BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2006-12-01

Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Empty
PostSubject: Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying   Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:14 am

Firstly go and have a look, start thinking racer stop thinking bantam you don't need a road bantam to build a racer. The bantam bits you need can be bought for a few quid off ebay/Autojumble. Example frames £10-£30 I bought 2 for a £10 each, crank cases £15-20 max, internals a few quid, rear wheel hub £15, then if you doing a 175 you may need a crank to convert. Gear box is your stumbling point but there are CR boxes out there, expect to pay £150 or convert (lots of special engineering involved though)a road pair, our Ray and Steve Frayne run on them without any problem.

Buying, please read carefully 'Stay away from out of date piles of old crap off ebay' it would take you a lifetime to make em competitive, most of it will end up in the skip it will end in tears, best ask in the club and buy a proven racer.

Good luck to you all

Tony

ps how old is Zak and Tim?quite a few of us started at 16/17 and there's a few young uns giving the old brigade a run for their money

pps anyone want to update my build a 175 article? adding exhaust, carb setting, timing, chasis, bodywork etc
Back to top Go down
Chuckit

Chuckit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying   Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Can this thread be made sticky so it is always at the top?
Back to top Go down
michaelbrown

michaelbrown

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying   Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:13 pm

To all you newcomers I would gust like to say that I was a newcomer not that long ago and I had it easy I was giving a bike that was a runner and all we had to do was a few minor Tweeks yea fair enought I didn't finish every race when I start but I did finish some the point I am getting to is that there are plenty of bikes up for sale and there all runners where as if like tony sed buy a pile of sensored of eBay and do it up without the knowledge you need then I can garente you will not finish a race and you will get so frustrated you will walk and we don't wanna see that so there is plenty of people willing to help gust ask. Regards. Michael
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying   Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 am

i just turned 17 at the end of may Smile my dad is bringing me to Lydden on the 2nd of August. Maybe i could come talk to some of you guys? Smile

luckily, my dad has trade accounts with companies like Wassell and Hi Level. that will help save a chunk of my budget.

As for knowledge, i am very fortunate to have a very good teacher, my dad. He started teaching me the ins and outs of 2 strokes and 4 strokes when i was 12. I have rebuilt three non running mopeds, and have also carried out engine work on big'ns like GSXR 100's and RSV mille's Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying   Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:11 am

i will be also coming to Lydden on 2nd August! ill have to squeeze it in because im doing a restoration of a Italjet M5D Minicross over the summer but there is a problem, i can't find a spare front engine sprocket because it came without one. ive done throttle, shocks etc but i need that sprocket! does anyone know were i could get one from or if they have one please reply.

cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Chuckit

Chuckit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying   Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 6:58 am

Try B&C?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying   Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Message for newcomers thinking of building and buying
Page 1 of 1