BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bantam Class Profile

Go down 
+7
bennion
Nick B
Tim Cornish
Andy C
Ned
alan
mjpowell
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Bantam Class Profile Empty
PostSubject: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 7:17 am

Just a quick post... any ideas how we could 'up' the profile of the Bantam class with a view to try and get:- 1 new people to race 2:- the current owners of race bikes to race them not store them 3:- get current BHR racers to build (or buy) a bantam to enjoy a extra ride with us?? Our entry at Mallory and Three Sisters was a little low i felt? Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 7:51 am

i agree with mike there are over 20 of us in the points table but we seem to be lucky to get 12 on the grid, what can we do to get more out there??????, finance we cant do but technical probs we can solve as a group and will gladly do so. as to new riders i don't know but getting everybody out and having 1/2 a grid will be a start to making people look at what a great class we are and get them interested.
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Mike and all,
I agree with your sentiments, and I have to say it is no easy thing making your self accessible to new starters to give assistance but it is very important we do. We are all well spread out and it costs hard cash to help... But to improve the grids we all as a group could be more encouraging to "newbies".
Maybe try to work on the social side, and further encouragement via the web site maybe with an odd article (everyone?) that will keep people looking at the site and wondering!
There are plenty of bikes out there but not so many are being released into the hands of racers.
I suggest that the slower bikes are given more of a hand to catch up and compress the field, so that the racing is a lot more exciting, this will encourage other riders for sure.
The points system is a bit spread with the various jumps in the points, and I have discussed possible changes with Pete (just talk) and will put some stuff up on the forum in due course that will bring out some discussion and maybe changes for next year if we all feel the need, we shall see.
I am willing to help if anyone wants to talk.
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 1:11 am

If you find the solution you will have answered a question thats older than young Scutty. Us old timers are amazed that you guys have kept the class alive this long.
Back to top Go down
Andy C

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 3:47 am

My bike was offered for sale last year very cheap with no intrest ! so it may as well stay in the shed sorry there was some bloke from France kept e mailing think he just wanted a pen pal !!
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 4:03 am

hi does anyone have any bikes for sale?
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Andys bike   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 7:13 am

Hi Andy how much do you want for your bike? and which one is it ? monoshock with Tom engine or Andy Moulden engine ? Regards Mike
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 7:22 am

hi andy,

im looking for a bike for my first season next year and im thinking of buying a 175 one. just wondering is your bike stil for sale and if it is how much are you asking for it? if the price is too high for me could you tell me if you know any other people who are selling bikes?

cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 7:24 am

hi,

im coming to Mallory Park on June 7th so im going to be round in the pits asking the riders and mates around about starting racing for next season.Alan has told me its better to start at 175 level so i might stick with that.

cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Based on the chamionship result pages the three sisters entry was not that different to last year. Trying to account for missing riders I came up with the following;

Ray Davis : In china
James Cook, Steve Panter, Richard Hall, John Baker : Bikes not ready
Mick Potter : Season off
Aiden Bent: Only doing Anglesey
The Partingtons, Chris Bennion : No idea

I have spoken to John Baker and tried to contact Richard Hall but believe he has some engine issues. Ray I believe may be back later in the year, Steve Panter I am told should be out soon so the prospects for later in the season look brighter.

Anyone know where Sam & Tim, or anyone else is this year ?

In terms of the profile, maybe we should look to the scooters which seem to go from strength to strength, they have some advantages though in availability of parts ( have seen race cranks for £80 off the shelf) wide range of classes and a cult following, which probably makes the class more accessible.

I think the website and forum help but if you look at the scooter sites they are significantly more active with many riders maintaining blogs and assisting newcomers.

Perhaps we need to do some marketing, the scooters invite local clubs to race meets maybe we should contact the Bantam owners club and get them to a race meeting on mass perhaps with a lunchtime parade if we could organise it with the club.

James
Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi to all

Firstly can I thank everyone at Three Sisters for their encouragement / advice to help get me through my first meeting. My thoughts on Mike's subject are as follows:

The attraction of Bantam racing for me was to race a British historic bike and maybe that's one thing we can use in our favour. Can we run features in vmcc mag for free? this might raise a bit more awareness of our class.

