BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How heavy is your Bantam?

Go down 
+12
ted
Ned
Derek
pushrod
ptibbitt125
johnSbantam
ROBBIE
ray davis
mike redhead
alan
SteveF
mjpowell
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:32 am

Just thought i'd drag this up from the past.... its an interesting read....

Since my earlier comments i have :-
Put on weight
Drilled big holes in my rear hub, fitted 10gauge spokes to the rear wheel and fitted a smaller front disc...

So bikes lighter and i'm heavier - the Status Quo remain
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 am

Status Quo ? "Whatever you want ......" !

My longstroke 175 (cast iron barrel) weighs 88, whereas sswc 125 is 93Kg.
So diecast cases save a bit, but not D5 frame and Bultaco front end.

Alloy barrel next might save 2Kg, but again 4Kgs off the beer pot and summer leathers ?
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Mike 10- gauge, what size were they then and why you gone donw on size of disc the handling issue already commenetd on or a breaking,

if you read my last post I recon a good subject to discuss is Peters reliability, your reliability is also exceptional of late, what do you put this down to, a method of checking, process of development, assembly process, or your before after meeting checks ?

Derek
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:45 am

hi john just taken the scales backinto the garage with some difficulty to weigh the bike 96.8kg ? what ! I'm 94kg so looks like Im wrong, I only need 6bhp more to excellerate at the same rate as the others.

4kg John now come on who are you trying to kid! who is going to believe this, ?

I recon I'm no taller than when I last raced, but my certer of gravity is lower, and I'm 3.5 stone heavier, your a doctor john do you recomend slimming tablets? perhaps you could suggest a know uk make. !! LOL ?

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 am

The first Bantam I had was purchased from another club member (no names to protect the guilty) It was quite light and I had no problems lifting it, loading it on the van without ramps etc. In my first season on it someone recognized it saying "Ah you've bout the Bandit" He then went on to explain that the original builder had removed the heavy frame tubing from the lugs and replaced them with lightweight tubing ! From that day on I was too embarrassed to accept any offers of help to move the bike in case the subject of it's weight came up. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 am

Peter do you still pay your entry fees in £ shillings & pence. On the subject of weight I lost 17 kilos (about 2 ½ stone for older readers) before my diagnosis then when they started the chemotherapy I put it all on again because it contains a lot of steroids.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 am

Derek you haven't made all your fairing brackets,rev counter mountings,foot rests,handlebars, brake levers and linkages out of cast iron have you?? Or over safe headstock plates?

My rear hub is 6 big holes lighter than before, my spokes 25% lighter (spokes were 9gauge) with lightweight nipples... Front disc is the 'same' as made of different material..
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:42 am

if i lose this one again???

mike fairing bracket very strong (heavey) you been peeping - like this as I got fed up with it breaking when falling off, so beefed it up by making it out of square section tubing 3mm thick

the rev counter bracket redundant, Im using digital kart, mind you need a new one for RR kart one is limited.

wait for it the front wheel is over 35 kg - twin leading shoe's (in lead) ? we need a disc as much lighter, will be on the new bike and for ed's bike, I'm not planning to change this as- want it to stay original looking as it did back in the day.

by sounds of things we also need new lighter front and rear spoke's and remove the crankcase packing rings, recon all this adds up to A STONE in weight ? but don't tell Ian as I recon we will then only need 6bhp more than him, to accellorate at the same rate as he does ! LOL, but "its an potential improvement" and should move me up the grid, spoke to allan today anything can be achieved, we just need to try.

Also top secret news, John came through with those tablets, not sure I believe him where he's suggested I have to put them, and its not in my tank !.

I was wondering if some other current racers that have routines before and at race meeting of checks they do to the bike.

I have read my notes and I always go to the loo just before a race so does Mike Breadhead as I passed him three times at Cadwell park" - on way to and from the loo" ?

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mike redhead

mike redhead

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: how heavy is your bantam   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Oi Derek,

Whats with the breadhead thing? LOL, I didnt think anybody had noticed my rather regular trips to the bathroom, think it must be this cheap chinese bladder they gave me!

Nice to see the forum buzzing at the moment.

Regards,

Mike Redhead.
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 4:12 am

Mike just spotted been spelling your name wrong do apologise,

I have a serious typographical issue, makes up for other inadequacies - anyway moving on, what you doing with that new 54x54 watercooled bike for 2011 ?. you had it on the dyno yet.

On your comment about trips to loo, makes me sound like "a peepping tom" well it seemed like every time i was entering or exiting the loo you were going in the opposit direction, at Cadwell, mine's down to my prostrate issue, not sure what you mean "chinese"

I have so say mike I have targeted you this year as a bench mark for inprovment, would put me back to where I was when I stopped, as at this time I always seemed to be chasing Mick the previouse owner. mind you you do appear to be quite quick at some meetings and slower others, this to do with the chinese too ?. lol

Alan been helping me with converting my shiney new old stock Mikuni carb to power jet set up, my intention is to start with this at the practice day, see how it goes, Ive also been on the dyno a few times with it, have you ? .

sadly seem's like we will never see mick in this class again, I mean its so bloody painful some times, yet so rewarding too, just no other class like it, and Ive tried a few.

Keep in touch -good to see you comment on the topics!,

regards Derek

Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 2:18 am

Going to have a weigh -in sometime soon see if i have got the bike weight down from 82kg?

I've got my body weight down from my Oct holiday/Christmas glut to 72kg but got to 'add' my heavyweight cow skin suit , ancient boots , thin but strong gloves and cost price Arai Helmet, oh and my foundation garmets to get a true pilot weight!! lol

Mike
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:02 am

72 kg thats close to 25 kg lighter than me ?, we need to talk ? ?

Another thing, " are you taking the piss out of me" ? on your clothing costs "whats the costs price bit about" you cold have told me, I have just shelled out for some new leathers and helmet" the reason is I need more protection, as I can still see it vividly in my mind what happened at Cadwell.

I remember watching almost in slow motion the marshall all runing in every direction three off them away from the post (you could see them panic just like you would watch clowns running at the circus) it appeared at first I was going to connect with the post, it was like a seen from well Im not usre but it was se'real ? unberleavably, I pulled the clutch in and took the brakes off (cool head see) to regain control of the front wheel that had instantly tucked under, i was then able to re apply the brakes stear to the leaft of the marshall post and run onto the grass (mind you I did this whiles smoking a sigar, scraching my nose and ordering a round of bears at the bar from my mobile for after the race), !!!

The next time I came past the same mashall post they clapped me, not sure why" I think its possible how releaved they were that I missed them. Anyway I had actually already decide to go back to the pits, as it was just too dangerouse with the throttle sticking open besides that pint was going flat, and hence me changing carbs and new more protective gear for next year.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:56 am

Taking the piss? now would I? No just saying if you hold an ACU leicence and email a copy to the Arai importer they sell you a helmet at cost price, so not retail,not trade, but cost I saved £110. While we are on helmets i think it is always best to buy a heavy helmet so that when cornering you can move your head(and helmet weight) to its best advantage...

Mike
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 am

no sorry mike dont agree on the helmet / head bit - MY dad always telling me to tuck my head down, besides if i need weight i could always stick my leg out ? Rossy/ stoner style !!!, besides i only have a little head, and its so important, unlike others who stick heads out, lilkey to get it knocked off /chopped. lol

kind regards Derek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 am

Weight over front wheel keeps the front end planted and makes the front tyre work harder making more grip and allowing you to go faster. Doing a Rossi (legs out all the time) on a bantam just loses speed with air drag/friction . (but dose take up lots of track space).

But as mike was saying phoenix distribution is the arai importer and they will supply you with any helmet any paint scheme for i believe to be trade -VAT if you email or send them a copy of ACU license.
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 am

I use every part of my body I can !

Moving my big head helps counter steering and moving the centre of mass into the tight corners maintaining a neat Hailwood/Molloy traditional riding style and sticking out legs, arms makes good airbrakes on unfaired clubmans bike after long back straights. Therefore later out braking heavy four strokes doing the Salsa dancing with the knees out. Although I corner slower, on the gas with lighter bike earlier they only get to smell the Rock S2 !

Talking of big heads, I have just bought an XL Arai RX7 GP in my favorite Racing Red from USA for $600
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:46 am

iscutt wrote:
Weight over front wheel keeps the front end planted and makes the front tyre work harder making more grip and allowing you to go faster.

Me too but not for the same reason. I didn't mind the back end moving about but the thought of the front tyre letting go frightened the crap out of me. pale
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 6:07 am

Lastest in weight saving front wheels - The following pic's show the 'lightweight wheels I will be using this coming season. 18" WM1 36 hole Akront/Hagon with small diameter Suzuki hub (with 12mm spindle), plated steel spokes (10gau) and plated steel nipples running a Dunlop KR825.

Everything is the smallest/lightest capable of coping with the stresses and strains of racing. Basically I haven't picked the biggest/heaviest parts available? I think you have to think 'Light' before starting on a project!?

How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 002

How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 004

Mike
Back to top Go down
bennion

bennion

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2006-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 6:30 am

Ah so ! Sleecret 's out - velly cleen leel and lasking tape. No muckee on mikee leelee ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 am

hi mike great shots very lean?

Derek
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Attention Mr Smith   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 3:29 am

Hi Ted,

I stoppped using shillings in February 1971, so the answer is NO (bloody cheek)...

The weight of my Bantam with gearbox oil , but no fuel, is 186 lbs.

Hope you are getting on OK and not feeling too awful.

All the best

Pete

PS If you havent already done so, download BRC Magazine 239. Took me right back. Much mention of the Eastern Centre......
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:46 am

Hi was at mallory at weekend and they had some scales for weighing bikes which I had my bike weighed with fuel on board it came out at 79kg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:36 am

what about rider weight? could help Derek out with his maths.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 6:16 am

From previous posts bike weight scores on the doors are:-

1. Ray Davis 79kg

1. Robbie Brown 79kg

3. Mike Powell 82kg

4. Pete Tibbits 84kg

5. James Cook 90kg

6. John Sendall 93kg

7. Derek Betts 97kg

Anyone else.....?

Last edited by mjpowell on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Andy C

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 am

So how many horses do i need at 66kgs then
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How heavy is your Bantam?   How heavy is your Bantam? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How heavy is your Bantam?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next