BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A good read

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmie

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2011-07-25

A good read Empty
PostSubject: A good read   A good read Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 8:51 am

Just found my long lost copy of Kevin Cameron's book Top Dead Centre. This is a collection of 'the best of Kevin Cameron articles from Cycle World  covering interviews with top-notch racers, profiles of builders and engineers, analyses of riding techniques etc. Wonderful read, even if I did not understand the text at times which most Bantam racers, no doubt, will already know!

P 48 has the following piece which gives an idea of his writing style. Here he comments on the introduction of  a 'restrictor rule' for the 1978 Daytona races which necessitated  a 'washer' be fitted into the inlet in an effort to reduce top speed. This caused endless problems in fine tuning  engines especially for the privateer:

'Here is what I think. Since some setups needed big sets while others tolerated small ones, couldn't this indicate that two states of flow  were possible in the inlet system? One flow would transmit a strong metering signal to the carburettors, while the other attenuated that signal, requiring big jets. Could not a given intake system produce both types of flow, but at different engine speeds? If the strong-signal type of flow persisted well up into the rev range, then abruptly switched to the weak signal, carburetion would lean out and seizure could result.'

And on p 196:
'Usually, the reason for using a particular carburettors is not because it flows more air in (that's what bigger carburettors are for) but because it delivers a mixture curve suitable for the application.'
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

A good read Empty
PostSubject: Thanks again Jimmie...   A good read Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 am

Thanks again Jimmie!
I look forward to seeing some answers.
Very crude way of ensuring a lowering of performance. In China in 1987 -- phwew! ancient! -- I was shown how the military ensured the motorycyle riders (Don-Rs I suppose) bikes had a restrictor plate after the carburrettor which they said ensured low fuel consumption and that the speed limit was never broken.

Was very Chinese to me!!

Cheers!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de

A good read
Page 1 of 1