BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

George Todd

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-08-13

George Todd Empty
PostSubject: George Todd   George Todd Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Occasionally, and by great good fortune, an individual enters ones sphere of interest and proves to be transformational, so much so that part of your life is changed forever. For me one such person was George Todd.
I first met George at Sundayshill Cottage, his home in Gloucestershire, during 1969, I well remember as a young lad being a touch anxious and slightly overawed at meeting the “High Priest”of Bantam racing! However George and Mrs Todd were warm, welcoming and put both my brother David and me at ease straight away. We enjoyed a friendship and collaboration that extended for several years and eventually took over the big 186 machine when George moved on to other work that took him abroad. Indeed one letter from him spoke of leaving Germany for Sardinia, returning to Germany then off again to arctic Sweden. Such was the demand for his various talents in rocket development. George`s dissapointing time at BSA was such that he accurately predicted their decline and eventual collapse!
My most enduring memory of George is that of his enthusiasm for all things two-stroke and that even extended to the car he drove at that time, a Wartburg powered by a two stroke engine. Like most accomplished individuals he wore his status within the wider Bantam fraternity with modesty and was a little surprised by all the fuss.
From those early days of solid rear end frames of the 1950s to 2016 George`s influence can without exception, be felt by every single Bantam racer of today. We all of us owe a debt of gratitude to George Todd for it was his pioneering and far sighted endeavours that enabled all of us to enjoy today the sport of Bantam racing.
George was quite unique and I am deeply saddened to learn of his passing, but will raise a glass of a decent red and toast his memory and enduring world wide legacy.
Rest easy George.

Trevor
Back to top Go down
bkirkwood

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-05-31

George Todd Empty
PostSubject: George Todd   George Todd Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 12:13 am

So sad too hear of Georges passing I was lucky too meet him along with a group of us from the south east centre it must have been about 69 we were made more than welcome by George and his wife I remember looking over the 186. We then carried on too Bristol and 5 of us spent the night on George Harris's lounge floor. Georges legacy lives on last Sunday Mick Grant won our club trial on his Bantam complete with Todd head.
Bill
Back to top Go down
Jimmie

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2011-07-25

George Todd Empty
PostSubject: Re: George Todd   George Todd Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 12:04 am

David Jordon, the editor of Bantam Banter, the Bantam Club magazine, is seeking photos and personal memories of the great man. While he appreciates most 'readers' of this forum probably started their interest in Bantam racing after GT had left the scene, he  would appreciate any and all assistance given.

His email contact is editor@bsabantamclub.org.uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

George Todd Empty
PostSubject: Re: George Todd   George Todd Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

George Todd
Page 1 of 1