I think the most difficult problem to ovecome is that our bikes are all one offs so you can't just buy the necessary parts, bolt it together & go racing. Perhaps we need to tweak the regs a bit more & lean towards a standardish type third class. A top rider can win on a really good 175.
No good to a novice just starting!

I agree it would be great to compress the whole field but in reality it would never happen. If we all had identical bikes the field would spread due to everyones level of riding skill, so its probably better to focus on grid numbers rather than race finish quality.

Maybe we can introduce a For Sale / notice board to the site to help newcomers obtain what they need to build thier bikes. I know this won't guarantee they make it to the grid but we need to make it easier to achieve a completed build. Tom, Brian, Ted & others have probably got lots of the more difficult stuff to make that could be refurbed & used again.

Anyway what's your thoughts & see you at Mallory Nick #256
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 10:49 pm

Just a little bit of info re promoting the formulas history.
The original Bantam formula was intended as a garden shed product, making it a cheaper and more appealing way to go racing.
One rule to keep costs down was not to allow fairings.
After a few successful years it was noted that there were less younger members joining. The introduction of fairings was more to do with improving the image of the formula making it more appealing to younger riders and making it look less antiquated, than improving performance.

The introduction of fairings had the desired effect. But the rule change didn't happen over night. The proposal had to be submitted at a couple of AGMs before the die hards against change were out voted.
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:52 am

Nick B wrote:
Hi to all

Firstly can I thank everyone at Three Sisters for their encouragement / advice to help get me through my first meeting. My thoughts on Mike's subject are as follows:

The attraction of Bantam racing for me was to race a British historic bike and maybe that's one thing we can use in our favour. Can we run features in vmcc mag for free? this might raise a bit more awareness of our class.

I think the most difficult problem to ovecome is that our bikes are all one offs so you can't just buy the necessary parts, bolt it together & go racing. Perhaps we need to tweak the regs a bit more & lean towards a standardish type third class. A top rider can win on a really good 175.
No good to a novice just starting!

I agree it would be great to compress the whole field but in reality it would never happen. If we all had identical bikes the field would spread due to everyones level of riding skill, so its probably better to focus on grid numbers rather than race finish quality.

Maybe we can introduce a For Sale / notice board to the site to help newcomers obtain what they need to build thier bikes. I know this won't guarantee they make it to the grid but we need to make it easier to achieve a completed build. Tom, Brian, Ted & others have probably got lots of the more difficult stuff to make that could be refurbed & used again.

Anyway what's your thoughts & see you at Mallory Nick #256

hi all,

i think Nick's idea is quite good with the for sale thing. im trying to look for a bike to buy and it took me about 2 months to find a bike buzzing about on the forum. i think the "for sale" menu is a good idea for places to sell items and to buy bikes from.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bennion

bennion

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2006-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 6:32 am

Small grids at Mallory and Three Sisters ?
There are probably many reasons why the take up has been relatively low. James Cook has noted a few absentees and their individual circumstances.
Late last year I suffered a family tragedy, have major works to do on the house and garden and I'm afraid the bike hasn't been high in the pecking order.
However, with two finishes (one on a borrowed bike) in about 7 race meetings over the last few years, reliability has not exactly been my forte. This I believe is the prime reason, when coupled with the significant cost of race entries, that deters me and I suspect others from entering more meetings. A dns or a dnf is a very expensive way to spoil the day... and its not just the new starters that need assistance. Alan goes out of his way to offer assistance and has done much to improve my engine. Thanks Alan - really appreciated.
On race entries, an observation to ponder: For about £120 - £140 it is possible to get about five or six 20 minute riding sessions at a top circuit trackday. How does that compare in £/min spent racing the Bantam ?
Hopefuly I'll get my arse on the seat later this season...
Regards
Chris
Back to top Go down
Chuckit

Chuckit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 9:54 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping to be at Mallory as it is looking like my motor will be in one piece in time to enter..
I've got spaghetti junction to deal with at present as I'm in the process of fitting a new, improved ignition... Wires everywhere!
Racing is not massively compatible with saving for a house so I can forsee that it will be a while before I'm up to attending every meeting!

