BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Empty
PostSubject: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 3:36 am

Just to let you all know, the extra bantam race at Pembrey is the Tom Miller Race
(non the BF Cockerels) Which as you know is a handicap race... So you are all in
with a chance of winning regardless of speed of youself and machine...

Any non competitor fancy doing the handicap? based on the first race of the
weekend... Alan ??

Sandbagging is encouraged Wink
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:25 am

Any non-racers up for doing the handicap for Tom Miller race this weekend?

Or do you want me to do it?.............. but i'll give myself a good handicap!!!

Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:09 am

Looks like i've got this one in the bag!!!
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:39 am

Mick potter why have you not yet put your name up. you are going aren't you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Mike

I had a think about this its a bit challenging , is the plan a staggered start or post race handicap, and will it be a race with another class ?

If its staggered start (based on last years results)

Slowest time 16 seconds off the fastest
Handicap = 8 laps * 16 seconds 2minutes 8 seconds
Lap time typically 1 minute 20 so first away would be almost two laps head start, I always think this is very confusing as it rounds the handicap and relies on accurate starting often you see little or no racing.

If its worked out after the race

I can do a little spreadsheet that calculates the average lap time from race 1 then takes the variance from that multiplies it by the number of laps in the handicap race and adds the result to the handicap race total time and the person with the lowest overall time gets the trophy.
This one is perhaps fairer as it calculates accurate timings for each rider, the result is not known but you get to race as normal so get an idea of how its going.

I did come up with some even more complicated methods but they made my head hurt !!!

James

Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:41 pm

James - the black art of handicapping is a mystic thing and never works anyway??
which is half the fun!!

Yes the problem is fast laps and slow laps - cure is shorten race to 4 laps, but we've paid
for 8 so not a good idea. Normally we compress the slower riders at the front of the grid,
but could compress the riders at the back of the grid instead? However you do it it isn't fair!

From first rider going from start we'll have about 1m30s to the fastest(last leaver).
In the past the handicap is done and then the starter/clerk of course is unhappy with the gaps
and changes them. Then at the last minute they cut it to 7 laps but leave the handicap for 8laps.

Also gaps can be a minimum of 5?(if your lucky) or 10 seconds. Advantage of staggered start is
you get a winner the one who takes the chequered flag! and everybody knows who it is!

Time keepers have done it in the past but it doesn't work ref Anglesey 2 years ago I won but Alan
got the trophy for finishing 3rd(he had a lap head start??

If you want to do a sealed handicap based on our first race on Saturday that would be great!!
But under this system(bit like A/V) you need to tell us who won!

James you do a sealed handicap i'll put you in touch with starter/C of C etc

Don't handicap yourself to lightly??

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:54 am

Mike,

I am impartial on the grounds I have not entered the trophy race, I have done the spreadsheet the only flaw is how do you handicap someone who DNS or fails to completes a full race lap do they get the "average" handicap or the highest handicap ?

My all start together handicapping spreadsheet, think its self explanatory, handicap awarded is based on difference in average lap time and applied based on number of laps completed. Race time plus handicap gives result

Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Handic10
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:18 am

James judging by your spreadsheet its not a race any more its a regularity trail ? Or perhaps I just don't understand??
Does the trophy still go to the best improved racer ? or the rider who turns in the same race pace as previous? If its a handicap race great !!

DNS/DNF from race 1 (Think its race 2)look a race time from race 2(think its race 12) Tom Miller race 20 last of the day.
DNS/DNF race 1 & 2 answer Guess!

What if races 1 &2 were dry and 20 wet, what if they cut a lap, someone crashes and a result is declared at 4laps!

What if someone swaps a bike? It doesn't matter .... someone will win anyway ... you can't go wrong....

Are you saying yes too this challenge James ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:25 am

Mike,

If the riders are happy to do it this way I am happy to put in the results and see who comes out on top. The rider who improves the most should win if everyone rides exactly the same it will be a tie.

If the result is called at four laps the field on the spreadsheet is changed and it recalculates all the handicaps.

Weather changes and bike swaps I believe are accepted forms of sandbagging one of them is just harder to arrange Laughing Laughing

The only difference is the handicap is added at the end not the beginning, if the riders would prefer the staggered start I can still produce the handicaps.

If it is the end of the day we can average both the championship races and make it even harder to sandbag !!

James
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:25 am

HEY - Listen all us girls, want to win' so lets drop our socks and feel the quality before we buy.?

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:39 am

James you do it however you want it will be good, and different to whats gone on before, I think its worth a try...

So you have the technology "on circuit" ?

We are on our own I believe? A massed start is easier for BHR...

If anyone objects to James doing the handicap say now (or Sat morning) Or forever hold thee peace...

James I think you have the job.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....   Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stop Press - Pembrey- Handicap Race....
Page 1 of 1