BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine... Empty
PostSubject: The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine...   The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 am

In 2009 I saw an article on the 2-stroke experimental engine, 2 Lotus engineers had built called the "Omnivore" and I have heard nothing of its progress since then...

Has any reader here have any knowledge of its progress??

The notion was to make the 2-stroke engine "clean". The GP organisers have banned the two-stroke because of its dirty exhaust.
Lotus engineers boasted that by having the Omnivore capable of stratified charge combustion (complete combustion to you & I....) at all running conditions its exhaust would meet all anti-pollution standards. This, by having the engine capable of automatically varying the compression ratio from 8:1 to 50:1. The cylinder head has a moving `Puck´ to change the compression ratio, what seems a special spark plug and a Direct Injection fuel injector in the cylinder head ....

Much like the late Dr Joe Erhlich´s variable geometry conn-rod engine, the development of which vanished when the project was taken over by some consortium or other that vanished also.

The latter is something that has niggled me for years and I have a functioning model (in metal and wood) that I´d like to make in reality but have no facilities. I presented some sketches to my old 250ABS sponsor and he rejected it -- with a chuckle -- so I´ll probably pop-my-clogs without ever seeing it come to anything more than a dream.

Just a last-laugh addendum: an essential element in its function is a suitably dimensioned FLYWHEEL!

Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
mscutt

mscutt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine...   The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks John

there's lots of pages on this on the web - most gloss over how it works but this is really cool

http://www.lotuscars.com/engineering/en/omnivore-interactive

http://www.lotuscars.com/engineering/en/omnivore-research-engine

Mick
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Awfully complicated...   The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks Mick -- awfully complicated and a lousy combustion chamber shape but if it does the job then all other 2-stroke systems before it are cancelled out....

I think not if it cannot be made in series production at a selling price --- I haven´t yet read all of the blurb so perhaps the explanation is in there....

Take care!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: The Trapping Valve   The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 12:10 am

John/Mick,

The trapping valve on this design is doubtless the work of "Ongar Bert". I believe he also coined the name "Orgasmitron" for this engine. I'm not aware of any performance figures however. Smile
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Hi Peter!   The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Peter!

Was getting worried about you...

Much like the Omnivore -- You´d gone very quiet...

That´s why I asked. Much like Dr Joe Erhlich´s e-3 engine with the funny con-rod and a couple of French engines with unusual conn-rods -- NO NEWS??
The things is I have the real thing -- which Andy rejected!!!
All the best!

JayBee for John-Boy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine...   The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Lotus 2-Stroke Experimental Engine...
Page 1 of 1