BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When Bantam Racers made the headlines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

When Bantam Racers made the headlines  Empty
PostSubject: When Bantam Racers made the headlines    When Bantam Racers made the headlines  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Was driving up the M1 the other day in my Transit and my mind wandered back to a time when I had first started Bantam racing circa 1971.

I started to recall this incident which occurred around February 1972 but cannot be certain of that. What I am certain of was the front page of Motorcycle news carrying the story of high jinks on Wimbledon Common....a blue movie was being made in a deserted part of the common and the camera man and director and the female star were all arrested by the plod, and had up in court for breach of the peace etc. Sam and Mole Benn I recall. I think the female star was well known to Fred Launchbury.

Do any of our forumites remember this?

As an aside I am also one of these who doesn't have any time spare for that Fauxbook or is it faceache?

Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Hi Peter...   When Bantam Racers made the headlines  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi Peter! Nice to hear from you....

Ah, those good old days -- let´s call tham "Gods Days" *** ....

Who was it at the Hoop & Grapes Wobbleyman called "Wide Belt?" 'cos her skirt was so short it reached up to
Lord knows where? If we arrived at the same time I'd purposely made myself a gentleman and stand back behind when we climed upthose steep steps into the 'attic´ .

You had hair then and I still had a little....

Definite deteriaroration here.

Who started it?

Let´s get back to Bantam racing. Road racing was something I thought I´d never do. I was scared pooh-less
just watching it on the telly and those blokes who rushed around the Island... OH my oh my -- I recall listening
to the Queen´s coronation and then hearing that Les Graham had been killed going down Bray Hill. He´d survived being a Bomber plane pilot during the war and had go that way... As a yokel from the Essex sticks I
talked to Les whilst having a break from marshalling and this Star had time for me....

Sorry to put a damper on it but that nasty factor is ever there.

*** I hope I haven´t offended anyone!

Cheers!

John-Boy ....

Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
les2012

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: when Bantam racers made the headlines   When Bantam Racers made the headlines  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 4:04 am

Peter, O yes I remember it well, Mandy I recall.I did meet her on stage after I had drawn a winning raffle ticket during a do organized by Sam and Mole for thier bike club friends and that was a very long time ago, I just can't remember any more, honest.

Les2012
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Re: When Bantam Racers made the headlines    When Bantam Racers made the headlines  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 6:45 am

les2012 wrote:

Peter, O yes I remember it well, Mandy I recall.I did meet her on stage after I had drawn a winning raffle ticket during a do organized by Sam and Mole for thier bike club friends and that was a very long time ago, I just can't remember any more, honest.

Les2012

Hi Les,

Yes it was Mandy - I later met her when she called round to the house at New Malden to buy my 2 bike trailer - I had seen sense by then and had bought a Thames 400E Smile Fred had sent her round and I remember thinking she was rather hot. Happy days indeed.
Back to top Go down
bkirkwood

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2011-05-31

PostSubject: When Bantams made headlines   When Bantam Racers made the headlines  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 9:43 pm

I remember Mandy well she was a regular visitor to Freds shop she had a vintage bike a Douglas i think that's what she would have wanted the trailer for. I was at that do as well Les happy days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Bantam Racers made the headlines    When Bantam Racers made the headlines  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When Bantam Racers made the headlines
Page 1 of 1