BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Builds - Learners

Go down 
+20
luke.plane
Trevor Amos
mscutt
mark taylor
Nick B
ted
mm_tribsa
dansofield550
Ned
tonydavis
undredseesee
Andy C
mjpowell
ROBBIE
alan
john bass
Derek
adam p
Tim Cornish
Edward Pickering
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:26 am

I will try and put up a picture of our naked bantam for you JB later from our static display, i mean attempt at racing at Cadwell lol!

Eddie
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Great!   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 1:28 am

Great! Thanks Eddie. I am working on some fantastic diagrams I´d like to to put in Phenomena Plus -- `Power Thro´The Gears´ -- by Trevor... if I get them finished before falling-over that is !!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 6:52 am

New Builds - Learners - Page 14 IMG_6234

New Builds - Learners - Page 14 IMG_6233

New Builds - Learners - Page 14 IMG_6232
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Wünderbar!   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Wünderbar Edward! A mean machine that distinctly looks like a Racing Bantam.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 1:43 am

Cheer JB,

It is meant to run with a fairing but we ran out of time to fit it so cobbled some plates and brackets up on friday morning.

Robbie, when you have time would it be possible to explain again about getting some better/bigger engine plates made up and raising the engine, getting things in line.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 6:01 am

Good Evening all,

Well sanity hasn't taken over and we have sent off for snetterton.

Now to try and remove as many gremlins as possible we would like ideas and suggestions, we have a standard clutch and are running a amal mk2 34mm.

Do we change these or adapt what we have?

Kind Regards

Eddie & Malcolm

Last edited by Edward Pickering on Sat May 26, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 7:54 am

Standard clutch should be alright running surflex plates...
Bit worried about your carb .... should that read 'Amal' ?
or do you not rate that make of carb ?? lol
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 8:01 am

affraid Thanks for that mike,

Sorry for the mistake!

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 9:40 pm

New Builds - Learners - Page 14 IMG_6248

New Builds - Learners - Page 14 IMG_6262

New Builds - Learners - Page 14 IMG_6260
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 5:17 am

the plug looks a safe colour, but its hot enough to burn oil away on shiny face, or its just not run under load for long enough ? I'm not sure what Alans opinion is on the carb.

you can't do comments on the running, as there is simply no build up or carbon on the piston crown to be able to say with any accuracy, but what you can say is.
its very oily and it looks a tad rich, but not with any accuracy.

you have a pilot system or cab issue, I agree something going on, just will not start when cold or very difficult, but what you can say is it oils up as soon as you run it slowly or after ticking over.

my opinion is you just had a lot of bad luck, a bit more practice starting getting underway and if Im really honest I think you did bloody great getting to where you are with the resources and knowledge you guys have
also the bike just looks the tagems, but wait till it gets going you will surprise your self, but not before others have noted its turn of speed.!!!!!!!?

too much oil perhaps ? is the only real comment I could be able to make, others may have other ideas or opinions, I hope.

Ed.s asking for help here, so come on what do you guys think ? I see Mike has chipped in thanks Mike this is what new starter need lots of opinions to lots of answers or questions!

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 5:52 am

Cheers for the comments Derek,

All a big learning curve for us, Dad just wants to get a lap done atleast!

Plenty for us to work on, clutch seems very heavy although you can probably comment on that Derek. Need to sort proper support for the tank as it vibrates like hell, which in turn has worn out the sleeving on the coil fly leads so a bit to do.

Still a boost even if we didnt get out on track properly as we are moving in the right direction.

Kind Regards

Eddie & Malcolm
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 7:42 pm

hello ed, looking good despite problems, it can only get better , just wondered what plug your using and sticky number size for the number boards, are they 6 inch?
thanks dan
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi Dan I would say a 10 plug would be a good starting point safe too as for numbers check the ACU handbook it has the sizes in there or I could cut u out some templates if I had what number you are. will be at the crmc meeting lydden at the weekend on the bantam
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:55 am

hi rob what class you in Im in london this weekend may pop down is it sat and sun ?

