BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wacky 50

Go down 
+8
John Colter
les2012
Jimmie
nigel breeze
Mick Potter
Ned
john bass
Trevor Amos
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 6:23 am

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Mauser-Einspurauto-729x486-4cf248fbfef7893c_zpsayqtioa0

This is the Mauser Einspur in question John, odd bit of kit, tandem layout with a minimal car style body with the retractable stabilisers on show. I think it has a single cylinder engine of some 550cc or so. No more details than that, about 1921-5 ish? Beautiful restoration carried out on this example, very strange set up though?

Hope you can find out a bit more information for us over here

Regards, Trevor
Back to top Go down
bkirkwood

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 am

Trevor what's with the front disc brake?
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 10:33 am

Well spotted Bill, I certainly hadn`t, I had a look at all of the other images of the thing on the net but none even had a front brake! So this is clearly a non standard modern addition, perhaps to allow it on today`s public roads, or maybe the owner`s safety preference. Don`t know, but now you have highlighted the modern disc brake it sticks out like a sore thumb, how did I not see it? My wife recons it all fell victim of yet another senior moment on my part!

Cheers, Trevor
Back to top Go down
John Colter

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2014-10-23

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Turn indicators, too. Suggests that the intention is to use it on the roads. I applaud the decision, but can't say I'd be keen to occupy the pillion seat - or the driver's seat! I always rather fancied the Ner-A-Car, myself.
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Mauser_Einspur_Monotrace_1922-28_01_zpsn92rst9q

This different machine has no front brake, and has indicator arms (remember those damned unpredictable things?) on the side of the body, not sure if the extra front lights are original, a period option or modern addition?

Just like me to pick the one least representative example of all of those on the web! Best get to the local spa for a rest cure and recovery!

Cheers, Trevor
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Wacky 50s   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 am

Hi Trevor!

Try "Mauser Einspurato La Monotrace from 1928"

There´s a load of replicas alongside what could be the original from 1928....

Weird -- notjust Wacky....

Cheeers!

John-....
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Jimmie

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Not wacky 50s, more wacky V twin builders

http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/vtwininnovators2.html
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 3:38 am

Crikey Jimmie, there are some serious engines and guys amongst that lot, fantastic engineering and dedication to see a project like that through. It took me nearly 3 years on and off to make my w/c Bantam engine, so a project like those would take a lifetime, a fantastic montage of vee-twin engines. Never tire of seeing Bert Monroe, what an inspiration that man is, even today!
To compliment all of those machines I tried to upload a similar British effort with two pots sliced from RR Merlin engine, but for some reason it kept failing. Maybe if you Google the Merlin engine bike you may have better luck than me.

Thanks, Trevor
Back to top Go down
Jimmie

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks Trevor, got it. Think my wee legs would be a little short to ride it!  The story of a self build 1906ish single cylinder bike (engine,frame, wheels etc) makes interesting reading  at

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,8107.0.html

especially what the lad accomplished in less than two months. Would take that length of time to find and get my boiler suit on.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 am

Jim,
I`m not sure I have a deep enough font of superlatives that will adequately praise that incredible achievement, a tour de force by any comparable standard. And to think he built a complete machine, wheels and every thing; I am in total awe, makes my best efforts seem, embarrassingly inadequate!

Thanks for that Jim, Trevor
Back to top Go down
Jimmie

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Another of the 'oh, I just knocked it together from some off cuts I had lying about' theme. And a fifty to boot!

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12576&sid=f5b092e14c7347077bd4ee19a7ccb637
Back to top Go down
bkirkwood

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: wacky 50s   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for that link Jimmie Bill
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Even the skinny blokes...   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 5:53 am

Even the SKINNY blokes look chubby on those 50s.....

Got big bones and a liking for beer -- could have  been my  problem with the Bantam...

The real Big problem was my job at that time. Trying to persuade Leyland to take Simms pumps and injectors meant a lot of entertaining ...

