BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt  Empty
PostSubject: message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt    message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 am

if you would be so kind to give your opinion on this point.

I am currently building a water cooled barrel using a D14"cast iron barrel, adding extra transfers and exhausts, for my 125 crank reed engine, when I first built it, I followed George Harris suggestions on boring the barrel to 2.610" (approx 66.5mm) for the liner o/d sizes,

my engine was / is a 54x54.

But I'm really confused or missing somthing, as in the same manual, Mick scut sugests that boring the barrel to anything over a size of 62.5mm will render the barrel weak. !

My questions are please please expalin the theory at this time as I followed this and dont want to build a new barrel that is flawed before I start,

so could you both clarify sadly George it no longer with us, so Trevor if you could perhaps explain what you feel Georges theory on this, and Mick please explain or give me an opinion on this

I would be very greatful.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt    message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 am

Derek ,
Consulted my drawings , then just miked up the original liner , 2.600 " . The barrel was constructed in 95 and has proved to be
problem free , I don`t know what others do but George H was usually correct .

Trevor
Back to top Go down
mscutt

mscutt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt    message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Derek

Yes, I guess that artical and several others that were written around the same time ( about 30 years ago after several meetings at Brian Ing's house ) could all do with updating now. Any takers ?

Mick
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt    message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:35 am

why dont you update your 54x54 section Mick just edit it. surley this would not take too long. 30 years ago i think its 36 years ago.

regds Derek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt    message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

message for Trevor Amos and perhaps Mick scutt
Page 1 of 1