BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BEWARE

Go down 
+6
bennion
Derek
Trevor Amos
mjpowell
john bass
Ned
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 11:36 am

Guys I admit I am a computer plank and don't understand things like why it is easier to post pics on "facebook" than it is on here. But I have observed that since photos have been posted on "facebook" members seem more inclined to post on there and it's gone quieter here. If the trend continues it could kill this website, that would be a shame considering the work that's gone into it and the info old and potential new riders can get on here.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Right Ned!   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 10:32 pm

Right Ned -- as I said earlier Facebook drummed me out and I have not been able to respond to my so-called `Friends-on-Facebook´ so I am rather glad of this web-site being available.

Pictures speak louder than words -- I suppose taht´s right -- thus ensuring Facebook would be more popular with those who prefer the pictures rather than the boring words.

However, since I first discovered this Bantam site I must say the Forum has been used much much more in the last couple of years than when I first posted on it (ten years ago, I think?) ... Not that that was any fault of the previous minders it seems more likely that it was from publicity outside than from knowledge within ...?

I´d reckon this site has become a wonderful fund of information -- and a showpiece of racing-technical know-how for newcomer and Oldie alike and if the reader looks into the rectangular boxes -- other than just the Forum -- he´ll see there´s a lot more information there too.

It is fairly obvious that if this web-site vanishes, so will the Bantam Racing Fraternity as an informal club. It will be that the say, ten or
or so Bantam racers at a meeting will get together for a few hours sympathizing with the gradually passing of the Bantam Racer....

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 am

Ned,John,Les -I'm the adminstrator (with Tony Davis) on the facebook page
'Bsa Bantam Racing' would you like it shut down??

This can be done, if you wish... comments people please..

Regards Mike
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: One way...   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 6:21 am

One way of getting rid of me Mike is to have Alan shut down this site -- as I said I can´t get on Facebook so you´d be rid of JayBee.

I don´t really give a damn what happens on Facebook as long as this site does not vanish -- for me this is a form of amusement, pity if it goes.

Ah! but that is life -- as one thing vanishes so another pops up.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 am

John you have missed the point... If everybody thinks the facebook page is a bad think i'll close it. I don't think photo's will then appear on the forum. This site will not close! I've noticed this forum seems to have had more interest since the facebook page has appeared.

I look at it as This site bsabantamracing.com as very much the bantam racing site.. With everything technical and 'club' news and a lot of history. And the facebook page as 'friends' who are all ready on facebook keeping in touch and posting photo's.

Your facebook problem is very much a problem you have and not everybodys. I'm sorry about that John.

Technical stuff posted on facebook site was removed - but has not reappeared here? Derek why not?

Regards Mike
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 am

Ned and John are both offering sincere opinions and are both , of course , quite correct in their joint anxieties concerning the Forum
and it`s potential demise . Loss of the Facebook site would cause barely a ripple , a handful of contributors joking with each other ,
the Forum is critical , it`s passing could be terminal for Bantam racing as we know it !
It`s in your hands fellas , get back to Forum , posting , asking questions , imparting priceless information and experience garnered by
years of hands on work . Nice pictures , at the end of the day , are pretty trivial , it matters not if the fuel tank five years ago was red or blue
or both . Two more bhp and an extra 500rpm overrev certainly interest me a damn site more , when going into the comming season .
I for one have a stack of stuff i`d like to post , but if no one`s there whats the point ?

Trevor
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 pm

urika I agree with ned and the rest,

a lot of effort has been put into the face book page "its impotant we have a face on there " like a presence", but I have to agree the crap being posted is not a good image for our class, as far as it taking over this site or killing this site off""absolutly no chance"of this so dont worry, Imean have you seen it Ijust been on it looks more like the Mike Powell fanclub Photo album"l ol (sorry Mike no pun intended) but seriously, the picture are really important just wished people would not coment or have conversations about them degrads it especially when they can't even spell properly!!!!!!!!!!! -

so to make imporvments To face Book I would ssack the current two especially "Tony Davis" , and stop a few from posting on there Like those boring comments from "Mike mcdoodle ,Rusty Lee van-clieff and Kieth Woods the has-been" and dreamer "down hill novice ski'her" stop talking about it kieth, get back on a bantam, you will regret not doing it when your too old, mind you looking at the way he was attempting to snowplow it may not be long!! lol

but seriously - just stop the chit chat, this could be controlled better, not allowing all that meanial stuff, stopping people from posting comments on there, this may direct them back here, nut my good " do we want those kind of comments. !!!!!!.

