BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ignitions.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:02 am

I've honda rs125 ignitions since 94 (second hand ones of course) and lots of riders have followed suit over the years. There are easy to set up there are just 2 tdc marks on the rotor/stator to line up. There are another 2 lines on the rotor that you strobe at 6'000 and the stator line should be between them. I have both advanced and retarded on occassions with some difference felt.

However due to the cost of getting a stator rewound I thought I'd look into a universal ignition that Zak Perrin mentions 2plus years ago asking about 175 rules and ignition curve etc. I ran the Electrex World kit at the last Cadwell in 09 untested and it woundn't run past 8k so only did the sighting lap, retarded ignition for race 2 wound only rev to 9.5k (4th) Retarded again(x2) on the Sunday revs to 10'250 but i couldn't get any more out of it. Reverted to Honda Kit for 2010.

The Electrex World ignition was put on the Evo engine(in003)for its debut at 3 sisters but I fall off(001) break my collarbone, throughout the season have struggled in the 188 miles and 3 riders to sort the engine out, which is fair enough its still early days..

Anyway for anyone who's interested look up Electrexworld go to -trails MX universal stators- bsa- formula bantam STK176.

STK 176 fits straight on a late 175 cases D10/14/D175 and straight crankshaft, which is probaly what you don't want! I ordered
1 a universal stator
2 rotor to suit a Honda rs125
3 red CDI unit 068068(?)
4 ignition coil Price now £155 plus vat not bad??

The ignition curve was up on this site? Search back... There are other options for cdi's with two curves and also digiatal but Electrex world advised sticking to analogue. I don't like extra switches and things like that its something else to go wrong? I don't like worry gauges either? The only one I have is an analogue rev counter!

Whats the opinion on this ignition being 'approved' for 175s??????
It advances 4degrees peaks at 4k retards 4degrees by 10k then retards another 2? after that but really a 175 shouldn't do more than 10k ???

Mike
Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 am

Evening Mike,
i remember that thread and feel that anything to aid new builds has got to be a good thing. so its should be ok for 175 runners.
Have you or anyone else got any ideas related to getting around the gearbox parts availability for new starters/builders as i think this is also a big issue. Anybody ever modified a four speed box to work well ? i know the ratios are crap but if it could be made to work that could really help. (only for 175s)

what do you think chaps ?
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 am

High nick as far as I'm concerned there is no issue with availablity of gearboxes, you can either purchase a second hand one, ask Brian to convert from std road shafts, or puchase a new by having them made, I have several new boxes made recently, check out my return to bantam racing post, see pictures of some gears recently made, so they are available just need to ask or have them made.

Simple.

its not cheap but what is these days ?

or talk to Al, who has drawings you can copy, and give to your local gear maker /supplier to price up.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:51 am

Nick get to an auto jumble get your hands dirty looking? Then the stall holder comes to you to ask if your looking for c/r gears coz he keeps them separate!!! lol works for me!!

One problem Nick is people have bought boxes from kind hearted racers because they are starting?! Rolling Eyes Never start and sell the box on ebay Mad A Brian box is your cheaper option than getting some mad. Brian has a 4 speed box in his sprinter with alterted changed about gears ?????

Mike
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Mike

Good spot ??????? question - spoke to allan about gears,

actually collected the Mikuni today great Job "thanks Al"

Oi Mike "I just heared back from Valentino Rossi you guessed it "I turned him down" ? can you believe the cheek !? anyway he says the start money was to low, and also too much compertistion in the Bantam class, saddly I think it was me holding out for a better contractual terms, well we are in a recession en't we, did mention the colonic think but he had no idea what I was talking about ?.

I spend some time at Brian's looking at all the things he's been doing with gears, it all looks great, very interesting stuff, but my feeling is if you need some just get them made, by all accounts, only need to make the slider 1st and top gear as so easy to convert std mainshafts that are widly available, you simply need to have some made if you wish to race, The mod Tom does seems to work, on the selector, so Mike you know racing an't cheap, if your going to do it, do it. ? there are all sorts of
companies who can, will provide new gears, especially at the moment/ now's the time. ? make cheaper.

