BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member and Bantam Build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Edward Irving

Edward Irving

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-04-16

New Member and Bantam Build  Empty
PostSubject: New Member and Bantam Build    New Member and Bantam Build  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi I just wanted to say Hello.

I have been looking at your Forum for some time now and I think it’s fantastic how the bantam racing community pulls together.

I am really keen on all things BSA; I have been riding my 62 Super Rocket and my 65 Bantam D7 for some time now. I cannot remember how I came across Bantam racing but I think it’s fantastic and I have made up my mind to give the 175cc a go.

Somehow I have managed to assemble over the year’s loads of Bantam parts, certainly I have a good frame and engine which are ripe for tuning. I know there is loads of information in the handbook you have put together and on the Forum so I am going to plough though, I am sure there are lots of answers already there.

Good luck for the season everyone and hopefully I will see you in 2015

Edward

Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: New Member and Bantam Build    New Member and Bantam Build  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 am

Welcome to the Bantam web-site and to the Bantam racing fraternity. Any help or advice you may need on any topic then just ask, you are sure to receive a reply. Where are you located, there may be others near you who could help and that is a great advantage for a new comer Remember we were all in your position once so we are sympathetic and understanding of your needs.

Regards, Trevor
Back to top Go down
grahamjnewman

grahamjnewman

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: New Member and Bantam Build    New Member and Bantam Build  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 am

Welcome Edward
As I am only into my second season back at Bantam racing it will be great to see other newcomers to the grid.
I am not the best to ask ,but if you need any help I will try my best to help out,
I am learning new things about Bantams every time I ride it.. Some of it may prove usefull.
Graham Newman
Back to top Go down
Edward Irving

Edward Irving

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New Member and Bantam Build    New Member and Bantam Build  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Trevor / Graham

Thank you for your kind words and I really appreciate the offer help.

I am based in Bedford although I have a job which takes me all over the country and I will at Mallory Park to say hallo if your about.

Over the last few months I have assembled a lot of the parts I need, I have had a good look at Tony Davis’s article on the web site and opted for the Suzuki 175PE piston and the Maico 250 con rod. I have a 38mm Amal Mk 2 Carb which I have owned for some time and was hoping to use. I have three or four matching sand cast cases which I can use and the choice of a few Bantam crank shafts. I have plenty of clutch parts but I can see that I am going to need to do some work to produce something of a racing standard and I was going to opt for one of the PVL or Motoplat ignitions not sure which. I have not really thought about barrels and heads yet and I have a lot of reading to do on that subject. I assume that alloy Todd /BTW heads and barrels are just really hard to come by? I have a good workshop but nothing like all the kit I am going to need to engineer the level of accuracy required so I am going to enlist the help of a machine shop.

I have a good D14 frame and I am in the process of mulling over designs for the rear suspension, I think the idea of a Bantam with a mono shock is absolutely crazy, so that is probably the way I will go. I notice in Alan Browns article he had a bespoke yoke made and I was interested to know if you guys have done the same or if you have used something else compatible? Same question goes for forks and the front wheel?

I could go on asking questions all day and I am sure you have already answered them in the forum.

Thank you again, have a grate weekend and best wishes

Edward

Back to top Go down
grahamjnewman

grahamjnewman

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: New Member and Bantam Build    New Member and Bantam Build  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 2:48 am

To Edward Amal 38mm carb is good and simple,Btw barrel and head are readily available from Brian White and are a great investment ..He really is the man to talk to..
I and a few others use Motoplat ignition ,,set and forget it.
Hope we can meet at Mallory Park. Graham
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member and Bantam Build    New Member and Bantam Build  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member and Bantam Build
Page 1 of 1