" I actually agree! but do we really need that type of crap on here, the correct place for it is a private PM or emails, but I feel we must have a presence, on face book- but only allowing photo's as it is easier to down load a photo 'a 2 second job' where on here you need a degree in computer science. (it takes a little longer)

so I feel the face book page has its uses it was a great idea, lets not forget who we found because of it, but it must be controlled, and properly. !

But I have to say "I'm insulted (upset) and go so far as to say 'I think it was very bad taste on those, and an insult to GT who kindly sent us his "Technicall stuff as Mike calls it" -and Mike it was not me who deleted it! and for your referece it did appear on here and it still is on here "Ed posted it", this information is history it should be on "face book" GT has a famouse name also outside of Bantams because of the work he did with other classes, but to have "some idiot or idiotts to decide it was not for there liking so deleted it' "why MIKE TONY"- because they did not feel it should be there!!! A load of crap- this was very very bad taste, I'm sure this was a dig at me "if so" "ok fine" "I have no isses with this" I have thick skin' but to include this other person' I can not hide my frustration and anger at this" in the interests of what"? I kept stum "

but I have deleted the face book page criteria from my portfolo and point blank refuse to get involved with that, as this was a step too far and "very " very bad taste on those purportrators"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

If Im really seriouse and to be honest I feel face book has a future for our collective, as it has directed others to us, and it is another very worthy and "free" marketing tool - for our class - as is the festival I can not believe everyone is not going to this only three (3) Bantams "why". If i was sponsoring this class which Im not I would make it mandatory for those wishing championships points to take part or even if there is not a race, giving 50 championship points to all those that parade.
worth it then.

back to face book - "it just needs a few ground rules", and be controlled, the olny person who should be allowed to post on it is Mike and all that should be loaded is photo's, only comments allowed by the person in the photo who should be encouraged to say the bike the location or the corner and what year it was, the rest the replies should be left in the trash whereb they belong -but at the btm of each post should be this sites webb address, just like those wonderful items on Robbies and Mikes fairing, - here we go "got me started again" now in my opinion all Bantams wish to score points should have them and it should be mandatory for the address to be on all fairings, and be a certain size, and be visible, thats if you want to score championship points.

On this webb site :- I look forwards to the day on here when Peter Tibbets stripps Nicks engine, and photographs it to show us his internal engine, as tom/pete/mick did there's then mick did that write up on it, just great stuff, why did we get this treat, just auwful word.! anway moving on, as I'm sure Trevor will photo his formula BANTAM really a "296cc RSA rapped in sheet steel" for us all to see", "and believe" one day!!!!soon I hope", now that would really get some flocking back to our site and "a few drulling" I'm sure.-

Face book will not kill off this site, only if you stop posting, looking at the history on here it normally goes quiet on here around this time of year, especially by those who post and are building engines or bikes, I see Trevor has been really quiet so too has Al and Mick and they all have posted at a high rate, but are clearly busy with prep for the comming season. !!!

If you look back ten or 15 pages on this forum, you will all see this site and the information and posts have come a long, long way, apart from the odd indiscretion, Ialso agree with trevor "if you want to build a bantam racer - "you are not going looking on face book for information on it" you should however be directed here.?

sorry about the typo error's "all corrected now"!! "I hope"

kind Regards Derek

Last edited by bettsd on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 7:24 pm

just spotted a few mistakes on my last post they are just typo's ! I will correct them "sorry!

kind regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Well i think we are getting there, interesting information and even interesting/technical photo's and extremely long(John and Derek) ramblings on here... in fact everthing on here...

Facebook page just for facebook users interested in bantams... As Trevor said removing it would have no effect (a ripple) on here. As Trevor indicated facebook page is for the trivial - yes thats right! (thats facebook).

Derek I removed your GT's tech stuff, and as you said its now on here so 'in the right place'

Regards Mike

Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:24 pm

hi mike thanks, and I just spotted a few more typo's
sorry.
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi John /Trevor/ Ned an all

just spotted another very important point that Trevor has made that I missed the first time I read his post and comments.

I think it is even more critical and important, that some moderation is asked for, as Trevor points out some joking going on and a tone like a bit of a click developing "this is not a good thing",

More importantly some of the comments on Face book are very imature almost child like, infact my 4 year old neice would make more sence, while I am not sure we even want these types of comments on here, it would be good if they cleaned thier act up - to at least create the correct image for us what they dont realise the whole world uses facebook,!!!!!!!!!
"only bantam and bike enthusiasts use this webb site".

we all want to increase our number not frighten them away by a bunch of hasbeens talking like imature 3 year olds round a sand pit.

while its clear Im not mr PR, "an understatment" dont you think"- I can see there are some very important issues being raised here.

