BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why Bantam Racing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Why Bantam Racing Empty
PostSubject: Why Bantam Racing   Why Bantam Racing Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 6:01 am

Hi All,

i know us new learners have been asked why what made us want to do bantam racing, be nice to know how and why others started.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Why Bantam Racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Bantam Racing   Why Bantam Racing Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 10:35 am

Good question Edward, speaking as an old timer Sad I actually, in my formative years, wanted to race cars and emulate my boyhood hero, Jim Clark but money wise it was a non starter. I was lucky??? enough to be dating Kieth Webb's sister in 72 and a Xmas meet in a pub with Kieth got me well and truly on the two wheeled track. Money wise it suited my pocket and Webby was a Bantam racer of some reknown so it made sense to go with the class. It was a great move as it taught me the ropes, especially having to ride the corners to make up for the straight line deficit and led to success in other classes, especially 250 Production, open 250 and Formula 1 Cool A great move and all started over a pint in a pub. drunken
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Why Bantam Racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Bantam Racing   Why Bantam Racing Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 10:00 pm

I started with a bantam because my brother Rick started to race a bantam in 1980 and then when i was old enough (16) i started too. Its a longer story than that though - my dad had a pre-war Triumph Tiger 90 then in 72 a Norton 16h, so thats why 'British'. Then Rick and i had an Ambassador 150, then a D3 then a D7 etc etc (and by 81 had 16 bikes in the garage) 1 being ear-marked for a bantam racer project....

Micks right with learning to ride corners quick on a bantam.... when you have little power you have to make the most of it!!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

Why Bantam Racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Bantam Racing   Why Bantam Racing Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 6:36 am

I wanted to race because my dad did, i used his bike for grass tracking on the now M6 motor way foundations, from a young age, he never new, we had to clean it off before he came home from work, he would have hit the roof if he had known, it was running points ignition so the main problem was charging the battery before we would charge it for an hr after coming home from school. the first time i rode it proper, we took it to long Marston where I hit a pot hole in the old runway, dad expected me to drop it he said the bike jumped off the ground 3ft, - I was actually hooked, from the age of about 10, dad went to cadwell park, he was always moaning, based on my age this would have been 1969/1970 cadwell park, anyway I went off and sent the day with this guy who was never out of the top 3/4 but I can not remember his full name but, he called himself Ernie OR ERNIE BARR?. He was very tolerant, a nice guy.

then in 1977 we went to Cadwell Park to check out the competition, I raced later that year for the first time, at Cadwell, i always believed it was 23rd may, my birthday, i always believed I raced on my birthday but there are no programmes from that year with the same date so I may have this wrong.

I remember - Brian Rodgers was doing all the winning that day, he was bragging in the pits he could follow peter and would wait for the last lap before passing,Peter styles to win, Brian rogers was riding i think the ex Tony jones Bantam, he said it was built by George Harris. Brian ing and Martin Baldwin were swopping the lead in the interclass. it was also the frist time we meet steve hall, who was riding a white faired air cooled shortstroke.

I have many memories, - I remember having a great start at cadwell having just built my new exhaust that made such a difference, the meeting before we were talking to tom miller who suggested we should open the exhaust port up to 96 degree's we were using the dAVE HUNTER TIMINGS BUT COULD NEVER GET IT TO REV ABOVE 8,000. at the next meeting I finishing 6th, the bike only reved to 8,900.0 but boy did it come off the start, we went to louth afterwards endd up at the same pub as the South Eastern Centre, I remember being congratulated by an intoxicated PT in the bar, the next day I was chasing Mark Carkeek into cadwell hairpin, and lost the front, I went down hard, way before the corner, a strange one, dad said i must have hit a stone while breaking, the bike continued on to the corner without me and took Mark out while he was rounding the air-pin, he was none too pleased. I also remember a few years later Steve chambers winning his first (novice race) again at cadwell, I had stopped infield and remember chatting to his Dad who was marshalling at the time, while he was jumping up and down saying "that my son".

Anyway, I have things to do so must get on - we ran the bike again today, and oil keeps leaking from the clutch cover screw heads, ? i need to check this, not sure why, needs sorting for the practice day.

cheers Derek

Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Why Bantam Racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Bantam Racing   Why Bantam Racing Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 6:45 am

Hi Derek,

Great post, always a good story from yourself. Hope you get the bike sorted for practice.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Why Bantam Racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Bantam Racing   Why Bantam Racing Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Mike And Mick,

Forgot to say thank you for your posts, always nice to have a little background in how other people got started.

Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why Bantam Racing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Bantam Racing   Why Bantam Racing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Bantam Racing
Page 1 of 1