BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starter Rollers

Go down 
+2
dansofield550
les2012
6 posters
AuthorMessage
les2012

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Starter Rollers   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 2:55 am

Hi All,
Can anyone in the BRC suggest a good but reasonably priced paddock starter rollers for me?. I'm well passed the pushing stage for JS2.

Les 2012
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter Rollers   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 pm

trouble is les , reasonable price and starting rollers are rarely mentioned in the same sentence!
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: What about building your own....   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 4:05 am

Do Breaker´s Yards still exist?

If so a 2nd hand car starter oughtn´t to cost more than one arm or half a leg.... Check out a pukkha roller-starter´s power and speed and take it from there. I am speaking of course how things were 40 yearsa ago when I had my own welding gear and could use Walthamstow Tech´s apprentice machine shop at will. Big Colchester lathe and all the other lovely M/C Shop machines.

Tell me to shut-up and boil my head if you feel like it....

Cheers!
JayBee...
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
john bass

john bass

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: What about modifying ...   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 5:49 am

What about modifying a motorised lawn mower -- no battery needed. Saw one on the web-site of a Vintage race meeting where the bloke´s girl friend started the mower engine with rip-cord recoil starter but it could be done where the roller frame is also the bike stand. The bike in neutral during mower engine starting .....

Hmmm -- better shut up and drink my horlicks...

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
chrisgladman

chrisgladman

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-07-03

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter Rollers   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 7:28 am

I saw a set of rollers that you sat your van/car on. I'm pretty sure an engineer of your calybra could knock a set up Les me old mate !!
Luv Chris Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
bkirkwood

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter Rollers   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 9:00 am

Hi Les
When I was parading a 500 Seeley Suzuki that was a pig too start I knocked up some rollers out of some industrial conveyor just drop your car wheel on one side bike wheel on the other side worked well don't need it anymore its cost me nothing if you want it FOC just let me know.
Bill
Back to top Go down
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter Rollers   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 5:50 am

Starter Rollers Roller10 i knocked this up a few years back from a conveyor roller cut in half and used push bike gears and chain to link together the starter motor and rollers. got a foot paddle which operates solenoid to get it moving. its ok, not very pretty but functional. i prefer to start with a battery drill when possible but my 125 cagiva bants comp is too high for drill so its become useful again . lol!
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
john bass

john bass

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Hand starting....   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 4:17 am

Looks good to me Nigel....!!

I saw Alan Brown (I think?) start a Bantam, at Cadwell on the stand by pulling up by hand on the tyre of the rear wheel. We used to do this with speedway bikes of 500 cc capacity but, of course being on pure dope they started -- cold -- much easier than a cold Bantam on petrol....

I detested that run-&-bump start we oldies had to suffer (with both Icarus-1 and Andy´s 250 ABS). If it didn´t start first bum-bump it meant stopping, pullingt back on compression and doing the whole thing again while half the field vanished into the blue -- probably half a lap ahead....

Whoops! Sickening nostalgia again -- sorry!

Cheers1

JayBee.
Back to top Go down
les2012

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Starter Rollers   Starter Rollers Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 am

Thanks for the replies, I thought I'd let you know I had a quote £695+£30pp and no battery (ouch). Unfortunately I no longer have access to machinery therefore I would have to rely on others.
Thanks for the offer Bill, I remember seeing George Brown start Super Nero with a van roller but I was thinking of something smaller and compact as it is for home use. I have started by spinning the back wheel now I have to wait for my son to call in. The lawn mower idea, I'd have to buy one and again rely on others a good idea none the less.
A couple of weeks ago I straddled JS2 and tried to start up down the garden path, I felt like a duck trying to take off from the local river, good job the neighbours were out I would not have heard the last of it.

Thanks again,
Les2012.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starter Rollers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter Rollers   Starter Rollers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starter Rollers
Page 1 of 1