BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

todd cylinder heads

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

todd cylinder heads Empty
PostSubject: todd cylinder heads   todd cylinder heads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 4:43 am

hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the todd heads and the standard heads on the 175cc engines. ive tried to buy one off ebay but they seem to be very popular and im not sure if their of any benifit. any information would be appreciated. thanks Very Happy it also seems that these race bikes are not much good without the 3 speed cr boxes, which again seem pretty damd hard to come by. is there any other means of getting around this problem? has anyone found an alternative? thanks
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: todd cylinder heads   todd cylinder heads Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 3:34 am

Hi Ref Todd heads fins are thicker than std heads and there were 2 castings made part number on underside of head...
GT 100 A for short reach plugs (1/2")
GT 100 B for long reach plugs (3/4")
Then they were machined to your spec i.e. 52mm (early D1),55mm (later D1 and all D3) or 60mm (all 175's) studs spacing. Also your compression ratio? I know at one time 10:1 road and 13:1 race ones were availble off the shelf so to speak...... However Pete Tibbitts is the only chap I think still using one?(I think) but he runs a iron barrell too!
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: todd cylinder heads   todd cylinder heads Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:20 am

thanks for the todd info, much appreciated
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
Greenbat

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: todd cylinder heads   todd cylinder heads Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 7:47 pm

I was going to post a new topic, but it might be more suitable to put it here.
I have a Todd GT100 B head, for a 175. I am building up a D14/4 engine, and want to fit this head, and an iron barrel that has had the ports polished. The engine will go into a road bike, so whilst I want to increase performance a bit I don't want to lose too much reliability. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
cmurdoch

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: todd cylinder heads   todd cylinder heads Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 5:17 am

There was a Todd head fitted to a 175 barn find I got. Compression was mental, think I calculated 12.5:1. You have to advance the timing the bike by drilling and moving the stator plate. Anyway the bike flies- got it to 60 on the first run... bit silly as it then nipped up, but there was a hill, it was sunny... one thing leads to another.

However give it the beans quickly and it stutters and misfires, and it often needs a push when hot. Did have loads of overheating problems too. Pulls well up hills and pisses down everything the otherside.

Hope this helps you to make your mind up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: todd cylinder heads   todd cylinder heads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

todd cylinder heads
Page 1 of 1