two frames have many differences and use to sport 14" rear shocks!!
004 is the only SMS to try 17" wheels
Back to top Go down
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 3:48 am

Hi Derek

Yes I will try to do a wright up about my first race but memory is a bit vage now so don't know how good it will be

As for mallory nothing was changed between the two races apart from a bit of handling alterations so mabey it was you getting quicker lol as for the dusty breaks I will have to look into this as breaks feel fine

As for this weight issue all I'm going to say is special k lol

And mike didn't realise this what frame would you personally say handles better

Regards
Michael
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New frame Empty
PostSubject: Re: New frame   New frame Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New frame
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next