BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition Empty
PostSubject: Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition   Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 7:49 pm

My 185 is now running very well on new Amal Mk2.
However, on long fast straights on full throttle, fullflow, it leans out and EGT goes ballistic!
Despite huge adequote main jet.

So, I am thinking of adding power jet kit.
Does anyone have any advice on how to change jetting when adding a power jet?

I can not use a Mikuni in our classic class

cheers

John
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition   Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 8:29 pm

John sounds like you may have a problem with the air correction jet, richen up the top end by popping in a revised diameter insert. I personally found that for the w/cooled engine running a 34mm MK2 with a power jet was a waste of time and the engine ran sweeter with out it, besides, who needs the complication. The electronic system on the Honda RS now that was essential, and allowed for maintaining reasonable power right up to 14,000rpm
The conundrum is that the traditional power jet richens, whilst the electronic weakens!

What temperature are you reading when the alarm bells ring? Too much retard at peak torque can dump a lot of heat into the pipe and raise temps there, but is not necessarily detrimental to the engine, too hot a plug grade doesn't help, lots of possible causes but diagnosis can be tricky. Be interested in how you overcome the problem, keep us posted.

Trevor
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition   Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:45 pm

I never had any luck with the amal (I tried a mikuni power jet on it too, that was no help)on my 175, it just wouldn't run nice , static it'd seem fine , riding it had no bottom end fueling right and top felt odd too, switched to lectron and you'd think it was a different motor
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition   Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 11:59 pm

John,
I was looking through one of my note books from the late 90s on an unrelated matter and came across some details for the 34mm Amal with the power jet installed that we tried, you have probably resolved the issue now but here are the details any way!

Main jet................ 320

Power jet/main...... 80/240

Cheers, Trevor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition   Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amal Mk2 carb power jet addition
Page 1 of 1