BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good news from me

Go down 
+4
Mick Jones
Tim Cornish
alan
zak_perrin
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
zak_perrin

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 9:34 pm

The Bantam's very close to taking shape now. It now has an almost complete front end (minus a tyre and brake disc) albeit not on the frame yet, as i still have to rub it down, brace it, and send it off to powder coating.

The engine is split and cleaned, and i'm in the process of ordering up a few bits, although i'm doing the engine work after i have a rolling chassis.

Took a bit of a gamble with the wheel though, it's a Honda CB 125 RS front wheel which the guy said was 1.4" wide, so i checked it in a tyre application book and it takes a 2.75 dunlop kr82, so definately not 1.4" like the shop said lol. Also, it fits nicely on the spindle in the forks i'm using, so no need to change bearings, unless there's play in them of course. Looking at getting the forks converted, but at £395 +vat this may have to wait a while, i'm afraid my EMA payments wont be able to buy that it Very Happy

so yeah it's coming on nicely, I'll post pictures etc if people ask for them Smile

Zak
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Please post some pictures Zak,
Love to see how you are progressing. I note that you are doing the cycle parts first... this tends to be the easier job and most new starters go down this route. I always advise to concentrate on the motor as this is where it matters in bantam racing and you can loose a lot by rushing at the end of the build, better to rush the cycle parts than the motor!

Anglesey soon.. will we see you in the paddock over there?
Cheers,
Alan scratch
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:09 pm

alan wrote:
Please post some pictures Zak,
Love to see how you are progressing. I note that you are doing the cycle parts first... this tends to be the easier job and most new starters go down this route. I always advise to concentrate on the motor as this is where it matters in bantam racing and you can loose a lot by rushing at the end of the build, better to rush the cycle parts than the motor!

Anglesey soon.. will we see you in the paddock over there?
Cheers,
Alan scratch

thanks for that alan, i've blogged everything on myspace and Tj tuning, so i'll transfer over a few pics, or my whole blog if you like Very Happy

I see what you mean about focusing on the engine rather than getting a rolling chassis, i'm starting the process of building it while the frames at powder coating Very Happy

going to the opticians tomorrow to get that part of the ACU application signed, going to ask my dad very nicely about a trip up to Rugby to do the Competitors course at some point so i can then send my application off Smile

and no with regards to Anglesey as I'm away camping in Somerset with the parents, mum didnt take kindly to the idea of a detour on our way there lol.
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm

me too Zac. I've nearly sent off my application for the ACU. Need to do eye test( strangely i need to have one again. I would advise you to get a dog tag with your name, age and blood type on it incase of any unwanted accidents! affraid I had one last week because i had small dots on my retina but all is fine now.) Might do competitors course next month and get the bike from Andy C. Here's a pic if you're interested in what it looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41090654@N05/3787835231/

Need to ask Jimmy for a fairing and tank. Then get it sent off for spraying and i'm done. Zac, where are you camping in Somerset? I live in Wiltshire which is just next to Somerset. I am very looking forward to joining you guys and you Zac on the grid next season! Keep riding and keep racing!

cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Also with TJ Tuning it's not letting me register which is very annoying! Can you help me avoid this problem?

Tim
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:12 am

tim, ive already got my tags made, and you have to have them.

errrm minehead i believe is where we're staying. I'll talk to stanley or trevor for you about tjtuning
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:28 am

cheers, hope you enjoy your stay at Minehead!

Tim
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 pm

pictures as promised Smile

this is the original box of bits from london Smile
Good news from me L_a7a0acbbbe0a4d9da10685d339f44adb

Good news from me L_5260ac0494b54b568b03e7afb2889bb3

Down at my dad's workshop with the engine, all of the clutch assembly minus the basket was missing.
Good news from me L_389200ce5fa44434ad4d2c3f96d76a25

the cover was easy to take off after i found out the part of the haynes manual saying "this bolt is LEFT HAND THREAD" lol
Good news from me L_2ca14c7d4c3642ac82f45ce79ddf21aa

the cases split, the copper mallet was plan b Smile
Good news from me L_d9784e2a219b489da7fe0e87d739fb89

before
Good news from me L_6492a23e7be846ea87341939c8b0d5f5

after, going to paint anyways
Good news from me L_6492a23e7be846ea87341939c8b0d5f5

the front wheel rim came up a lot better than the rear wheel rim, which looks like it's made out of solid rust, so it will be transferred over to the rear hub Smile
Good news from me L_c251972dd8864bb4a4784ccb6822dc18

rear wheel after half an hour
Good news from me L_4ba0c78c6c5a4961b6d7672e288ce1e8

the forks we dug out at home Smile
Good news from me L_3ace598cdf264fa495d7102c8c661b2d

the CB 125 wheel on the powervalve forks, it was delivered to my home address so it was just a mock up Smile
Good news from me L_f227bd5b2dd945289de02ba6831342ad

Aprilia Rs caliper before stripping. came with master cylinder as well Smile
Good news from me L_b78810f8dbde4867961d4cc9a5838401

stripped paint, washed remainder off in sink afterwards
Good news from me L_7bd0c725bb984666b810dcd0ca5f9eb1

after primer
Good news from me L_71316b3264314ecd8d9da1d60ed34fb4

neon orange all the way Very Happy
Good news from me L_24e69981f2c949249dc03ee39c57c50a

just for the heck of it i'll post some pics of my Rs for some of you to look at Smile

