BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

[b]Primary Chains.[/b]

Go down 
+3
SteveF
slackbladder
lou
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lou

lou

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-12-01

[b]Primary Chains.[/b] Empty
PostSubject: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Guys,
Who wants some primary chains. Have noted that Mike wants 2, Alan wants 3. Can you let me know by the end of the week how many chains you want. Will bring to the presentation evening on the 2nd Feb.

Lou
Back to top Go down
slackbladder

slackbladder

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-12-13

PostSubject: Hi lou   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:11 am

HI THERE ITS CARL,
CAN YOU ASK ROBBIE FOR 3 PRIMARY CHAINS FOR ME,
MANY THANKS LOU'
WELL DONE ON BIKE TEST,
CARL,
WILL NOT BE AT DINNER DANCE,WILL SEND MONEY TO YOU OR ROBBIE,
IS THAT OK?
Smile
Back to top Go down
lou

lou

PostSubject: Re: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 4:05 am

Hi Carl,
Will put 3 by for you. Sort out payment at practice day or 1st meeting.
Lou
Back to top Go down
SteveF

SteveF

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Re: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 am

Hi Lou

Put me down for 3 Off. I will collect them at the first meeting ifs that OK

Cheers

Steve
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Primary chain order   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi Lou,

Please can you bring 4 (for myself and Aidan) to the first race meeting, thanks.
Back to top Go down
lou

lou

PostSubject: Re: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 2:00 am

Hi Steve, Peter,

Yes thats fine no problems.

Lou
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Why so many primary chains?   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 2:44 am

Hi Pee (ter)!
Sorry to but in...
The need for P chains -- how often do you change the P chain in a season?
Sorry if I have been a bit fatuous of late but a week ago I got a nicely presented letter from a Mail Order company (Irmgard uses) concerning "... my great need for insurance...". The b......s found out my age and now try to sell me funeral-and-burial insurance.
To the serious business of Mike Powell´s front wheel and Ned mentioning unsprung mass. For the same given-tyre-section the 16.5in is the best -- so Slick said...
Snag number one is that we may not be using the same given-tyre- section when using the larger or smaller wheel for our comparison.
Slick says 16.5 is the optimum from his WSB experience and his own race bike prep.... Certainly a lot of GP & WSB experimentation was carried out during the last 25 years with wheels of varying sizes between 16min to 18in max when Slick was well into the WSB scene... ***
Using that criteria of, `same given tyre and rim section´ the gyroscopic forces are proportional to road speed and square of the wheel diameter which means the bigger the wheel the sooner the balancing effect comes in over the speed range (comes in at lower speed, that is...). Peter? Didn´t you say that? another way?
Yet there´s a lot contention about whether the gyro effects help or hinder in the manner of fast cornering... The argument is that a purposeful twitch from the rider can have the gyro-precession-force apply a leaning force which assists the rider... Some claim we do it automatically without realising we are... However, the twitch can be a painful experiment...!
Snag number two is where we get to the tricky bit: inertia, unsprung weight, gyro precession and gravitational effects combine together with how much the rider leans into the curve (leaning inwards), away from off the bike´s centre line -- that is.
The centre of gravity of the parts forward of the steering head axis line is usually ahead of the forks, by a small amount, at somewhere below and near the rim. Increase of the height of this CofG point increases the `levering´ moments (torques) of the centrifugal and gravitational (weight) forces which will be in balance when the rider´s CofG is in the same plane as the bike.
This suggests the smallest possible wheel to be the ideal but other factors limit that degree of smallness. For road race machines, 16in seems to be the practical minimum. !6.5 so Slick said in terms of optimum contact patch (the bigger and fatter the wheel -- the longer and wider the contact patch, of course) along with the effects of road surface imperfections -- and 18in the max...
Leaning more inwards -- from off the bike´s centre line -- changes the CofG of total mass (Bike-&-Rider) to increase the gravitational moment which has to be balanced by the centrifugal moment ... *** so with rider stature differences (WSB riders in particular) are we not -- again -- making our comparisons almost useless?
For example: comparing your height & weight with Mike Powell (human comparisons are odious, a great writer once said -- sorry but...) -- might your lean-in moment be more than Mike´s at the same bike angle of lean? Saying that and looking at Casey Stoner´s size & weight has me wondering whether any of the accepted data is worth the bother: along with all the other contributing factors of steering and total bike geometry -- that effect handling -- the parameters seem to need more tailoring to the individual rider than the acceptance of others´ empirical data.
Seems to come down to a `suck it & see´ philosophy after doing a bit of research into what the GP & WSB racing teams have been up to just lately ...
Aye!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 3:44 am

Hi Robbie/Lou,
Can you take my chains to the practice day as I am unable to make the Dinner and dance this year Ta muchly!

JB.
Robbies chains are amazingly reliable, but the modern bikes stretch them a surprising amount. To avoid the terrible mess if one breaks, I change mine half way through the season, to date I have never broken one, but the old one is seriously stretched.
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 am

Hi Lou are you Rob's PA now then ? Can I have my chains standard length not the extra long variant supplied last year! I'll be at the dinner... Mike
Back to top Go down
lou

lou

PostSubject: Re: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Alan,

Can take to practice day no problem.

Hi Mike,

I will make sort your chains are the standard length. As for being Rob PA, well if i dont sort it out, Rob leaves it to the last minute. See u at dinner

Lou
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Still on about PCs...   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:57 am

Hi Alan!
Right! Would make a mess if PC broke. Trying to picture the inside of a Bantam chaincase... No means of adjustment and not a tensioner like the Enfield Bullet had? The latter was horrible: wore itself and chains out rapid like.
I can´t make the D&D either. Might make it to the IoM and upset Slick though. He´s still raving about some idea he wants to patent.
Nothing to do with this - you reckoned a coated liner worked OK and some experts reckon the reliability suffers because the heat dissipation is poor. There was an American car maker doing something similar in the 80´s -- forget who now and exactly how they did it...
Do you have a reply to that -- which is printable here, I mean?
Hope I haven´t been hogging valuable message space too much lately but there´s been some interesting bits appearing...
Have a good season,
Aye! JayBee.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Angle of lean   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 am

Bassy has jumped threads so I'll reply in here.

re <<might your lean-in moment be more than Mike´s at the same bike angle of lean? >>

As far as I can work out - very rusty on this stuff these days - if the angle of lean is the same between 2 riders , one heavier than the other, then R (radius of corner) has to change, or W2 (agular velocity squared) has to change. i.e. if rider is heavier, then needs to go faster on the same radius as the lighter rider, or widen the line, to keep same angle of lean.

I think its wrong to start bringing in moments, its all a matter of resolving the forces in a force diagram.

But thanks John, I've just worked out why I am at a disadvantage!!

Primary Chains - I broke one at the end of the new Norwich (now called Revetts) staright at Snetterton. Front of the chaincase shot forward , followed by the chain, and the oil. I stayed on, but was not popular with the Marshals!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [b]Primary Chains.[/b]   [b]Primary Chains.[/b] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[b]Primary Chains.[/b]
Page 1 of 1