BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !

Go down 
+8
Nick B
alan
Ned
fowl fellow
ROBBIE
johnSbantam
mjpowell
Derek
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Oi Mike "when are we going to have your list, ?

I see Ian's done his. and, I'm sure very interesting for all, and those returnee's and newboy's building.

regards Derick-lexia.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 am

Derek,

I disagree completley but its a conversation for a bar not a forum Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

James
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Technical stuff   The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:14 am

Hoorah hooray!
Thanks to Alan I am back. Thought I´d been suspended for ever -- nothing like being suspended I assure you, unless it is in Norwich Dock after doing a wobbly at Snetterton -- with a nurse shining a light in my eyes every 20 mins....
---
I seem to recall that Mr Derek Betts said something about a Bantam named Icarus....?
It all started as a sort of sick joke. I´d retired from Grass Track and Speedway training because it seemed important to go to uni and get a proper job as a qualified engineer. During the liason for Simms (diesel fuel injection systems) with Ford R&D I spent a lot of expenses-money on Ford staff at Rainham, and then Dunton which led into Derek Neil getting me to Snetterton to see a Bantam race meeting and I was hooked into making Icarus-1 -- not to race it -- just make it with Derek doing the engine, Les White (Ford engineer) doing our machining and me the bicycle parts. I got the frame Cadmium plated at Leyland whilst visiting the Lancashire truck/bus firm for Simms.
When finished we didn´t get a `jockey´ -- as intended -- and I went to Brands to develope the pipe and then got the idea I´d race and that had me reducing body weight by 2.5 stone but still too heavy. Having my own welding equipment meant a lot of exhaust pipe work -- we had one pipe with a variable parallel portion which was a great help in deciding final configuration. It was a torquey motor which showed up at a Brands Bantam race where I was 14th in practice and 4th in the race -- not far behind the leaders after getting a tow for the six laps ....
There were two Bantams named Icarus. Icarus-2 cost just over 40 quid to build (I had a close ratio gear set to start with...) which was all my own work -- which proved itself in terms of Unreliability. Both very odd as racing amchines. Both long strokers because of wanting torque with reliability more than top end power but where Icarus-1 would only rev to 8400 (sometimes 9000 when being `drag-towed´) Icarus-2 went to 11500 and over 12000rpm where it often stretched its piston and seized.
I´ve explained in an article about Colin Aldridge how Icarus-2 was an experiment in the bicycle set up on handling which upset `The Wobbly Man´no end at Llandow. That was when he crashed his own heap in practice and clambered aboard to find he was on Icarus-2 and not Icarus-1 ... Tried to kill me -- dinnya! - he said, after it seized...
Anyway, having had the fantastic offer of the job in Canada I handed over both Bantams to Colin
-- free of charge --and never heard what became of them.
So -- I´d really like to know ...?
Any info would be gratefully received.
Over to you Derek...
FLW (Famous last words by Ned Query at Snetterton 1981), "Don´t let the revs drop below
9000 or it´ll seize".
Cheers!
JayBee -- for John-Boy!

Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 5:22 am

james i often, come across people who just can not be educated, you can not say power is producted in the barrel and pipe as you can have as many electronic gismo's as you like, it will not give you one extra. h.p. ok remove the barrel how much your electronics giving you then. ?

did you say bar as or pub and I disagree its an excellent topic for a forum, and anything alcoholic for me.

Sleep Sleep Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 11:24 pm

After seeing Ian's set up for his bike(s) I notice the battery voltage is a min of 10.5v before it is changed.
Ian is it a lead acid battery? (normal nominal voltage 12v for 6cells) or is it something a little different like a nickel cadmium,nickel metal hydride or Lithium ion which have different nomimal voltage per cell and possibly a weight saving ?

I use a sealed lead acid batteries that are gel filled so the plate material has has a lower chance of shaking itself to pieces. They are designed for battery back up for house alarms and the like. They have a nominal voltage of 12v. I charge them with a special low current charger to a voltage of 13v, generally they last all day 4 sessions.

Mike

Back to top Go down
TERRY

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:15 am

Mike, what are you running off them, ign and water pump. ?

Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 am

Why put a data logger on anyway? I can't see the point. Newbie question's 101 anyday posted by myself...
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 am

Data logger's

To record information while your riding, I can never remeber what rpm i was doing, going into or comming out of a corner, after a small mod thgis may change good or bad a data logger will tell you this, I believe Data loggers are for those who have bad memories,

"see Mike Powell has'nt got one, but then Mike remebers a lap with Peter T in 1986 ? Peter T has a data logger, but he was also able to correct Mike on the exact time and speed and by what amount they finished apart,? so unless there are any other comments on poor memories, for instance I can never remember, as Diane always reminds me, that I had promised to take her shopping, I just can never remember offering this." so if I had a data logger, I could record this play it back and verify what I did or did not promise to do. also it
means you don't have to write copious notes on what happened or when.

My grandad alwasys useto say- there are those who can and those that will.
"for those that can, do / or will
for those that wish - dream.
for those who try - will succeed
for the dreamers - stop it - just do it.

look at this forum "blimey what a history of do'ers".

"now" - what about commenting on my photo's still no comments on one of the mosts significant photo's - not one of you spotted the item I felt would get most questions.

Kind regards

Derek

Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 am

Hi Derek,

Ah, I see. Understood. Cheers.

And I have a few questions about your photos; in photo 2, what is that? Looks like a lug coming off the frame? Then also, why are there springs holding the exhaust nut on? Is this just a simple unscrew and pop type of exhaust flange, paha, or different?

T

P.S. Derek, Dad exclaims about your exhaust "whoever made that surely took some time lol.." Was it made by yourself?
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 am

Hi Tim/Derek

Well i have found that the only way i am going to learn anything while waiting for payday so we can get a few bits was to go practical and take two other bantams apart and work out why they did the expansion pipe the way they did, use different carbs than what is used now, what gearboxes they have, checking clutches and just taking lots of photos of each bit.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:20 am

Hi Eddie,

Yeah same, haha, I'm absolutely skint now apart from about £60 left in my bank account, and that's about it until September... Even the loose change behind the sofa is gone! Oh dear..

T
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 am

dont waste your time as what I look at past pipes I have made I think the same, see Trevor Amos post on pipe /design and outlets.

Dereks
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 am

Derek

Im not doing it for ideas for the new one, was doing it to see how things have progressed and to enjoy it, its all learning for me.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !    The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The very latest and no technical two stroke tuning topic !
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3