Rob a few questions On the chain, Primary, what milage do you run your chains on before changing, Iwould imagine it depends on itmes like power revs if a 125/175 or how brutal you are with the clutch and size nine boot? now who said that"

the one I have on my bike seems to have streched quite a bit, this is the same item I used last year, but only did three meetings and as the bike seized not a lot of racing, I had three sezures with it now, sos should this be a catalist to change it, its looks ok, the joints apprear absolutly

when do you change them when you seize or do you milage them or number of meetings.

thanks Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:31 am

Good Evening Trevor,

I have sent a few pm's regarding questions but I don't think they are going out.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Derek
I am in the 200 two stroke class
chains. have been running these chain for sometime now dont think anyone has had one break Question Question which is good not like in the old days
mike powell had some rollers come off but that was on the black type chains I fill the silver ones are better

I tell the lads two for the season will do. in the past I have the same chain all season Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mscutt

mscutt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Eddie

it seems PM's dont move from your Outbox to the Sentbox until the recipient opens the message - implying that Trevor has not seen them yet.

He's not been on the forum recently so hope he is well.

Your bike looks great. Hope you sort out the gremlins real soon and have a good day at Snetterton.

Mick
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:55 am

thanks Rob

mick have you heared of AMALS and Mikunis suffering fron a problem with lever type chokes, the plunger of rubber issue.

seems I spoke to some one today and he says its a well known fact you can have issues with the choke not working correctly that appears to make it seem like the pilot screw is ultra sensitive. ?

O and Trevor was on today just after Nine this morning "I have ESP".

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:42 am

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the comments, hopefully we will have it running a bit better by then.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
mscutt

mscutt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Derek

There was an issue with choke rubber seals which I believe started a few of years ago when they started putting alcohol in pump fuel.

The rubber would swell and the choke would not seat properly - maybe thats what you are thinking of?

Mick
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:56 pm

thank you Rob,

thanks Mick to add did this rubber thing, produce perculiarities with rich and lean jetting when running / starting as on mine the pilot is so sensitive, got to be somthing wrong just one blade of a screw driver turn and its so rich but all the way through the range, this is clearly having a pronounced effect in the mixing tube, that is affecting carburation on start part and full throttle openings. ?? this is really puzzling me, anyone know what Im refering to,

I had believed it was a damaged pilot screw seat, but had a probe down it it looks ok but it does have a flat btm and the screw is also the same looking rather burnished on the end, so it looks like its touching on the btm to close off the air, and only partly on the taper one side,

also it looks like the thread on this pilot screw is quite course and it has a bronze or Brass insert in the pilot screw hole, could anyone say this is original has it been modified ? before I got it, it was surposed to be new, or is this std Mikini Practice, it seems to have been done beautifully though.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Good Morning All,

We think we may have a leaking tank to add to our problems due to using petrol as we can't get avgas.

Is there anything we can use to seal it properly?

Regards

Eddie

Last edited by Edward Pickering on Wed May 30, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: May have Edward??   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:34 pm

`...may have...´ a leak Edward? sounds more like a seep if its not dripping....

... fibreglass tank I guess? The seep could grow into a proper leak during a practice or race and then Malcolm could be in deep trouble if his boots or leathers got soaked in the stuff!!

Someone on here might have a solution for instant repair ....

But that is a horror story, Eddie, because Petrol-oil mix means oil in the fibres where it is shredded. You need something like an alcohol type solvent or boiling water soaking for a long period -- [an old tin bath on top of the hot plate on the oven ...!?] -- to be able to get all of the oil out and enable the new fibreglass resin to take hold onto the old fibres.

I did it once with my fibreglass tank which had a split about 3 inches long in it. I bought Propanol-2, an alcohol solvent at our local chemist´s and repeated soakings had it free of oil -- enough to allow the new resin to set properly... Sorry! this doesn´t sound too helpful or hopeful....

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Cheers for that John,

Dad is currently putting the bike back together and building his rollers so we will see how bad it is, I had the same problem on one of the others where someone had done a bad repair.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:33 am

Evening All,

Any idea's for gearing for Snetterton as dad intends to try and do a lap this time! lol!

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Builds - Learners
Page 14 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next