BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Builds - Learners

Go down 
+20
luke.plane
Trevor Amos
mscutt
mark taylor
Nick B
ted
mm_tribsa
dansofield550
Ned
tonydavis
undredseesee
Andy C
mjpowell
ROBBIE
alan
john bass
Derek
adam p
Tim Cornish
Edward Pickering
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 5:57 am

Tim,

I havent forgotten about putting the project pic on for you.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 5:59 am

Hi Eddie,

Ah, yes, I agree with John's posts; nor am I deterred by other people or whatever business they may have.

Eddie my email is tim.cornish@tiscali.co.uk, I think you have it ? It's a lot better than sending photos over the PM system I guess.

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 6:20 am

Hi Tim,

Once i work out the picture i like im gonna post it on here anyway so everyone can see, good or bad comments.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Moved To History Opinions Topic

Last edited by Edward Pickering on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Nice! Looks like a bike I was buying one time then accidentally forgot to ring back. Could've spent the best £600 of2009 for that! Looks like a great bike, Eddie! Yes, front forks look like a Bantam, ish, but the main hub doesn't? Hmmm. What are the internals or is that unknown yet?

T
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 am

looks a great little bike, where did you get it from, its a longstroke ? looks like it just needs some minor touching up,
some of these good old day long strokes where so reliable, never reved above 8,000 they would go on for ever.

great shot - Not sure my other half, would allow "me" a bench in the kitchen" - never mind the bike, "well done to you" looks the dogs tagums.

keep going

Regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 am

How can you tell if it's a long stroke, Derek?

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:51 am

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the comments, not to sure on those two bits so will ask dad. Bonus of living with my dad and no women in the house so the bench is only the half of it Very Happy

Doesnt need to many bits and he runs too.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 1:50 am

Tim Cornish wrote:
How can you tell if it's a long stroke, Derek?

T

H Tim " i'm a telepathic" did'nt you know its a gift all formula bantam racers develop, as a result of screeming into a corner and knowing the thing going to seize just as you roll off the throttle, !! anyway it could be because it looks like one "no welding round the crancases", also if you count the number of fins on the barrel, normally short strokes have one or two less fins than a long stroke has, it has a full compliment, but Im only guessing.

Eddie see you been busy with the solvo autosolve, you fancy doing the same to my wheels, yours look the busines.

The whole thing really looks the part, a great little bike to start your Bantam racing career on.

it run's you say" - u-tube it let us all listen to it.

What's the ignition ? and what carburetor your running lets see some more photo's, are you going to mallory, see if you can get alan to one side for some tips on set up / carburation and so on.

I can see its all there. and ready to go.

Derek
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:18 am

Hi Derek,

Yeah goog old Autosol and elbow grease, didnt take long either so did the exhaust guard and the clutch egg and points cover too. Dad thinks im mad and gets me to do all those kinds of bits.

will try and run it again soon and do a video, does sound nice and goes well with the 747 smell!

its running points and a tt carb, will go on the computer and put some more pics on. Dads going to Mallory so will mention it to him.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
adam p

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 am

hi eddie, wow you've been hard at it. i agree with tim and derek thats a great bike, puts mine in the shade a bit ,well done best regards adam. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 am

Puts me to shame too haha, I've probably progressed the least in the time you guys have nearly made your bikes! Dayum.
Back to top Go down
adam p

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 am

hi eddie,just saw your post about rear sets,i am currently working on those. all i did was to trawl through lots of photo's/magazines to try and gain ideas (a good pic for the brake pedal is on the last page of returning to bantam racing post on here) for how they could be, then do some measuring,and work out how to make the pivot, i've got a split foot rest and the pedals are on a bearing sandwiched between the two halves the footrest is bolted to the modified sub frame via a long 12mm bolt,i'm begining to think i've put them too high up but we'll see. another good source if you havn't already seen it is alan browns bantam racer pages here's the link Smile http://www.bsabantamracing.com/bantamracer/bantam_racer_1.htm hope it works i'm not very good with computers. hope this helps very best regards adam. p.s it will be clearer when i get some pictures posted Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 am

Hi Tim and Adam,

Thanks for the nice comments, this is only one of my projects and not my dads racer. You have to bear in mind thats i got this as a non runner a while back and just went through the motions of common sense to get him running and work things out which is down to my dads help and allowing me to do things, hopefully the pair of you will be able to post pics oof your progress. If you are stuck with photos adam then pm me and i will try and help as i have only just worked it out.

Thanks for the footrest info adam, alan and dereks pictures are always useful as a guide to us new people on here.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Moved To History Opinions Topic

Last edited by Edward Pickering on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Bloody hell what a bike! Looks really nice there Eddie, puts my project to shame haha! Crank case dilling, re-wire, nice exhaust, heat shield, that's a pretty tuned bike I gotta say!

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 am

Hi Tim,

Cheers for that, a few more bits to sort and put on or repair and replace but hopefully might find a few bits at the weekend.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:09 am

Hi Eddie,

Sounds nice! I have a few more bits to do as well, and my definition of few in this project is probably loads... I'm short on money now so I think it's about time to sell my body to medical science to get some "dosh" in as you Brits say...

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:32 am

Tim,

Not all things cost money, taking things apart and cleaning or reading up. I see you wanted to buy a race rolling chassis and derek has one for sale?

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:50 am

Derek's rolling chassis is too much for me I must admit. Being skint enough to not afford £50 ignition which will cancel me out for a few things was hard, and then the idea of buying a <£500 chassis gets me. It's extremely annoying when two things overlap.

Just been out into the garage to try and see if I can do anymore on the engine; stormed out after 15 minutes after my Haynes Manual confusing me over how to put a 4 speed box into the right hand crankcase, when mine's a 3 speed. Words cannot explain how frustrated I am now, lol. Plus the fact I should be revising for my exams, and that Dad would not help me tonight, or this week, and the only day he has free is Saturday, and I am not free on Saturday due to revising. Now I come to think of it, buying a bike would've been the best idea... I'm open to donations now LOL.

T

Sorry about the whining, just frustrated about expenses and the confusion of Haynes and the act of "throwing something across the garage shouting oh f*@#! if something does not go well".
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 am

Hi Tim,

well money is always an issue but thats building and racing, how are you getting confused with the gear box? We all get frustrated but when you get something done its all satisfaction.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:24 am

As with confusion the gearbox, the splines will not meet up, I actually have no clue how to describe it though, I've no idea what's gone wrong but I two gears will not meet up.

With Derek's frame he might have another buyer as he was commenting on Mike's post but Derek seems to have "ruffled up" the competition so meh, I'll have to sacrifice my D7 rolling chassis with logbook and all to make a race frame. Most people would call me crazy for that but oh well, if in doubt sacrifice your best frame so as not to spend much money. What forks and front wheel are you using? Looks like Bantam forks with a different hub?

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:45 am

Hi Tim,

Strange, did it come out of the engine you are using?

i cant comment on the bits you mention about derek as i dont know although i know he has been very helpful to me and i cant even remember the last time a chassis was for sale but that maybe be as im not known.

As far as i know they are bantam forks but i havent a clue about the hub hence why i posted a pic and hope somebody maybe able to tell me on here.

Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 am

Hi Eddie,

I know where I went wrong now... I was trying to put a mainshaft into the layshaft hole with another layshaft! Absolutely stupid haha! You can tell I'm not suited to this project but oh well, I must continue it anyway! Eating all the money in my pocket and taking all the time I have.. Eurgh!

T
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 am

Tim

Well atleast you worked out what you were doing wrong and have not got it sorted.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Builds - Learners   New Builds - Learners - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Builds - Learners
Page 3 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next