Looks like we have a wealth of knowledge looking in, so important we blaime the bastards from the past, who wore out all the old gears, but it is a serious matter!.

Ray is in china this is the way to go !! - we just need to provide the steel, as it is not anygood out there, I would imagin cost is 10% of what it would cost in europe or UK. especially if you had say 50 sets made.

kind regards

Derek

Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:12 am

Mike,Derek & all,
Off to the auto jumble at ardingly (south of england showground) on sunday hope to drop on some CR gear box bits.Fingers crossed mikes mate is there Laughing
my point was to make it easy for people without previous knowledge, limited expertise or just inexperienced in this sort of build .Loads of people can build bikes but its this sort of thing that holds people back .
How about thinking out side the box and trying an extra class of bantam racing to add to the 125 & 175s something like a production (proddy) 175 you know points ignition, standard pipes (modified) Iron barrels (tuned)no fairings ,that sort of thing.Just a thought.
Bye the way Derek how much for a cr gearbox ? Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:24 am

Hi all
Just " looking back and re-read my last post, look I did not mean to say that word, I was trying to type "Blasts from the past", not "bastards from the past", this is a typographical error on my part, please all accept my aplogies on this, this is actually a typical dyslexic mistake, as I seem to have typed what I may have been thinking, rather than what I meant to type. anyway lets move on.

First Nick, sorry can not get involved but, I had a number of items made and purchased others, I have made into gears std off the shelf items that are very cheap, all you need to do is get then nitirding after making, available to all, I have passed on a number of press on gears to people and would be happy to let you have some, these are brand new en40b, however - I'll be happy to put help your way, if you look back at some of the previouse posts its good info, I have to say, what it costs for each gear, and how much it costs for machining, just check out my previous posts, or I can put you in touch with someone who could make some gears for you no worries. " its not cheep, but it is possible, my advice is the price would come right down if you could get others too be involved, say 10 or 20 sets, talk to me at one of the meetings, make a list of what your wish list is, let me know, I will see what options are available for you. in the mean time talk to Brian or Tom about getting some std gearbox mainshafts moddified to take a press on gear all you need then is to get the other lower cost gears made.

I have other options but letts talk about it soon / off line, i could not possibly print it here anyway !!!!!!!!! ? lol.

regds Derek

Back to top Go down
matt whitcombe

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-06-11

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi All,

It's been some time since I last looked in. As some of you folks may remember I use to race a 125 air-cooled bantam which has been put on hold due to the arrival of children and the subsequent lack of time and money...

Anyhow whilst I was racing my development efforts for a few years before stopping went into a programmable ignition system. I developed the ignition from scratch and got as far as running it down the lane etc. To me it seems a great shame that all that work I did is just sitting there and I would guess it’s say 70% complete for actual competition use.

My great aim at the time was to produce a programmable CDI system for relative low cost. As I am by training an electronics engineer I decided to have a go.

Here is a photo of the PC setup software showing an RS125 curve I found on the internet.

Ignitions..... Picture1

The basic spec for the ignition is:-

• Programmable curve with the ability to set ignition angle every 120rpm to an accuracy of 0.25 degrees
• Ignition range of 1200 to 15000rpm.
• Programmable rev limiter
• Rev counter output
• 12V total loss (needs a battery to run). Ignition generates 250V internally.
• 2 programmable outputs for electric Power Jet/ Rev limit lamp or whatever
• Ability to store 8 curves in the ignition and select them track side.

It’s still very much a stalled development project, but I would be interested in talking with anyone who can help me to perhaps finish it off as I would like one day to see it finished.

That’s all for now. I will keep looking in on the forum from time to time. Good to see the bantams still going, I have some great memories of the 10years I had racing..
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Attn Mike Powell - self generating ignition system supplier   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 3:09 am

Hi Mike,

Would not Rex Caunt offer a system - I thought he had made production ones for Formula Bantams. Mine was a prototype for these, which incidentally I paid a sensible price for.

Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 9:14 am

I'll email Rex..

Matt good to hear from you... hope someone takes you up on your offer... you must come to a meeting sometime...

Regards Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ignitions..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignitions.....   Ignitions..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ignitions.....
Page 1 of 1