BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering dampers-why not?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Steering dampers-why not? Empty
PostSubject: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 am

Hello all,

Been looking around sites and stuff and was wondering, with all the pretty quick, championship winner bikes, that none use a steering damper!? Is there a reason for this? Is it because the bike goes to slow or the forks are heavy/strong enough to take the forces coming out of a turn? Well...maybe not heavy! Laughing

I've seen on other classic bikes of the same CC that they use steering dampers and that I might put one on mine. Please can someone shed some light on this question.

Tim
Back to top Go down
afm160

afm160

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 am

Hi Tim if the frame and suspension work right you dont need one it slows steering down in and out of corners especially if an opponent winds it onto full while you are looking other way in pit lane. plus adds extra weight which you do not need.
Andy
Back to top Go down
http://www.afmoulden.co.uk
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 am

Cheers Andy,

Was unsure about this. And even thought if it made a difference to the bike. So now I will not use one! Smile

Cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Steering Dampers   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Definitely needed on SOME bikes Tim.
I rode a 250 -- in anger -- which had a steering damper and still had tremendous wobbles on braking. That is the point -- consider 4 to 500 lbs of bike plus say 180 t0 200lbs of rider (leathers & crash hat etc...) .. then say, you have 700lbs decelerating at nearly `g´ which becomes the force trying to wrap that lot around your bike´s steering head -- during braking -- which is in several tons to make the front end extremely frisky.
Fun though! Especially when dicing close ...
Both my Bantams had brakes that were virtually non-existent -- still fun to ride -- but definitely no steering damper.
All the best,
JayBee..
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Sport-Pics

Sport-Pics

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Think of a shopping trolley, then you see why you need one!
(as explained to me by my engineering friend Ted)

Rusty
Back to top Go down
http://www.sport-pics.co.uk
Sport-Pics

Sport-Pics

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:53 pm

A bit off topic, but I have seen that you have been on the CRMC website asking about Bantam tanks.

If someone could point Tim in the way of Jimmy Gelcoat (Steve Rowbotham) I am sure he could help him.

Rusty
Back to top Go down
http://www.sport-pics.co.uk
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi Russel,

I've managed to get through to Spike Livingstone, owner of Ragged Edge Racing, and I'm going to use one of his CB200 tanks. I've contacted Spike and I just need to give him the dimensions of the frame rails for the moulds. I'm going to contact Steve/Jimmy(?) for the seat and fairing. Looking for one like Mike Powell's with a wide front end because of my wide shoulders and nearly being 6' 3".

Does anyone have his number or should I contact him next time I go to a meeting?

Cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi John,

Ha, I've only ridden an Aprilia down our lane with a steering damper. Made a hell lot of difference! Though when you brake it feels as if it's going to tip over on the front end like you said.

Tim
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Tim, which aprilia have you ridden???
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 6:40 am

The Superteen ones. One of my friends father has one, bit old for it I know. Just had it stripped etc, ready to race. Wasn't much really.
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 am

ahh sweet Very Happy My mate adam raced in that. good little bikes :p
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:32 am

Is that Adam Shelton or Adam Robinson? Smile Yes, they're pretty nice bikes. Most get around 38BHP at back wheel!
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:21 pm

that be Mr Shelton Wink
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Ahh a fine rider. Didn't he come 3rd in 2008 season?
Back to top Go down
zak_perrin

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:31 pm

yeah, got disqualified from the last round because he reached 18 or summin lol. He's racing in the T3 series this year Smile
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Yes he did I think. Shame that being disqualified when you're nearly at the top of the championship. pale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering dampers-why not?   Steering dampers-why not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering dampers-why not?
Page 1 of 1