BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmie

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2011-07-25

BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Empty
PostSubject: BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct   BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 5:04 am

Sorry for the short notice. Just found out that BBC Northern Ireland (Sky 953) has a 90 minute prog on the Dunlops, starting at 20-30 tonight (Mon 6th Oct).
Back to top Go down
Jimmie

PostSubject: Re: BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct   BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 1:25 am

For those who missed the Film, its now on iplayer for a limited time (Until Monday)
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhws7/road

Be warned If your a bit sensitive, some of the crash scenes might not be for you.
Back to top Go down
Pete Tuke

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct   BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 8:28 pm

I watched this last night while wife was watching that Bake Off thingy.
I did not realise that I could get emotional over a TV program, how wrong was I..
Make sure you either have a hankie or watch alone so no one notices you getting emotional. Honestly it will get you I'm sure of that..
Back to top Go down
Jimmie

PostSubject: Re: BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct   BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Very true. Not the sort of film I would watch a second time.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Couldn´t get it...   BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Most put out:  I could not get it.
 Most odd:  It was for UK only.
 I did see Robert Dunlop´s IoM crash on another TV prog... . That was  when the rear wheel broke up and after the healing  Robert had enormous bother to get his licence back. 

My Son Slick, whilst working for Castrol Honda, was Hizzy Hisplop and Joey´s mechanic at a number of international meetings including TTs when F1 and F2 plus Superbike were added;  later, the younger  brother Robert when at Norton rotary at Lichfield.
   Slick recalls the other side of motorcycle racing. Working for all three was comfortable, frequently fun and a lot of hard work  but with Joey some quaint things happened.
  Preparing the Joey bikes for a TT,  Slick was housed at Joey´s pub-home in Ireland and in two days  the sockets from his socket set mysteriously, and  gradually, went missing. It came out that two of the Dunlop kids (Slick reckons there were lots of them...)  had been burying them in the garden. The reponse came that they´d been told that each individual  socket would grow into a  big plant bearing more of them. It was never proved but it seemed positive that Joey had put the kids up to it. With the bikes prepared,  Joey had them transported to the Island by a fishing trawler which sank in rough weather. If I remember aright Joey still won one of his races and podium finished the other two. Cannot remember which year -- too long ago. Slick reckons he´d never worked so hard -- and long -- as that time...
   When he worked for Hizzy he got himself in bother with the law by riding Hizzy´s TT winning Honda along the Hendon Bye-pass at a speed the trailing BMW-mounted cop could not match.  It was only the traffic lights at Cambridge Circus (old North Circular Road junction)  turning red that allowed the cop to catch up the Honda***...  
   As well as being with Carl  Fogarty & the Ducati  Slick was with the Norton when Robert Dunlop was getting rides on the Norton Rotary. Well remembered is me doing the  chatting (Robert was not a great chatter)  whilst the dyno was number crunching the Rotary´s fantastic torque curve. We agreed that had its 500cc´s capacity been accepted it would have been GP Moto One´s winner. In those days the limit was 500cc.  It was the Americans who classified the Rotary as being a "3-stroke" engine and hence equivalent of 600cc and bigger than the  GPs ´Senior 500cc´s limit´.    
  It is a strange thing that the males of a family are not put off by the death, on the track,  of a close relation. Leon Haslam as example -- his sidecar competing uncle and I think(?) another close relation died in another  motorcycle racing event....

A great pity....
   Cheers!
*** ThatTT winning Honda was officially timed at 143mph! ....
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Pete Tuke

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct   BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 8:10 pm

I know this a side issue to original post.
However I do know about the Haslam referred to, it was Phil, Ron's brother . Phil was killed at Olivers Mount S'boro, in mid 70's his bike slowed going up Quarry Hill was clipped by another rider, fell and was run over by Steve Machin, he incidentally was killed a short time later at Cadwell.
Phil Haslam's accident was horrible, I will not go into details, suffice to say my girlfriend was physically sick we were so near.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct   BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BBC prog on Joey Dunlop tonight 6 Oct
Page 1 of 1