I mean look what happened to Frank Ratner or was it Gerald !

any way clearly we need to either moderate the moderators, or simply have some base rules, if they wish to talk to each other ok "but please do it by private post" not in open.

"and there is not point in having a big gun" if your not preared to use it, sometimes "a threat" gets the desired effect, and I know "this works"!

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: I am not sorry...   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks Mike, Derek, Trevor and those who think the same and haven´t said so....

I know very little about that Facebook thing because like I said I only got on it once. That was when invited by a so called (self called!?) "Friend" so I have no right to criticise...

It is probably a very nice `Billing & Cooing´ site which I have experimented with since I got the hang of this electronmic marvel. One of which -- I found quiter by accident! had ancient ladies showing off their naked bodies -- as if anybody cared....

What I like about this BRC site is that subjects pop-up that tell me I really missed out at the time I was riding Icarus-1 (forget Icarus-2 -- it was so unreliable) and I can now do a proper technical job on them myself and frequently prove to myself that my brain has not yet solidified and fallen from its gimballs into the sump!!

Mike complains that I post very long -- never-understandable -- technical posts on here. -- Yet what I post on here is far less than what most of the technical subjects generate. Often there are two dozen pages of calculations -- ask our Peter Tee about the Flywheel Treatise, its full of mistakes -- where I have gone over past times of not understanding -- or only partially understanding -- some subject or other which came up in exams that I passed with flying colours***

The beauty (for me) -- of all this is -- that clarity comes from calculations or reserach as to why, "If it looks right -- it is right!"

Take that recent, "Black Body Radiation" one -- I never really understood it when studying Thermodynamics at Bristol Uni but having researched and puzzled myself thro´ some really nasty mathematics I THINK I do now!

I think such is good for OAPs because quite suddenly there is clarity that was not there before. I was reading a mystery-murder novel recently about the arctic and lo & behold the author mentions that all the heaters they were installing were painted matt-black...!!

***better to stop there otherwise it´ll be another long digression. .

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: PS -- I do hope ...   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:10 pm

PS -- I forgot to say -- I do hope you had a good Xmas...

Phwew! -- where´s Nick B...?
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: PPS..   BEWARE Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 pm

<<<<<< look there! If only I could have squashed my fat gut down a bit I could have been as aerodynamic as Dave Hunter! Note that the number plate is at an advantageous angle -- which had I have been able to get down -- would have meant the air would have flowed up and over my helmet whereas in 1969 I really didn´t know what the hell I was doing ...

Nuff said!
Back to top Go down
bennion

bennion

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2006-12-23

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 am

I think there's room for both websites. Each has its virtues - said the actress to the.... bounce
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:48 am

mjpowell wrote:
Ned,-I'm the adminstrator (with Tony Davis) on the facebook page
would you like it shut down??
.. comments people please..

Regards Mike

Hi Mike. That's a hard call. It's not for me to tell anyone what sites they should or shouldn't use. I sure as hell didn't intend it to get this controversial.
I have enjoyed looking at some of the photos on F/B. And I'v seen nothing written on there that I consider out of order.
I just think it's a shame that the contributors to that site cant do it here.
Ultimately the decision belongs to all you guys that are keeping the formula alive, not the likes of me sitting on the sideline.
If you think about the heading Mike (WARNING) I wasn't telling you to pull the plug. I was suggesting the situation needed monitoring in case the trend to support F/B in preference to this site continued.
Back to top Go down
adam p

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-03-23

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: beware   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 am

gentlemen please don't stop posting your technical knowlage and opinions on the forum, as a newcomer i find this site extreamly interesting and amusing (at times) i totally agree that the technical stuff should be left to the forum but saying that the face book page is another great place to gather information but it is more nostalgic than tecnical my personal opinion is,why can't the two sites survive side by side,i really enjoy looking at the old bantam racing photos on the facebook page and coupled with the technical side of the forum i have a great arsenal of info to apply to my project i don't think you can ever have enough information about a subject that your interested in. best regards adam. Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 am

