BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Igniton & Carburation set up

Go down 
+4
Nick B
alan
Trevor Amos
Edward Pickering
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Engage Brain First...   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Humble apologies -- I should have read the Bantam Formula Rules first:-

Just a silly bit added on -- in the film "The World´s Fastest Indian" Bert Munro (played by Anthony Hopkins) during the preparations for his Bonneville run pops a pill into his Indian´s fuel tank and an official asks what it was..., to which Bert replies, "Oh! that was only one of my medicine pills -- for luck." In fact it was an anti heart attack pill containing nitro-glycerin or whatever; that definitely would -- if effective like tetra-ethyl-lead -- up the anti-knock (Octane) rating by a huge amount.

Cheers!

Last edited by john bass on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Right!   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 9:58 pm

I agree Mike -- dodgy stuff methanol.

On the grass I used Victor Martin Track Fuel which was Methanol with 2% Puridin (whatever dope that was??-- I never found out?). With that I used an 850 main jet where others on straight methanol were on 1100 main jet. Very snappy! Where others were suffering holed pistons with 1100 jets and straight meth I had good reliability but none of the heavy flywheel lag with that 500JAP! I made a quick-action throttle-twist-grip that had about a wrist-flick from idling to 5000rpm (45bhp) which made grass exciting!!
Getting aboard my 12horse power Bantam was quite a sad experience after that.
Needless to say I enjoyed it....
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: The World´s fastest Indian...   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 10:13 pm

"The World´s Fastest Indian". Still holds a Booneville speed record for its vintage class.
Bert Munro -- played by Anthony Hopkins -- reminded me of some of the machines I scrutineered at a couple of Bantam Race meetings.
Some really rough bikes in all classes, complete with with the obvious kitchen untensils -- much modified to suit.... --
I did that scrutineering because a Bantam racer with a Prime Minister´s name reckoned I was a lazy bum and nothing but a windbag*** of a BRC club chairperson....
During scrutineering at the Bonneville Salt Flats Bert is asked what it is on top of his oil tank to which he replies "A champagne cork, of course -- light and reliable."

If you haven´t seen it -- you really should.

*** some people are still saying that -- as well as "Old Hat"...!!

How´s your Dad Derek -- OK I hope!
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Champagne corks etc   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Pioneering tendancies or as Kiwis call it number 8 (fencing)wire technology.
Bert also knew a scrutineer with a similar name Mc...... from Timaru, he was utter sensored, he said.
This is one of two Indian replicas built for the film
Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 C9675e9d
There were two Ducati engined bikes used for the high speed and running filmed sequences
somewhere I have some old 35mm film pictures of the original bike that used to be in a hardware store in Invercargill it had a gate hinge holding the oil tank on too.

Anyway, 1.3mm BTDC on a longstroke running ? 95 ( our Shell V max is 96) octane Shell fuel hmm.
Should depend on the type of ignition system too, if Ed is using old CB points etc as I did on my ex Chas James 125 longstroke at first. Then coil dwell time/ coil voltage build up will be slower will it not ?
I used 1.9mm as recommended by previuous owner, this also seemed to be optimum when changed to a Motoplat system. The spare Lionel Howell 125 still has CB points and runs well at 0.084-0.96" (2.13-2.43mm) with 14.2:1 CR

I thought perhaps with slower burning AvGas more advanced timing might be needed ?
So maybe I will try retarding the 175.
Standard D14/B175 is 1.54mmBTDC
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 7:04 am

Hi John S,

Probably my fault, i started this to help with my dads racer build which is a pvl ignition and then advice from here on the best carb to use, didnt want to confuse it up with my hobby projects.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi, John B and all,
Speaking of pill popping , my late father in law and a few of his mates,used to compensate for
the poor quality fuel that was available after the war by dissolving Mothballs and adding to at tank
of fuel . As these were nearly 100% Naphthalene , i`m sure their engines must have ran a little
a little sweeter for it , at least , he claimed his Scott did !

Yours, nostalgically, Trevor

Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Cork Clutches...   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi Trevor!
I´d heard of that. At that time of petrol rationing there was an old chap in our village running his 1923 Morris Major on TVO (a tractor paraffin, coloured to not be used in cars) by having the fuel pipe running alongside the exhaust manifold. Not to vaporize, just to warm the paraffin up for better starting.
This car had a cork clutch which had the engine oil circulating through its housing...

This is too long -- so I have to close -- the real reason for mentioning cork clutches I could tell you later -- but only if you are communingly interested??

Bullshiner Bassy! (no doubt pleasing retired champ, Peter Tee...!!)
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Good Morning All,

Can anybody advise on where to purchase the rubber manifold stub to suit a amal 34mm mk2 to a btw barrel and part number.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Ed,
Ring Allen's performance as they have a good selection of inlet rubber styles.
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Ed,

I think I am running a VM34-200 or VM36-200 from Allens, they are 70mm bolt centre plate manifolds 34 and 36 are the inlet internal bore

Loads of info on their webpage

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/products-manifolds.html

James
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 am

Hi James & Alan,

Thanks for the information, i will look into that.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
bennion

bennion

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2006-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 pm

If you use a fibreglass tank, avoid ordinary pump petrol like the plague.

I used to use Shell Optimax because this was easy to obtain.

Early in 2010, without publicity, the ethanol content of this and other wayside pump petrol was increased to improve its Green credentials. This reduced the sides of the original 002 petrol tank to waifer thickness and leaks appeared at random. This tank is now a museum piece. The 175 suffered as well and I have resorted to multiple internal and external treatments with limited success. Flakes of fibreglass played havoc with filters and carb jets. I believe Steve Frayne suffered in similar fashion last year from mid season onwards.

Large in-line fuel filters are now on both bikes as a result.

I now source Avgas from a flying club in 20 litre quantities. It is more expensive at approx £1.85 / litre and I travel quite a distance to get it, but the problem now seems to be cured.

Hope this helps

Chris
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 pm

I have just bought 20 litres of Avgas from the local airfield... a total of £42, yet another increase on the last lot I bought.
NPlease note the comments from Chris, very valid!
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Guys,

Yes i have taken note of the comments from Chris as have found out first hand the effects to a fbireglass tank that i thought i had fixed.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Good afternoon all,

Hopefully gonna try and do some testing on the red rigid soon, with a 32mm mk1 amal is 280 - 320 a safe range to try with on the main jet?

Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Good Luck Ed...   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 am

Hope it goes OK -- Good Luck Ed...
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 am

Hi John,

Thanks for that, well if we dont try it only end up being a static display.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Igniton & Carburation set up   Igniton & Carburation set up - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Igniton & Carburation set up
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BSA Bantam Racing :: Your first category :: Bantam Racing Forum-
Jump to: