BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Before and after pictures

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
1bantamcloser2divorce

1bantamcloser2divorce

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Before and after pictures  Empty
PostSubject: Before and after pictures    Before and after pictures  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 am

Before and after pictures  Oldcrankcase
Before and after pictures  RegattaVictoria2010029

I have started my 54 >< 54 project. First step has been to clean things up. Next step will be to Devcon the crankcases prior to milling .
Could anyone advise me ... does it matter which kind of Devcon I use ? There is both steel and aluminium Devcon putty available here in Canada. Here are my options
http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brand=Devcon&cat=Metal%20Repair
Any advice much appreciated, in anticipation of a long winter in the shed Rolling Eyes .

Many thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Devcon, i remember it so well.   Before and after pictures  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello Vancouver,

This takes me right back. Forming the wider crankcase mouth with Devcon rather than aluminium weld has its pros and cons. I have used both methods quite successfully.

Devcon plus is no distortion of the crankcases due to the thermal stresses induced during the welding process. Minus is taking a set over time (settling so that there is a gap between barrel and crankcase and air leaks developing over time.

Aluminium weld plus is structural rigidity over time. Minus is the distortion, which on my current cases was severe enough to require 0.25mm taken off each face, giving all sorts of gearbox issues.

The devcon you need is Aluminium putty. To get a good airtight seal of the devcon material I would first coat it with Loctite 290 penetrating adhesive, then when tha was all absorbed into any porosity, heat the cases up to about 60 to 80 deg C (in the oven) and paint araldite over the devcon surface (Araldite flows very readily when hot). In addition to further sealing , this protects the devcon.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
1bantamcloser2divorce

1bantamcloser2divorce

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Before and after pictures    Before and after pictures  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 2:45 am

Yes,

Thanks very much for the reply, just the info I was looking for.
Cheers,

Andy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Before and after pictures    Before and after pictures  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Before and after pictures
Page 1 of 1