I really  dieted. Drank gin & tonic (I hate gin but the Expert said you´ll lose weight if you go on gin) instead of beer  --   trying to get down below ´12.o stone for Icarus-1's sake...  I went from 15.5 stone  down to 12.3 (in my alltogether) in 3 months but if Icarus-1  didn´t start first bump,  I was too Ausgepufft (my Deutsch for 'exhausted') and had to have a pusher. It was only 3 extra  pounds body weight that made all the difference from a being pitiful weakling to a muscle-bound  macho...

Didn´t matter really -- I had great fun racing with the Intermediates and riding with the Seniors -- and it did lead to the privilege of  RACING Andy Boyle's 250 .....

By the way, Andy has added ´the Centurion Twin -- DKM*** -- to the RE-5  250 -- that use Alpha "Works" replica engines that  he has made from scratch for his  stable for this year.

Probaly liucky - I think I could have done myself some harm dieting like that. So watch it, you chubbies getting into this season, don´t follow my example and do  go and see a doctor before dieting..

***Derek K. Mathews in the Midlands made the first Centurion for which Alpha donated the engine. In the 50s -- I think?

It is wonderful to think that such is being done backgarden sheds and as Andy,  in his car garage machining the crankcase castings for which he made the moulds for the casting.... .  

Cheers!

JayBee....
Back to top Go down
John Colter

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi, John B.

I was interested to read your comments about the Alpha 'Centuri' (not Centurion) 250cc twin racer. The engine was built and developed by Alpha Bearings of Netherton, Dudley, in the West Midlands in the early to mid 1960s. The engine was intended for racing use, and there was a connection to the DMW motorcycle factory, in that the earlier single cylinder engine was tested in a road bike which used a DMW frame. DMW was a small manufacturer based at Sedgley, also in the West Midlands. DMW stands for Dawson Motors (or perhaps Motorcycles) Wolverhampton, the company founder was one W L (Smokey) Dawson.

I used to race a DMW 'Hornet' which used a Villiers engine. There was always a problem with people confusing the company name with that of BMW and DKW. I've never heard of a Derek K Mathews in connection with the 'Centuri' engine, nor use of the initials DKM, but would like to learn more about his role in this project.

I am delighted that somebody is working so hard to make a replica of the Alpha racer, with the (then, very promising) 'Centuri' engine. I hope it comes to fruition, and that I might one day see it in action.

Last edited by John Colter on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bkirkwood

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: wacky 50s   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Hi John
The late John Kirkby rode a Alpha Centuri and at the Cadwell 80th anniversary meeting John's brother had this bike on show also Fred Launchbury rode a DMW Alpha in the 67 and 68 TTs the bike belonged to DMW and Harold and Betty Nock used to bring the bike down to Fred's shop just before the TT unfortunately Fred failed to finish on both occasions. And there was the Hadley Star that was a 125 basically half a Alpha Centuri. Bill
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 am

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Alpha%20crank%20induction%20engine_zps2ugjuucd

Here is a period photo I took, perhaps 1963, of the Alpha 250 single, case induction engine in a DMW frame, sorry but I have no other details but I recall it did go quite well in the 250 races when up against other British singles of the time.
Back in the day, Fred Hadley was a prominent 175 Bantam tuner, I still have an article of his on pepping up the big Bantam engine!
Where do all those years go, and even sadder, so many of those personalities are no longer with us.

Cheers, Trevor
Back to top Go down
John Colter

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 am

Thanks for that, Bill. It brought back good memories for me. John Kirkby was a friend of mine, and someone I liked and respected very much. I worked at DMWs in Sedgley for three months in 1966, but didn't see anything of the Alpha engined bikes.

ps. That is certainly an Alpha engined DMW 'Hornet' pictured above. My 'Hornet' was a production model, with a Villiers 'Starmaker' engine, bought in early 1965 from Bill Smith's of Chester. I had a lot of trouble with piston failure (broken rings) and barely adequate electrics, but it was a decent thing to ride, and quick enough in its day.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Thank You All...   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 5:46 am

Thank You All ....

