BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

125 rules

Go down 
+6
ROBBIE
Edward Pickering
Derek
alan
Ned
nigel breeze
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:46 am

so, does a power jet come under no pressurised fuel injection rule? why are some bikes water cooled when im sure the rules read no water cooling? how many transfer ports allowed? how many exhaust ports allowed? are programable ignitions allowed?
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 9:51 am

nobby1 wrote:
why are some bikes water cooled when im sure the rules read no water cooling?
That rule is for 175s not 125s
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 9:56 am

nobby1 wrote:
are programable ignitions allowed?

Apparently they are because some of the guys are using them.
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 5:50 pm

the rules for these classes within the drop down box on this site need to be updated or made clearer so as to give a others a better understanding of what is within the rules. would be very dissapointing in turning up with a engine that doesnt comply. unless im looking at an old set of rules/restriction, in which case could somebody post an updated version.

Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Nobby,
When you go to the drop boxes on the site in the rules section, then the drop boxes state clearly 125 rules or 175 rules. On the rules themselves they are headed 125 Rules or 175 rules so why could you be confused?
The only ignition rule we have is shown in the 175 section which is the only restriction we have on ignition, in otherwords this only applies to the 175 class.
Note the 125 class does not mention ignitions, so you can use anything you like within the 125 class, even programmable ignitions.
If you struggle then please ask on the forum and we will gladly help.
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 2:28 am

Hi Nobby Please forgive me for this "just testing the new rules" -

but I just could not resist this one.!!

Hi alan - I have to say "I agree with Nobby" but then I am also originally from the (BHAM) westmidlands so classed as a YAM yAM from Birmingham and "every one knows we Bummies are as thick as two short planks, ? EVEN IF YOU WRITE IT DOWN DONT BE CLEAVER AND EXPECT US TO BE ABLE TO FOLLOW IT - you got to remeber to spell it out for us too " ? LOL

so seen you been busy on the forum ref new rules & layout "i MUST SAY A VERY NICE LOOKING JOB - very posh"! -

FOR THE NEXT TOPIC - WAIT FOR IT "I will appologise now" befoere I start.

Oi Nobby "come on"! - see you appear to be having issues reading, we need to try and keep this one quiet mate, lol "how clear do you want it" I mean can you not see the 125cc /175ccIN GREAT BIG BLACK WRITTING - try adjusting your screen size, what a rodney" or are you playing my tricks. Besides winding people up gets you nowhere, anyway ALANS a great guy and never ! bites - "so pick one of the others as there are plenty of suckers on here just waiting for it, in the best of YAM YAM 'humour of course.

anyways - hows the bike comming on we are gong to try and start a midlands-west centre, like in good old days" meeting one night per month, going to call it the westmid centre - southerners and "london'ers not welcome, true Northerners welcome except (James. C. by comittee approval and appointment only).

if you want to come along it will go somthing like this, only one or two rules - "open your eyes and think before you open your mouth".
NO brawling
NO exzagerating "actually No forget this one " this one going a little to far to soon."
"if your not able to think your in"
The agenda will be somthing like arrive order a bear sit down watch TV "east enders" for the first half hour, GRUNT OCCASIONALLY and sharpen your club - this is all so that we can learn how to understand southerners and treat them accordingly when they step out of line.

lol! lol! lol!

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 10:40 am

bettsd wrote:
EVEN IF YOU WRITE IT DOWN DONT BE CLEAVER AND EXPECT US TO BE ABLE TO FOLLOW IT - you got to remeber to spell it out for us too "

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi Derek,

Well we have decided to play your game and forced your dad to join the Gloucester mafia as he has seen and knows too much! lol!

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi Ned
Sorry about the spelling mate:- but I'm dyslexic didn't you know, so some words I just can not see, never mind trying to spell them. However its never held me back, only in school young kids still lack the maturinty or inteligence to understand it, but it did not make any difference to me at colledge or Univercity!. Dyslexia is a well known disability, affecting the cerebal cortex, mine is classed as being left handed, so I have an incredible memory long term, but do not know where I put a screw driver down 10 seconds earlier, this is why I do not like being disturbed while working on my bike. I tend to lose things.

But it has bennefits too, I have thus uncanny insight, an ability to see people in what I see as a true light, this is a gift all people who suffer with dyslexia have, I feel we are all good, just the things around us influence us to make stupid comments "I' must include myself in this". Its also given me an ability to spot "plonkers, "rodnies and "bull shitters" or people who are not as genuine as they first or would like to appear". In some cases I know the end answers without having to go through a whole load of boring processes, one very educated professor from california, recons dyslexia is an evolution of the brain, anyway some of the worlds best know, succesfull and wealthy businessmen have the same disability. While I am not as succesfull as some of these I have done ok".

But like all people who suffer with this disability, I have had to put up with a great deal of ignorance from people who just dont understand or more to the point dont want to know.

Its taken me a long time to come to terms with, and what people have to go through who have this disability I feel it gives us an
uncanny ability / determination to keep going eeeeven when it's difficult or embarrising, Bantam racing has plyed a major part in my life that has allowed me to see, and hone and perfect an ability to never give up, as success "IS" always only just round the next corner. I cherish the lessons I have learnt while tuning and racing and they have helpped me in all walks of my like, as did my judo.

Now I have my own theory, I now feel Dyslexia is a gift from God:- only those truly blest can have it, as many other attributes come with it and only our mom's know this, but that's another story : so lets leave it at that.

Really great to see you posting, I wish you could pursuade the others who we know look in too post it would be great!. -

32 years ago this month - RAF WEST RAYNHAM we arrived 7.35 after a mission of a drive - put up tent, and made our way to officers mess, (me and dad) It was the month of may, you were there with you wife and "young kids then" and two friends sitting in the round leather chairs in the corner, you called me over, from the bar, and we talked for quite a while. I was a very impressionable young man then, I new then you were a good guy, just had problms controlling your enthusiasum, some people would say your mouth, LOL ! ("it may have been the bear). Anyway it was the month of my birthday! the year I believe was 1979 "we had a conversation", can you remember it "I can" "every word"- and what you did for me the next day too, Good educational times!.

Very best regards:- Derek Betts

Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 3:13 am

so 125 rule 2 (e) only standard barrel to be used.. as doesnt specifically say STANDARD BSA BANTAM 125CC BARREL, you can use any barrel off any bike water cooled or air cooled as long as you can get it to fit its not a problem? if this barrel has four transfers and three exhaust ports and a boost port as standard its ok?..... i like things to be spelt out no grey areas as you can tell..so please humour me jocolor jocolor

Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 4:38 am

No all water-cooled barrels start life as a air cooled bantam barrel with the fins removed and ports brazed on and a jacket around the outside hope this helps
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 4:58 am

cheers cheers thanks robbie thats cleared
that up, but the wording of the rule "standard barrel" is vague and to me open to interpretation as it doesnt specifiy like the rule "bantam crankcases" to be used.....

Last edited by nobby1 on Sun May 08, 2011 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 5:17 am

so what if i broke off all the fins and had "the barrel" used as a sleeve in another barrel..... Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Basketball Basketball

Last edited by nobby1 on Thu May 12, 2011 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 6:08 am

Water cooled cylinders to remain cast iron/steel too not alloy....

Rules need to be more easily understood? Spot anymore Nobby?
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:03 am

in the 125cc drop down box it doesnt mention this, only that the todd and bwt should remain air cooled. it doesnt says anything about the specifics regarding the cooling of the cast barrel, or whether its d1 , d7, b175. so mike yourself and robbie must have an updated set of rules Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy it also makes no mention about exhaust valves ,a bit like the answer to the ignition system question i suspect.... not mentioned so allowed? so is the power jet not a form of pressurised fuel injection?
enjoyed watching at mallory, with tom snow giving you somthing to think about... thanks for your help with my questions scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Nobby,
There is no pressure involved in a powerjet at all! the jet only works when it is "sucked" by the inlet depression, so no way can it be called "pressurised".

I will discuss the rules with Mike Powell at Pembrey, but have to say you are the first to come with these comments, basically the 125 rules are open to some interpretation, especially when it comes to ignition so for 125 class only, anything you can imagine can be used.

For the 175 class you must have a straight line ignition of max 4 degrees retard.

No carb max size is stated for 125 class but is 38mm for the 175.

I will discuss wording regarding the barrel rules with Mike, but you will not be stopped racing if you turn up with something that falls out of the accepted rule interpretations, however, you may not actually score points until it is corrected.
Better still, get to more meetings and talk to us all and we will help with everything we can! just so we can get you out on the track and enjoying yourself...
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 4:55 am

hi seen your relpy can see some issues here but not with these two,

125cc
Rule 2 engine
ref:- to - e) ONLY std cylinder barrel to be used but may be modified. etc
a barrel off another make to me, is not std but did yamaha maico, suzuki or Honda ever make barrels for the bantam they may have done? Oi "ureka yes they did" I have one - its exaclty the same as a 2012 RS 125 Honda - just happen to come across it at a recent autojumble - fits perfectly. lol

175cc
Rule 2 engine
i) Ignition to be fixed timing. (i.e. not advancing or retarding type), however Ducati Energer and PVL straight line (max 4deg retard are allowed)

hope this helps.

Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Ref to Alans previous post :-

175's carbs 38mm max

CIRCLULAR bore only

not the oval bore's you can use on a 125...
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 7:18 pm

again ,thanks to all of you for the info study study you know what its like trying to get an edge with the engine development, dream up all sorts of cunning ideas, but obviously keeping within the rules geek geek

Last edited by nobby1 on Sun May 15, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Ah so! we are all into the same game Nobby. You are just begining to feel the joy of bantam racing!
Good luck with the development and will we see you out this year?
Cheers,
Alan
scratch
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 7:11 am

work situation is causing me problems at present so im not able to give a start date... but its giving me more time to play in the garage. bikes ready, i think scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Derek. Sorry for the late response, been off line for a while. Under normal circumstances I would never criticize anyones spelling, one because I think it's rude, two because I use spell checker to correct my bad spelling before I post. Wink
But it made me chuckle when I read your post with spelling mistakes referring to spelling things out, and because after reading your posts I have come to the conclusion you are a wined up merchant I thought I would give you a taste of your own medicine.
As you seem so clued up on dislexia can you please explain something that's always baffled me. Why is it that people who claim to have dislexia can spell it and I cant. ? Laughing
Incidentally we always referred to West Rainham as WET Rainham. Rarely got good weather there.!!!
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: speelling or is it speling ?   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I respect your expertise as a great past master / Bantam racer Ned (maybe one day I might be lucky enough to meet you and hear the history), but...... your spell checker needs correcting mate.

I think many may surmise someone generally is a wind up merchant, although there was a confession once that a post was after a few beverages and he might have been wined up !!

Any day I can spell dyslexia, although most days I struggle to spell vee a cull or read drug names like Paroexitine.
Back to top Go down
TERRY

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-05-25

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Dear Ned

My name is Terry Betts, I use to drive Derek to all the meeting and help with all the work, eventually he actually learnt to do most if not all of it himself, with a little guidance and help from me and others in the paddock, his main fault was listening to others and trying what they had said rather than learning from his own mistakes, anyway as a very young and very impressionable 17 year old he was very excitable and keen to learn, and nothing has clearly changed here, however I also remember sitting and listening to that conversation you had with Derek he spoke of, and 1979 was about right, You know he actually believed every word you said, but I can not think of a time ever! I have had to sit and listen to so much bullshit from one person.

At this time Derek was young enough to still have super hero's,"people he looked up to" believe it or not - YOU were one of these, He collected many photo;s but he had his super hero's above his bed, these were You, Mick Scutt, Peter Styles, and Ricardo Tormo, about 1976/7 or 78 I think, anyway, he always believed every word you spoke, even when you did those talks in the paddock, which I always found amusing watching you trying to be serious, anyway Derek's a little wiser now as I'm sure you are, but I chuckled at your comments in your response to Derek, "I was thinking some things never change".

P.S I agree with John you need to check your spell checker, preferably before your take the mick out of someone's spelling. !!

Johns "many thanks for that responce and well said."

Very best regards - Terry Betts.

Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Ned Head   125 rules Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 12:21 am

Terry,

Life seems to go in interesting circles.
Only just late this afternoon, sitting looking at the NED head I got from you.
Trying to figuire out whether to weld up and machine to fit to my 185 for methanol or Avgas ?

It was good to meet up and have a cup of tea with you and Derek at Lydden in 2005.

See, I could not read the numbers of those ahead of me in Masters Parade, nor hear MP's instructions to stay below 60mph so I overtook Mr Styles and Scutt, Ned wasn't there ! But I underestimated the Paddock bend and hit the Kitty Litter, the rest is history.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

125 rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: 125 rules   125 rules Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

125 rules
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next