BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good news from me

Go down 
+4
Mick Jones
Tim Cornish
alan
zak_perrin
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Good news from me - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:56 am

Robbie,

If you quote a spec / model for the crank it could be added to the build a 175 page, especially as the Maico rods seem to be getting a bit harder to find Laughing

James
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:58 am

i can get maico rods Smile

KTM duke rods are 125mm aswell Smile
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 am

For me i would probably put something Honda RS/Yam TZ scratch

Tim
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 am

bad times, dad had a second look at the powervalve forks with the cb wheel on, and said there's too much gap either side of the hub between it and the forks. however we have a backup plan based on Robbie's idea Wink got a shopping list for when i come back from somerset, and gonna start chopping the extra bits off of the frame and brace it up Smile i'll have a rolling chassis by september i reckon, if i attach some pedals i could ride it to 6th form Wink

good luck to all at anglesey, have fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 3:29 am

Good luck from me too! I have decided to not come to Anglesey every season because it's just too far from sunny Wiltshire! Sad

Tim afro
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi James
the conrod is a seadoo 580 1996 part no CR 144 125mm
from wisco only thing is the crank pin has to be turned down a bit but not a too big job. we have been running this rod all season
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi Robbie,

Sort of drifting away from con rods i saw your name and Michael's under the VMCC's Festival of 1000 Bikes sprint section. Was it good? I didn't see any pics except from the specials but it looked quite good. Didn't know you could use a race Bantam to use for a bit of sprinting! Anyway hope it was good.

Tim scratch
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 3:27 am

Good news from me! I have sent the email to Andy C saying i will buy his bike! I have kindly asked him to knock it down to £550 from £600. So i am extremely chuffed with that! Very Happy

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 7:25 am

ROBBIE wrote:
Hi James
from wisco only thing is the crank pin has to be turned down a bit but not a too big job. we have been running this rod all season

That will explain your improved performance in the wet Laughing Laughing Laughing

James
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 7:28 am

Laughing Laughing So gearing for Anglesey???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 9:02 am

ROBBIE wrote:
Laughing Laughing So gearing for Anglesey???

Checking my notes I have generally gone all Steve Frayne at Anglesey 15:54 Very Happy

This year depending on whether or not there is a force nine gale blowing I may try 16:56 or something.

If I was you Robbie on your Bike I would use 13:58 Laughing Laughing

James
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:16 am

ROBBIE wrote:
Hi James

looks like grampian are going to be having a big order on tuesday from me, need some other bits from them as well.

finished the calliper today, s'all lacquered and ready for pads Smile

also, i have a question about the ignition again. I have the dimensions to machine the shaft to take a motoplat system, and i remember hearing it's the same dimensions for pvl, but is it possible to just make the ignition fit a std bantam shaft??
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:21 am

how's the forks Zak? Heard that you changed the idea of RD's powervalve forks!

Tim scratch
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:28 am

well, yeah thats an interesting fact lol, everything fits and would do nicely, but there's just too much darn clearance between the forks.

HOWEVER

i now have two possible options after talking to my dad about two possible options

1) buy thinner yokes, cut the spindle and make it work that way
2) go with an interesting idea that Robbie is trying at the moment, and just bore out the fork spindle diameter to 15mm to take my wheel and the powervalve spindle

we quickly decided option two as it's going to be cheaper, and we can work on option 1 while the bikes running, rather than have it without a front end and potentially miss track time and races
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:25 am

Hi Zak
The powervalve forks are far to long look at pics of all the races and note were the bottem part of the forks come
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:28 am

ROBBIE wrote:
Hi Zak
The powervalve forks are far to long look at pics of all the races and note were the bottem part of the forks come

I think you need to explain that a bit better Rob.
I am well out off date with modern parts and haven't got a clue what powervalve forks look like. But my bet is the bottom part is somewhere near the spindle. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Ned the forks he got are yamaha LC 250/350 will get over to see Zak after back holiday before goes down the wrong road
Back to top Go down
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Yamaha LC250/350 (1981 onwards) forks have 32mm stanchions. Yamaha YPVS 350 (1983 onwards) are 35mm, these are far too big and heavy for a little bantam Crying or Very sad

I still have my whole front end off my old green 256 racer (see main site), don't really want to sell it but if it helps another racer get out there I might sell it Wink
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:33 pm

ROBBIE wrote:
Hi Ned the forks he got are yamaha LC 250/350 will get over to see Zak after back holiday before goes down the wrong road

the plan was to adjust them through the yokes to make the front sit lower, but as i may have said (either on here on on my project blog, i can't remember) they aren't suitable for the reasons you guys have listed, too heavy, and too wide.

on a good note, my caliper's done Very Happy neon orange and lacquered over Smile found a disc suitable for the front wheel as well so that's on it's way. it's off of an Aprilia Rs 125, which is nice and big Smile

Robbie, thanks for the offer of coming over it's very much appreciated Smile

Tony thankyou for the offer, how much would i be looking at?? that could be a lot less hassle than what i'm doing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi Zak,
Stick with these boys, they will see you right!
How is the engine progressing?
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:52 pm

it's still in bits, but i'm ordering some parts tomorrow, conrod, bearings, seals etc.

my dad found the engineer who used to do some machining on my dad's old production racer, and he's willing to make the shaft for the ignition and press the crank for me Smile

We've been hunting in the loft for a blueprint for a Todd barrel that my dad used to have, and i also took a port map off of my brother's trials bantam. it was used for scramble and had light porting carried out Smile after we've worked out a port map to start with, i shall talk to Mr White about one of his barrels Smile I'm restoring the three cast iron barrels i was given, which i might use for testing different portings on a trackday, or as a paper weight, whichever seems more appropriate Very Happy

so as of yet no progress on the engine, but tomorrow it's full steam ahead Very Happy

license application's all filled out, just need to arrange a day to go to rugby to do that course Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi Zak,
Avoid the iron barrels as if they have the plague!!!!!
They will create havoc and they are not easy to work with and get competitive with, as for the porting in a trials bantam... it bears no comparison to a racer. Best let Robbie advise, better still get a barrel from Brian White and you will be in the right area to begin with, and have somewhere to start from.
Iron Barrel = Paper weight
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:01 pm

alan wrote:
Hi Zak,
Avoid the iron barrels as if they have the plague!!!!!
They will create havoc and they are not easy to work with and get competitive with, as for the porting in a trials bantam... it bears no comparison to a racer. Best let Robbie advise, better still get a barrel from Brian White and you will be in the right area to begin with, and have somewhere to start from.
Iron Barrel = Paper weight
Cheers,
Alan

haha as i said it was only going to be for testing on a trackday. i know the trials one is no comparison, but data is data Smile i have the maps from the tuning guide as well.
i liked the idea of using an nsr400 intake to angle the carb away from the frame, and i have had an idea on how to reduce the loss of back pressure/charge out of the intake, as it doesn't have a reedblock to do this.

wonder if someone will buy the barrel's on ebay? i'm selling a seat and two std pipes as well which will go on later Smile
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:15 am

I'll buy one of your barrels Zak.
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:16 am

how much? they need blasting by the way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good news from me   Good news from me - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good news from me
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next