Good news from me L_7b965c8857fc4f1d9296476cccb50357

Good news from me L_30fcc4c350074d4198d1fbb8af3a03a6

now has a gianelli system on it as the standard on as pictured split
Good news from me L_199ba93a8aa947fda8af5849978c4630

i'll post more bantam related pics when i have them, finishing the caliper today Very Happy

going to the opticians today so they can sign that off as well, then just need the course and join the vmcc Very Happy

all for now
Zak
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 8:52 pm

lovely bike Zak! I have an idea for my first bike i will just add a number plate holder on the back of the seat and put some indicators on and a headlight through the fairing to my first/ second bantam! its a cracking idea! A road legal race Bantam!
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 10:10 pm

Very Happy LOL, Zac, that pile of bits looks just like my first bantam back in 73, i picked it up in January and raced it for the first time in March, it wasn't finished properly and was as rough as a rusty nail but it got me on track(and in a ploughed field i remember). Embarassed
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 am

Tim, good luck riding a bantam at 16 on the road lol. even if you get it registered as a 50, insurance will kill.

Mick, luckily the first race i will (hopefully) be competing in is Mallory, unless the schedule is different next year, so i wont end up in a field Very Happy luckily i've also got a bit more time to finish it Smile got the optician's report completed today, just need the course now and then i can submit my lisence forms Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 am

Nice One Zak,
Hope the bantam comes along OK. You will be able to get some of your cash back by putting the unwanted bits back through Ebay! had you sorted a barrel out with Brian White whilst you were at lydden. the iron barrels are V/hard to work on and limited with what you can do without some seriously major surgery!
What you doing for the crank as well? fast 175 engines all appear to have small fly wheels but you can still do reasonable with the modified large versions.
Good luck with the build, and hope we get you out at Mallory!
Alan
PS: nice pics!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:57 am

Hi guys,

With the license forms it says i need to have a club official sign it? Does this mean somebody from Bantam racing or someone from the VMCC's Racing section? I've nearly completed the forms now. Did all of them today apart from the eyesight and medical. Need to get passport photo. I have photocopied my birth certificate. Hoping to get the Bantam from Andy next month. Beter ring him up later and sign the deal. Good luck with your forms Zak.

Tim

P.S. Zak, when are you taking your competitors course?
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 2:02 am

me and my dad are still debating about the crank, we found one in his box of bits from "back in the day" which i've got to measure up. we've got a machinist who's going to make the timing shaft and press/balance the crank.

yeah all the loom and stuff is going on once i've finished building. i've been finding bits and peices to sell to fund the build lol.

no i didnt sort a barrel out at lydden because i couldnt find him, however i now have a contact number and will be phoning when i get back from minehead as i get paid the day after Very Happy

Alan a question for you, the optician said that as he doesnt know much about the form he just signed for me, he doesnt know if i'll need special glasses or whether i'll be fine without glasses, i noticed you wear yours while riding and the optician said that i may need special frames? are yours normal frames or polycarbonate???

Tim you dont need medical unless one of the boxes were ticked yes. and that will be vmcc official Smile
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 2:06 am

cheers Zak! I was debating with my Dad when shall i get my medical form done with the doctor. All i need now is the opticians.

Tim
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 2:07 am

haha s'all good, if you read the super small writing it says you dont need it if you ticked no to all boxes.
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:01 am

Hi Zak,
No problem with wearing glasses, and they do not need to be anything special either as they are protected within the helmet. You need to get your vision corrected to be sure that your long sight is good, I do not like contact lenses so have a set of glasses for riding and then have a less powerful set for when I am off the bike. I can see bacteria at four miles with the riding set! but can not read a book with them!
Check out the ACU hand book, the only time it becomes a problem is if you want an international licence, with a restricted clubmans then there is no problem at all.
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:04 am

cool thanks for that Very Happy my visions pretty good with glasses, they're mainly for reading/computer use. i can see fine without them, but on the form i didnt score a minimum of 6/6 by like one mark on the uncorrected, but was 4 over minimum with glasses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:08 am

Leave your glasses in your toolbox.
Then you will out brake everyone geek
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:29 am

Hi guys,

All is sorted out now. In a month or two im going up to Ron Haslams Racing School. Riding their CBR125s. Dad says i need to work on my gearing because it is quite sloppy. Has anyone from the Bantam's tried Ron Haslam's? It looks good to me but is it good in the skin?

cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:31 am

i havent been as i can just submit my cbt certificate, i will be booking a track day after i get my license though.

you will still need the course at rugby house
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 4:37 am

I new that already Zak but thanks for pointing it out.
Back to top Go down

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 am

Hi Tim,

I have done Ron Haslams race school on the CBR 600 and that was excellent, if the 125 stuff is of the same standard you will be fine

James
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 am

Hi zak
my flywheels are full size and you seen how well that goes
also michaels as well
I would stick to standed ones but change the conrod
I am running a seadoo conrod out of a wet bike
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:14 am

very true. the one in the shed is a motorcross crank, possibly out an early yz 125, it's always a backup as i want my flywheels as close to original size lol

what you think of the pics? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Good news from me Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good news from me
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next