BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Entry level class

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Entry level class Empty
PostSubject: Entry level class   Entry level class Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 5:52 am

Can you put ideas for an Entry Level Class here...

Eg - Option 1 Std Bantams no lights or stands

......Option 2 - your idea...

Back to top Go down
ted firby

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Entry level class Empty
PostSubject: entry level   Entry level class Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 9:14 am

hi! an entry level class should be a class that is as basic as possible,standard frame,swingarm,forks and wheels. a standard engine and gearbox.3 and 4 speeds together,you should be allowed to modify the ignition as there is some good self generating systems available for road bikes,extras that should be allowed are fairings if you wish,seat and tank units,exhaust could be allowed to be modified to allow fitments of fairings,different rims allowd as these are a progesional item that could be used on the next machine ie alloys, but the basic bike should be a road bike stripped of lights ,tinware etc so people can have the cheapest entry ever in to racing,then if they don't like it bolt everthing back on and go for a ride round the lanes.if they like it progression to the next level could start whilst still having a chance to ride. i'm pleased that there is a chance this might get of the ground as things like close ratio gearboxes etc are getting rarer and people with a basic knowledge can have a go.a machine that can be brought for a few hundred pounds and over the course of a few weekends have a machine that could be used.these are my thoughts lets here some more regard ted
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Entry level class Empty
PostSubject: Entry level class   Entry level class Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 10:10 pm

As I said on the raise the profile posts the difference in speed braking and handling of a close to standard road Bantam and a race bike is enormous. Even the slower race bantams will be able to do eighty MPH on Mallory/ Cadwell gearing, a tuned road Bantam around sixty MPH. The safety must be considered in a race and that would not be a good basis for safety. If we can encourage people to build bikes like the ones being suggested for parading, that I think is more feasible. With the hope that they will then want to progress to racing. Another way to increase numbers would be to try to get some of the old bantams sitting in sheds out and racing again. Sixties and seventies bikes will not be competitive in today’s racing so maybe we could work a class out for them. One problem with this is some people with them hear that Bantams are selling for fifteen hundred to two thousand pounds and think they can blow forty years of dust off and make that sort of money. If you are one of them getting real these bikes have a good recent history in the championship. If yours has no recent form it isn’t worth a big payday, but if you want a few hundred pounds and some more shed space put it on the Forum. One of our biggest problems is most people that started there motorcycling life on bantams and have a soft spot for them (hopefully not the Thames mashes) is old. Like Vampires we need new blood, if you have an old bike and know someone young talk to them about the thrill and pleasure of racing a motorcycle. They may well get more from helping to rebuild the bike than just fun (how can I use the words just and fun in the same sentence).
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Entry level class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Entry level class   Entry level class Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Ted your on fire with your ideas and thinking... the speed difference did cross my mind? The last thing we want is bantam's being black flagged for being slow.. Cut teeth/improve in PR6 first...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Entry level class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Entry level class   Entry level class Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Entry level class
Page 1 of 1