BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Taper head race D14 / B175

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
andy m

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-01

Taper head race D14 / B175 Empty
PostSubject: Taper head race D14 / B175   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:24 am

Is there a taper roller set that can be dropped straight in to a std head stock without machining the frame?? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Taper head race D14 / B175   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Andy,

I've also been looking around for this question, I'm guessing we both have the same frames, lol. I saw some from a firm somewhere near me, but they've now gone bankrupt and moved to France, I think. I'm not the best with information like this but that's the best I know so far.

I'm also looking for the same taper rollers as you, Andy.

T
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Tim & Andy --   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 6:06 am

All the knowledgeable ones are off racing this weekend, Tim & Andy -- try again on Tuesday...
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
andy m

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Taper head race D14 / B175   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 7:13 am

Thanks, should have said, I am building a Bantam trials not racer, cheers
Back to top Go down
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Taper Roller bearings   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 8:09 am

Andy, the simple current answer is there isn't an imperial bearing off the shelf that will fit straight in.
SRM do a kit for the larger BSAs, they used to have a smaller one for C15s, but they told me it wasn't economical to get them made for the numbers selling.

As JB said MP and the guys should have an answer.

My twopenorth:
Years ago whilst in UK and chatting to Tom Miller he indicated they were using a 32005JRRS, which is 47 x 25 x 15. So if you have Jap steering stem it will fit that. If you measure the ID of the Bantam steering head it is 1.875" or 47.6mm.
The next size up has 52mm OD, bigger rollers, so not enough meat in outer ring to grind down.
I put a strip of shim steel around the outers in my trials bike, but it didn't last long before the shim was squeezed out and the bearings loose; great in the middle of a steep downhill nadgery section !
After I crashed my shortstroke racer, the frame and head needed some repairs. My talented engineer at the time, made a big heavy two piece external "Blacksmithing" tool to swage the head into 47mm ID and brazed strengthening rings on the outside. So with Suzuki and now Bultaco stem it was a good fit.
Recently, I asked him to do the same for another frame. He devised a quicker and repeatable solution. Skimmed the inside of frame head to reference cylindrically ground mandrel and made inserts to fit, boring them to tight push fit on bearing 47mm OD.

Good luck with your bike, let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Loose Steering Head bearings...   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:57 pm

On both my Bantams I stayed with the standard Bantam bearings and had no bother whilst racing. Seems a good idea to go for tapered rollers though -- I had an old road-going-hack, a 500cc BSA, iron cylinder and heavy frame which developed a loose head bearing which meant it was agony to ride. More importanmt -- I would have thought -- is getting rake & trail and weight distribution right.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: PS ....   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:09 pm

PS-- I´ve got a picture (I´d like to send to you lads) of Bill Lomas on the Eric Walsh Bantam where only the plunger suspension, & rear wheel, of the Walsh Bantam can be seen because the Bantam is wearing a full covering skirt. Bill was competing in Australia with the Works Guzzi and let Eric have the Guzzi `Dustbin´fairing from which Eric made a replica for the Bantam. Eraly Fifties time , I´d guess...
Difficulty is I have a miss-&-hit problem on my PC with sending pics -- sometimes they don´t go at all and sometimes the wrong pics get sent.
I wondered if a bit of advice can be given -- please!
Other than that aren´t there pictures of the Walsh Bantam in your area John?
Cheers!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Taper head race D14 / B175   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi John,

What program are you using to put your pictures up, Photobucket is quite a good one to use.

Regards

Eddie
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Sending Pics...   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:36 am

Thanks Eddie -- never heard of that -- of course, this PC -- being it fell off a German lorry has things in Kraut which most of the time I do understand but when I am on this site I cannot find a box about sending pictures...
Like Robert The Bruce I´ll keep trying...
Cheers & thanks again,
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taper head race D14 / B175   Taper head race D14 / B175 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taper head race D14 / B175
Page 1 of 1