BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Builds - Learners

Go down 
+20
luke.plane
Trevor Amos
mscutt
mark taylor
Nick B
ted
mm_tribsa
dansofield550
Ned
tonydavis
undredseesee
Andy C
mjpowell
ROBBIE
alan
john bass
Derek
adam p
Tim Cornish
Edward Pickering
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:03 am

Hi Tim,

Any particular reason for selling up?

Eddie
Back to top Go down
adam p

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:21 am

hi tim/eddie things have been a bit slow of late but today i've finally finished the rear brake rod to cable coversion (pictures soon) Smile. larger clutch basket made just needs riveting back onto chain wheel, tryed to press out crank pin with a fly press but it refussed to yeild i think it needs a press with no bounce/constant pressure to have success ? are you two going to cadwell ? best regards adam.
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:41 am

Hi Tim,

Slow is better than nothing so you are doing well. Dont talk to me about presses, could tell you one a funny story about my dad buying a pair and having to collect them. Still makes me and dad chuckle now. Me and dad are hoping to be at cadwell, its always down to my work but fingers crossed we are going to go for atleast one day.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 7:39 am

Hi all,

Probably two more stupid questions, how many plates is the maximum you can use on a surflex to steel mix. Also why is a 38mm carb even mentioned for a 175 build if it is no good?

Eddie
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 8:59 am

Who say's a 38mm carb is no good for a 175???
if the motor is set up well and a good pipe it will run ON A 38mm carb
Iam running a 38mm carb Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 9:12 am

Hi Ed - more knowledgeable people on here to help you than me, but here goes,

1) first you got to make a list, from what you have against what you need - some of this will come from what you want to achieve in your first year, just getting out is a massive achievement, finishing a race is the next, then making the bike reliable,
2) what is your expectation - where do you wish to finish, or are you just out to de stress or have a good time, to spend quality time doing something you find enjoyable/interesting.

If you read though my posts and replies "return to Bantam Racing" you will see 2007 was when I felt I wanted to do something but I was quite apprehensive at the prospect of racing again, I was not afraid of saying, i did not want to embarrass myself.

It was 2009 before I was able to start, my project and now i have started again, "I regret having to give it up",

I've had lots of help - from people like Tom Miller, Alan Brown, and my Dad, I'm indebted to all who have helped us, this is not to say i would not have done it anyway, the help got me out quicker than if i had not had their assistance.

When I eventually I did take the checked flag In 2010 again I had a smile on my face a mile wide as I crossed the finish line, what a feeling of achievement.

if I was advising you it would be - don't take too long to start, as when you do start, you will only regret not starting earlier.

My sone Ed's Bike is making steady progress, and I have started restoring my other bike, Edwards engine is a 50x56 short stroke motor from the early 80's, it was a complete nail, before we started, and in far worse condition than some of the beauties you see that appear on bay Tony.

Dad helped with the crank, it has a Rotax rod, the B/end eye in the rod was worn oval quite a lot, dad made a special lap to re-lap it round, then made a hollow pin, fitted a kart big end cage, the pin is made from stainless, turned then lapped to achieve the correct bearing clearances, it like my own bike has a hole and plugs to improve the interference fit as this was not good, the clutch is on the bench, welding (silver soldered) on a ring today, the basket is home made, again stainless, and has been used by me previously, the barrel is an early d7 175 fitted with a cast iron liner, we will be re-porting it before its finished as its timings are very modest, we are unsure who made it originally, looking at the cases, it "was" a real bodge, anyway, this will at some stage be changed if he likes it.

we started by making a wish list - what we can do what we need help with -

MY dad has had frame and is doing all the cycle parts, after I brazed the frame, usual changes.
we have all the gear ready mocked up, just need more time to complete it.

I was hopping to purchase a ready to race bike, but no look

So we sat down and made our lists

seat
faring
brackets for above.
a front end, brake, brake-caliper /disc / wheel spindle spacers bearings etc etc.
rear wheel, spindle bearings.
frame mods -done
engine on its way,
gearbox
barrel \ head and need some machining
crank complete/bearings and seals
tyres -
the wish list is endless
rev counter

The Engine was stripped, a list was made, the gears, primary drive covers, was given to Tom at Mallory to do the mods,hopefully this should be ready soon
we have the most important side to do - "the assembly process".

The old tuning manual modified by Andrew Moulden, contains some excellent information, and another one is the write up done by Peter Tibbitts Ramblings 1985 all good reading and on this site.

Points on assembly - nothing is "good enough" or the words "that will do" should be taboo !

"it is "either "correct or "not" / right or wrong". there are no half measures" " it must be correct its easy really,

just do things properly and you will have a reliable bike, acceptance of poor standards or assembly trying too many things at once will give rise to unreliability.

hope that answers your question.

Derek

Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Robbie your answering the wrong post mate ?

regds Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Robbie,

Maybe i read something wrong then as i thought most 175 riders were running smaller than that, are you using a lectron?

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Hello all,

Only reasons to be selling the project altogether are; lack of space, lack of experience, lack of money, lack of time, most things come before it, and also I know of cheaper things I@d prefer to work on, which don't take 1 1/2 years to get to nowhere.

Sounds good Derek, you've got a lucky sod of a son there, lol.

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Derek,

Well its dads bike we are talking about and dad will race,

List:

Engine - complete and built (thanks to your dad)

Carb - various options we already have, just making a decision or buying another plus mounting stubs to purchase

Fairing, tank and seat we already have - brackets to be made and source screen for fairing

Frame - head stock done (again your dad), rearsets mods to be made and welded

Exhaust - Wait for rollers to be in stock and make up and again source welder

Tyres - Purchase

Rear Shocks - Purchase

Wheels - decide on what rims to use, also front end what disk and caliper to use, lace up and rebuild

Rev Counter - Probably stick with scitsuand check and possibly send for battery replacement

Probably a few other bits i have forgotten

I can imagine people are thinking we are taking forever in a day to do this but yes we are wanting it to be right the first time.

Reason for doing it, nice people, dads always wanted to do it and it is completely different to our jobs so a very good stress relief.

Sound like you are a busy bee with your own and your son's plus another one progress.

Regards

Eddie

Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Anyone wanting a rocket-propelled Bantam you know where to find me.. lol. And no, I'm not going to Cadwell, nor am I going to any of the meetings this year. For some time I think..

P.s. Derek, how old is your son? Haha.

T
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:58 am

Hi ed - looks like a good rocket propelled list to me

Tim My some played rubby for Droitwish he's 17 an still growing.

regds Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:07 am

Hi Derek,

Well the list give us something to work to and like you say when we have the bits its just making sure its a correct assembly process.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:52 am

Hi edward

Blimely Ed just re reading your list mater "your wait for rollers", come on - isn't there anyone out there who can roll eds cones for him, ? "or even borrow him the rollers so he can have a go" Hmmmm while Im thinking of this, I would like to borrow them too.

regards Derek lol!
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 7:16 am

Hi Derek,

Well when they come back in stock and i have used them i might let you borrow them! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 am

On a less of a motoring note Derek, I'd like to congratulate your Worcester Warriors side into the Premiership. Shame seeing they'll get dominated..

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 am

Can take screen for the fairing off the list as we forgot we got a couple as after advice a long time ago about what fits the fairing.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 am

hows progress going adam?

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:58 am

Front wheel and caliper and master cylinder sourced thanks to Andy C.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
adam p

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:22 am

hi eddie,progress has stalled some what at the moment but a tempory state of affairs Smile . missed you at cadwell we were up on the saturday. a great days racing ian scutt went round like a rocket fantastic, managed to speak with andy c, mike powell and dereck betts (and edward)for which i thank them for giving me their time Very Happy i really liked the picture you posted of the little red bantam got any more of that one you could put on. best regards adam.
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:34 am

Hi Adam,

Thats sods law as we were there on sunday as i was working till late saturday, Andy C is a nice chap and we spoke to him for a while, never spoken to mike powell in person before, have spoken to derek aswell before but never his son. Thanks for the comment, no problem i will try and post a few more of her this evening.

Best Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi All,

List is slowly coming down, hopefully the shocks we are going to look at lydden can be ticked off, dads figuring out his seat loop part, have enquiries out for the exhaust to be made, also possibly try and pick up some tyres at lydden too.

Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 5:44 am

Good Evening All,

Does anybody have any opinions on the best compound for a starter with regards to dunlop kr825.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Softest availible Ed - 950 compound

front(28psi) and rear(32psi) as a start point.
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:26 am

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the information and advice, hopefully we will be able to pick up a pair at Lydden.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Builds - Learners
Page 6 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next