For what it is worth, I think we already have the ideal... The 175 formula is relatively accessible and the 125 formula is attractive to tinkerers who don't want an off the shelf racer. I think it would benefit the class if we could do anything to make it simpler for someone to build or buy a 175 machine....
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:14 pm

I believe that we really need a one stop bantam race shop! However it does not exist and no one could possibly put their own money into such a thing as it would almost certainly fail as a business. What we have at the moment is difficult to manage, as individuals sell their expertise on a one off basis or sell certain parts they find easy to deal with (eg Robbies primary chains etc...)
If we as a group can list who is willing to manufacture/supply what parts, and then only hand the list out at meetings when possible new starters turn up (rather than being badgered through the internet by people with a passing fancy), then we should hit the person more likely to be a new starter.
I agree with the 175 class being more accessible than the 125, but we do need EVERY bantam possible out on the grids, and we all have our own personal crosses to bear at home (some worse than others) so grids will always be variable.
Maybe we should discuss a standard 175 race barrel and crank as a starting kit for someone getting going? the gearbox is difficult, but Brian has a good working alternative sorted and the barrels could well be to his specs.
We need to get together at the next two day meet and see what can be done. I will help with anyone who is willing or can supply something.

I propose a 175 starter kit of parts, any other ideas?

Cheers and see you at Mallory,
Alan
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:12 am

Hi people, this is an interesting discussion and in many ways I think Ned hit the nail on the head....image. Fairings did it in the old days but what about now. Speaking from a point of view that I am conversant with, the site and forum need a revamp, sorry if i'm treading on toes here but i'm talking about something I know about. The site and forum are old friends to all of us but picture the young guy who really wants to try his hand, one look and he's off. A stylish image is attractive to the viewer and grabs their interest, once grabbed, it then keeps them interested. It's the whole basis of E commerce and in a way that's what's going on here, the need to sell the idea of racing bantams to people who have an interest in the genre but don't know where to start or who to ask. A restyled site could be easily navigated through differant pages with helpful articles, parts/bikes for sale, links to suppliers and so much more. It could also be updated regularly with absolute ease, an important factor if the interest thing is going to be maintained. If you need any help with any of the above just let me know and no, I won't be charging, lol.
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Mick,
As the person who looks after the web site and the forum I know what work is required to refresh the site in an attempt to create interest.
I am of the opinion that the site does need this effort, but there are a number of things to resolve between us before we can go ahead.
A new look will not solve the bantam racing lack of riders as it goes a good deal deeper, but if we can just double the yearly uptake in bantam racing and leavers stay at about the same level, then in three years we will look quite healthy. This will take a lot of effort from a lot of people, and we have to start some place or another!
I will email you direct and we can talk things over, then I will speak to as many as possible at Mallory to gauge opinions.
Many thanks for your interest, I am sure you can help, hows about riding again?
Alan
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Lol mate, me ride again? that's a laugh, too old, too heavy, too busy, other than that ok. Look forward to hearing from you soon, i can design something and upload to my test site for opinions and input so the final say would be from you guys, i'm just the guy with the electronic paint brush, lol.
Back to top Go down
Chuckit

Chuckit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 12:40 am

Just an idea that could be incorperated into any website update....
How about a map with flags/marks giving rough locations on all the (willing) riders with a method of contact. That way, potential new riders could request to visit etablished riders for advice?
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 1:20 am

Brill Idea Mr. Steve,
that will need permission from the riders involved but I am sure it can be sought from them. Or so that there is no funny business from internet hackers and the like, we can use a third party system for checking/safety if it is better. But the basic idea is sound.
What about it everyone? any comments? javascript:emoticonp('Smile')
Alan
Back to top Go down
SteveF

SteveF

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 4:34 am

Sounds like a good idea. I would be Ok with my details being made available. Trouble is I know jack sensored
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:17 am

to mikes first post notify all users they either use them or have them repossesed ?

seriously the 1000 festival is a classic opportunity to do this.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Class Profile   Bantam Class Profile Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bantam Class Profile
Page 1 of 1