Hi adam

I quite agree - spot on, adam, why bother writting two lines talking about a subject you enjoy, when you can quite eserly write 200 lines, and saying the same things, as long as some one finds it interesting ? the only difference for me is JB's, a legend - Imean "do you think he is nutts" did you see his posts on "fly wheels" he's been going on about this subject for over 6 months, Imean how much more can be written on this subject, will some one please post him a par of flywheel so he no longer needs to talk about them. !

seriously adam a valid point hows the "bike comming on" you going to be ready for mallory. ?

regards Derek

Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 am

Hi guys I think people will use both sites if they are the type to use web sites, others like me who don’t use computers for leisure on a regular basis will more than likely stick to this one. I see no harm in the face book site and it may bring in some people that are not Bantam racing enthusiasts at the present time.
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Ted
your one of the all time ledgends for me Ted ! one of the ? passed it peple still racing, "well at least Im trying " I remeber my dad told me your one of the legends from the 20's or was it 30's! your techincal contributions have been an inspiration,

seriously your most recent post, was I think, three months ago now, but is was really helpfull, as you know - I feel you have so much more to contribute!!!!!!! to this forum, just talk us through an engine rebuild process, the little things what to check, bearings especially the gearbox and crank - remember most people dont know! "what you take as second nature" so please talk about the the issues when building so critical for a reliable motor!!!!!!!! "so talk to us Teddy" - but please no more on flywheels - as this could start JB off again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! goodness I think we should say this short and be quick as he may miss it ! but Ted no worries mate Im patient, but I can not wait for ever, so please as long as you wish ans remeber the little things.

cheers Derek
"Here's to ledgends and "has been's" who cares".

Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Nostaglia -- the Whore of Memory ...   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 pm

So spaketh William Shakespeare -- "...nostalgia be the whore of memory..." so I say, what are pictures of the past but soppy nostalgia...?

Really I am quite needled `cos I can´t get on Facebook because some of them thar pichers on there might be of JayBee in the time of his prime of when he spat nails and took no notice of a right elbow skinned to the bone -- What a Face -- at Llandow it were!***

So, for a poor, senile old soul -- tell me more about them lovely pichers you have on Facebook.

***not saying anymore otherwise I´ll get accused ogf being nostalgic.
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Guys,

My personal opinion is i enjoy both sites, the facebook one for looking at old photo's and the "proper site" for all advice and technical aspects.

I do agree though that the site does go quiet from time to time but thats gonna be that people dont always have time/they work or simply dont know the answer to some things. I post questions on here and dont expect a straight away response as people will do it when they can. If people want pictures or anything technical posting they can pm/email/mail me if they wish for help as alan is a busy man.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
lee hollick

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-04-30

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: posting on here or facebook   BEWARE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 am

hello everyone having watched bantam racing for a few years now along with other clubs of all genre i`ve enjoyed taking quite a few photos at the same time. I`ve been watching this post and the peoples views about posting of pictures on facebook a rather large group of people to just dismiss because some people feel it is`nt the right site.believe me when i say that i`ve had a very positive reaction from viewers of my photos and believe facebook along with other sites is the main reason for hitting so many viewers. In this current economic climate surely the more places pictures appear then the more likely of encouraging people to show an interest and get involved in your sport of choice i dont believe people on facebook will view them and give a negative reaction. Now having been one of the people posting my pictures to the bantam facebook site i would like to share the very same pictures on this forum if members do not object if its the same as other forums i.e loading from a photobucket storage site/other can someone confirm this please i`ll be at all BHR Meetings this year and some CRMC along with others i hope you dont mind me posting this message and that i have`nt offended anyone thanks Lee Hollick
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Lee excellent idea! There 1 or 2 people who cannot access facebook.
So they could have a change to see your pictures... Many Thanks Mike
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Jawohl!   BEWARE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Yes, a good idea.

I might see a pic of "JB" -- pictured on JayBee´s ancient polycarbon crash hat -- and stir some of that sickly nostalgia up for everyone --- yaaawwwnnn - yaaaawwwwnnn -- to get bored by...

By the way -- not intended as a slight against Facebook -- I just got a warning from an old army schoolbuddy in Wales that if you get a flaming Olympic torch coming up on your screen delete immediately. It is a virus that´ll burn up all your files -- also, there´s an old regular Trojan Horse virus doing the rounds plus that if you get a "Friend from Facebook" -- unless you know this friend personally chats to you frequently -- don´t open ....

I got a dose of that trouble a year ago and my Security Umbrella thing managed to prevent half of my "memorable writings" getting done in but it cost a fortune to get going again.

Yaaawwn & Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BEWARE Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEWARE   BEWARE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BEWARE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next