BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lets keep FORUM friendly

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Lets keep FORUM friendly Empty
PostSubject: Lets keep FORUM friendly   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi it was good to see NED up the pub last night and we all had a good chat as usual. But the bad news is we did not manage to solve all of motor sports problems...... yet. We could use some new ideas so come and put in your opinions, who knows someone may agree with you. I think last night someone agreed with something I said at one point!
Something we did all agree on is that the Forum is getting too bitchy! Banter is good insults are bad!!!!!!! Let’s get on with technical debate and good advice to help prospective new comers and old fogies to get their bikes on track. If it carries on like the current trend it will self destruct and give the site a bad name. I know I am not the only one that wants people to experience the camaraderie and helpfulness of racing a Bantam, so let’s get back to that. If you are not careful (and you know who you are) I will start telling jokes then only Peter and Skipper will read it.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Right Ted...!   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Re The Flywheel and its boring context. If I am too clever with the technical stuff you can let me know. You MUST let me know....

Point about that subject is how dear to my heart it is...
W hilst in Canada one of my test rigs broke flywheels fairly frequently.
Diesel engine flywheels. It was a Cologne-Deutz idea. To verfiy a flywheel as "safe" in service it had to be capable of withstanding several hours spinning at 2.5 times its rated speed and our test rig was a circular pit lined with wood that collected the broken bits so that we could see where the material was defective. Cast iron flywheels go bang ....

Uh oh! This is not Bantam! This is not helpful. I´ll delete it after you´ve read it....

I wish I could have been there when Ned was in the pub last night `cos then I could have bought him the pint I promised in `81 (and `05 at Lydden) after I´d broken his lovely Bnatam in the `81 Parade at Snetterton.

Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Lets keep FORUM friendly   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Very Happy nice one Ted, well said but not the jokes pleeeeease!!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Lets keep FORUM friendly   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:11 am

I have to agree, good post,

We are just pushing on with dads bike and see what happens and learn from mistakes, mine i thought about building i will put on the back burner.

I agree that if i hadnt been coming on here for so long than we may well of been put off.

Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Perhaps this will put you off Ed...?   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 5:30 am

Hi Ed!
When you mentioned the starting of the Bantam that time as requiring what appeared to be excessive force -- I now (sort of hesitantly) suggest that
the circlip which came adrift later and caused all that damage was the cause
of the engine being difficult to turn over. That gremlin was already there?

Also, I kept wondering if the circlip was a round wire type or a square section
one?
Round wire type should be flung....

Apologies if I seem exceeding nosy but it has become habit to question technical
mishaps....
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Lets keep FORUM friendly   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 am

Hi John,

Fisrst off dont ever worry about asking me a question, i post on here for me and my dad and anybody can ask anything they want about our bikes as i want opinions good or bad so that we learn and can get dad out for next season.

With regards to your questions, yes the bike was always hard to start when we first got it, we even borrowed a set of starter rollers to get it running the first time around, the bike had been started quite a few times and had been to a sprint meeting but had problems (i'm sure brian white could tell you about that as he was next to us and helped an awful lot) Had a few bits changed and would push start after that and been round a mallory practice day (although slow!)

Was only on a day when we decided to start it before room storing that it got a mind of its own and threw itself into the trailer and wrecked a few bits, tried starting it again and locked solid and found the circlip issue (lodged from the other side).

Yes it was a round one and yes probably it should of been replaced after too many time's taking it out.

Regards

Eddie & Malcolm

Last edited by Edward Pickering on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Lets keep FORUM friendly   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 7:26 am

some of the points you make quite interesting, shame we dont get that from the leading bunch.

some sound advice from john though, just dont ask him about cranks!

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Oh dear! Sir Clip struck again!   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi Ed!
Funny things happen with stored engines. I had one where the rings were rusted to the bores because of condensation rust. Just thin lines of rust had it locked solid.

We had a golden rule when reconditioning car & truck engines which was to identify bolts, fasteners and clips as, "Use once only from new ..." and circlips, flywheel bolts and bigend bolts were among those of top priority.

All circlips have a tendency to relax spring tension -- so they should be thrown straight in the rubbish bin...

Those round wire type -- the ones with long ears for the circlip pliers -- tend to move in the gudgeon pin groove because of the cocktail-shaker effect (of the piston) on the long `ears´ causing rotation which has the clip riding the groove-edge and going over the edge...

Round wire type should only be used in slow-moving linkages.

Ahhh(yawn)men!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets keep FORUM friendly   Lets keep FORUM friendly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lets keep FORUM friendly
Page 1 of 1