BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GT Alloy Top End Down Under

Go down 
AuthorMessage
johnSbantam

johnSbantam

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2006-12-01

GT Alloy Top End Down Under Empty
PostSubject: GT Alloy Top End Down Under   GT Alloy Top End Down Under Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 9:57 am

Sorry, if I have mislead anyone, I wasn't suggesting that the Amos-Todd bike was in Australia.
I will re post my previous comment:

Subject: George Todd connections Downunder Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 pm
Over the years I have met, talked to a lot of old Bantam racers. All great blokes, who have shared stories and information.
A frequent visitor to our big Pukekohe Classic Festival from Aus, Peter Scott, now renown Rudge racer shared with me the story of his Todd Bantam.
He gave me a photocopy of the letter from GT to the original owner, one .....(lost off the top of copy) Lloyd. It would appear it was the last alloy 175 top end George made before he "left the old country"

"like this but with side angle exhaust not straight out as shown here (what super motor that was - 118mph on the straight ! and averaged 86mph around Snetterton ! I reckon yours could do the same with similar exhaust timing (about 3mm more height !)(and around 1.5mm trans.) GeorgeT.

Similar to yours Trevor ? Ken is try to sort an old Todd 175 alloy barrel I found many years ago, was given a picture with it of a head with horizantal first fin like B175. He has found big ~ 6mm gap above piston top at BTDC, so I am wondering if this was made for shorter 118mm Bultaco rod too ?
Peter Scott said his motor was very torquey, fast and ripped up standard clutchs, he fitted a Suzuki A100 one.
So Peters barrel did not have the straight out exhaust port, like Trevors
Sold it on and lost track of the bike.
. Cousies in NSW have not been able to track it down.
Can copy more details if anyone is interested

Last year I met Howard White who worked for GT and bought his business. His brother Roy emigrated to NZ and built a cast iron barrelled 175 Bantam racer with help from Howard in the early days of Classic racing here. This bike was campaigned successfully for many years by three members of the White family then sold on to my mate Les Harris. It still has an original "Todd White Bantam" sticker on the back of the seat. Roy made some GT heads from an original pattern, which he swapped me for a Villiers motor. It has thinner more tapered fins than the Fahron looking ones. But sadly wont work/come out of casting sand, so it must have distorted.
Back to top Go down

GT Alloy Top End Down Under
Page 1 of 1