BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Builds - Learners

Go down 
+20
luke.plane
Trevor Amos
mscutt
mark taylor
Nick B
ted
mm_tribsa
dansofield550
Ned
tonydavis
undredseesee
Andy C
mjpowell
ROBBIE
alan
john bass
Derek
adam p
Tim Cornish
Edward Pickering
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 am

Nice Pipe! Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:13 am

yes "very nice"!

thats where its been then"!

I see a great job though.

it does not matter who helps, as long as you get there

keep going.

regards Derek

Last edited by bettsd on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 am

Hi Mike/Derek,

Thanks for the comments, the credit for the exhaust pipe and barrel finishing is thanks to Mick at www.mickabbeytuning.co.uk

A really great guy who takes pride in his work, we will definately be using him again.

Dont worry Mick i will "Bling" the can!

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 am

Looks good does this meen your dad will be out at Mallory?
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 am

Hi Ian,

The paperwork has all been sent off and if the bike is finished off then we will be there.

Regards

Eddie & Malcolm

Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Ed

stop winding Ian up

you;ve got to make it now, as he's entered.

I must phone jerry "D" tomorrow, I have noT had my entry through and the cheque has'nt been cashed either. !

anyon had their entry yet?

looking forwards to sunday too.

regards Derrick"
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Derek,

I'm not trying to wind up Ian at all, im being realistic.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 am

Hi Derek
the closeing date was sunday so you will not get your enties back till next week so dont panic they dont usally cash the cheques till then and pauline summers dose the enties not gerry
not sure if me and michael will be racing at mallory after a disaster pratice day we was both on the way home by dinner time with two blow up bikes
so working hard on the bikes trying to get them done What a Face
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 am

hello ed , the engine looks very clean , has it run yet?

Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:19 am

Hi Dan,

No the engine hasnt been run up yet, we are hoping to try and run it up soon so atleast it will be one less bit to worry about.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:29 am

what have you used to seal the exhaust to the head? ,i tried some of the paste type sealant and had no luck , just found some rvt copper silicone , its ment to heat proof to 700fhave put some on and will be trying in a few days when i'm back at work .
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am

I cant remember what i was told to use, i will find out and let you know, maybe somebody like robbie/trevor/mike maybe able to tell us what is the best to use?

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 am

Hi Rob Thankys But yes yes,

I spoke to Gerry this morning, he said it was Paulene, but my goodness I hope I have'nt sent it to Gerry by mistake, has anyone got Paulene number, also I still need Brian Whites number to call him about this comming Sunday.

anyone help here or could some one PM me his number, "Please"

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 am

Rob
In the other post after the meeting I thought you guys said "all ok no problems", ! so Im confused,!

do you know if this means "Tom" and Mick will not be ale to make it to our bash this Sunday, ! we all hope they can, we have a few comming a long way to see him, we even have a very famouse item flying in, Tom said they would come as long as no Engine issues, this sound like a prety big issue to me.

anyway all the same, sorry to hear the news, having just rebuilt my own, after a seizure, that took out the big end, its a lot of work, but two bikes, ? I just dont know how he does it, and finds time for phone calls.!

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Good Afternoon All,

Is it okay to use bungee straps to hold the tank on for racing until we come up with something better?

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:47 pm

I have used Bungee straps for speed of tank release for many years, It's my standard system! Just replave the straps every season of if they look tatty,
No probs!
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:03 am

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the speedy response. Unfortunately my dad's mother passed away on monday. We have tried starting the bike today in a vain effort to be there for mallory but it just does not want to start. With the funeral being this thursday and been away for three days i think we are just gonna have to conceed defeat and withdraw from the first race meeting.

Kind Regards

Eddie & Malcolm
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 7:00 am

Sorry to hear about your loss, hope you may find time to come to Mallory if familly comitments allow.
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi Ted,

Thank you for that, we are hoping to come along to Mallory to spectate atleast.

Kind Regards

Eddie & Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 5:49 am

Good Evening All,

I think at the moment with dad's bike not wanting to start we might have to resort to a Basil Fawlty "Car Scene"

Eddie

Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 2:41 am

Well after much pushing up and down the drive and fiddling............................She Runs!!!

Eddie
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Hoorah!   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:33 am

Hoorah Edward! Now get to Cadwell ...

All the best!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:52 am

Dont you worry John, dad has his entry in and is looking forward to Cadwell!

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 10:22 pm

"another new one is born",

relly great news to read this I think there a few others close too.

but adding to all those words of encouragement, remeber dont rush out, make sure you test first / set it up properly first, last thing you need to be doing is a shake down with a brand new Engine with the pressures of a race meeting.!

I intend to be going to Mallory before Cadwell, perhaps we could meet there, I'm sure Dad would like to go too, you just dont need the pressure of getting ready for a race whilst trying to sort or setting a new motor up, carburation/ ign if you do go remeber to check the piston crown to the plug reading so you know what is what, I know someone said use a introscope but these are really usless, they have to be colour to be any good besides by the time you have it set these up its a 3 minute operation to remove the head and check the piston crown colour.

also pay particular attention to your squish clearence,makesure you check this, I use soldered wire down the plug hole on the stand turn the back wheelover, I sent you the drawing of the head /squish kindly sent to me from Trevor. I think on 175cc it needs to be 0.005thou bigger, this is just my guess because the piston is heavier on a 175cc so I'm imagining it will streach a little more. thiscan be adjusted with thingasgests at the base ofther cylinder, but not too much as they can crush, also makesure you check this before blasting the revs if its tooclose you could distroy the motor, too big is always safe but if the comp ratio is high then this does need to be correct to get the cooling effect a squish gives I have been paying particular attention to thison the dyno and it makes a huge difference "really big".!!

My advise is take your time, you will then be out more often and for longer and hopfully enjoy the experience of racing something you guys built your selves, and will avoid spending all your time rebuilding distroyed motors due to rushing out.

we all want to see you out, I'm sure, but make sure you get it set up close first before blasting it,George Harrise (RIP) gives a very helpfull process to follow after building a new motor in the old BSA Bantam Tuning Manualwhich in my opinion is still a great read,with such important little points,.

Kind regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:13 am

Hi Derek,

Yes we are gonna try and do a Mallory practice day before cadwell because all the engine has done is idled so to speak and not been put under any load so dont want the same occurance as when dad did the practice day with the red one.

It's all part of our learning curve and is a basis to start with to get going and get out there.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Builds - Learners
Page 12 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next