Hiccup -- hiccup. Made lots of ´false statements , dinn'n  I -- Centuri it is and I got the DMW wrong as well. Oh, Thicky me. So humbly sorry all... . I didn´t realise when Andy Boyle offered me his  250 ABS to help develope in 1972 and to race  that it had such  famour attachments. He said it had an Alpha Works  engine and  that went in one ear -- through the Thicky bit -- and out the other side. Here was the chance to really road race... I think Andy´s Dad had worked at Alpha -- or had other connections with the firm -- because it was a definitely a Works engine ... It was called Alpha Boyle Special and I was so thick I often referred to it as Andy Boyle Speciall.. Ga ga ga... dribble.

I mean I had seen so many Bitzas on the grass the words were overshadowed by Andy making the offer with Wobbleyman  (Colin Aldridge) trying tell Andy he'd  got the wrong bloke.  The first season was also a series of hiccups because it had a cork clutch which slipped at speed and dragged at the start so that run-&-bump was a disaster. I'd be half a lap behind at the start of the Alpha...  The Drag whilst running would have the piston at TDC and no flame up at the bump.Then in 1973 Andy fitted a Greeves Griffon clutch which meant a really free motor and clutch in and away we´d go like a robbers dog on heat.  I was frequently up among the first four many times with plenty Japenese 250s either side.

Cheers!

Da Da da.....

Wonderful memories of fantastic races -- particulaly dices with Greeves Silverstones. It was the one great thing I missed in going to Canada -- giving up the Bantam Chairmanship and racing just for a jump in status and lots more lovely money...

Cheers with apologies for getting the names wrong.

Da da da da...must go and count my pension again ...!!    ....

I posted pics of me on Andy's RE 5 on here sometime ago and apic of the Centuri ...
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 5:59 am

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Alphax2_zpsrumkojj6

Photo that gives a flavour of the internals of the Alpha 250 single, That piston looks very fragile, and very long! Interesting rear transfer port, like the MZ and the later Ossa 250 single.

Cheers Trevor
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Fascinating ........   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 6:25 am

Fascinating, Trevor. Thank-you.

The two-stroke piston has to be long -- compared with the 4-stroke - dunnit?

.The flywheels look a bit complicated ... ??

I take it the carb sits on the crankcase ?

Cheers!

John-Boy
Back to top Go down
John Colter

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 am

There was a very nicely produced replica, or re-creation, or whatever, of the Alpha 'Centuri' twin at the BHR practice day at Mallory Park today. I've asked the inestimable Ed Pickering to post a photo wot I have took.
Back to top Go down
bkirkwood

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: wacky 50s   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 7:14 am

I saw that too John was going to take a picture but my phones rubbish sorry i missed you. Bill
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 pm

The Inestimable Ed.

I like that John, and may I say, a very accurate characterisation of him. I`ve lost track of the stuff he has patiently posted up for me over the years and he very well deserves every accolade offered to him. One of the quiet people behind Bantam racing.

Thanks Ed, warm regards Trevor
Back to top Go down
Edward Pickering

Edward Pickering

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Courtesy Of John Colter.

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Alpha%20Centuri%20at%20Mallory%20Park%20Historic%20Racing%20practice%202017_zpsr4dxqt2t
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2017 2:15 am

John, what a lovely, crisp photo, thanks for that and of course to the ever helpful and reliable Ed!
It kind of saddens me to look at these valiant efforts by British companies and individuals who invoke the George Harris clarion call that `Britain isn`t dead yet` the Bindys! Sadly it was all for nought and this engine was always limited by the choice of inlet system, one carb for two cylinder was a severe handicap. But isn`t it a smart, elegant machine, look nice in my lounge!

Trevor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wacky 50 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wacky 50   Wacky 50 - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wacky 50
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BSA Bantam Racing :: Your first category :: Bantam Racing Forum-
Jump to: