BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RIP - Terry Beckett

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
John Colter

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2014-10-23

RIP - Terry Beckett Empty
PostSubject: RIP - Terry Beckett   RIP - Terry Beckett Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 am

I've just had a huge shock. I phoned Terry Beckett, to see if he wanted to go to the BHRC Mallory practice day, and learned that my old mate died this morning. It seems that his health had been failing since just before Xmas, and Terry accepted the fact that he was on the way out. His widow, Hilary, tells me that he had everything organised, and didn't tell anyone in advance because he didn't want any fuss. That's typical of the man. He died peacefully and was happy with his lot. There are much worse ways to go.

I first met Terry in 1964 when we were both fairly new competitors on the Bantam racing scene. Terry's bike was much quicker than mine, but I could shuffle round the corners a bit quicker, so we had some interesting races. Eventually, I ended up riding Terry's bike, and serving as his development rider. Terry was there when I got married in 1970, and he was one of the first people I introduced to my son shortly after he was born in 1973.

Terry Beckett is a name that is highly respected in the world of two stroke tuning. His approach to problem solving and development was logical and meticulous. His results speak for themselves. In three seasons of riding Terry's Bantam racer, I never once had to retire from a race due to failure of the engine, clutch or gearbox. Considering the bike was always changed, in some way or other, from one meeting to the next, that is remarkable.

My life was enriched immeasurably by having had Terry as a friend. I mourn his passing, but will celebrate a good life, well lived.

John Colter.
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: RIP - Terry Beckett   RIP - Terry Beckett Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 am

Sad news indeed John, I well remember Terry at the BRC race meetings at the 60s and 70s. But perhaps my fondest memory is of the tape recordings of his thoughts and results on his two stroke work. At the time I was residing in Addenbrooks hospital undergoing numerous operations on broken bones and plastic surgery after a nasty traffic accident. Working within the NHS he was able somehow to circumvent the normal postage protocols and get the parcels handed to me at my bed side. I had a small tape deck available and spent pleasant interludes listen to Terry`s news. One innovation he did reveal back then was the early use of multiple transfer ports, perhaps even the first tuner to do so with a Bantam barrel.
A kind and thoughtful fellow enthusiast who was rewarded with the epithet of `the thinking man`s two stroke tuner`! Not a bad epitaph to take with you.

Trevor
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: RIP - Terry Beckett   RIP - Terry Beckett Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 7:36 am

very sad news . I met Terry at Mallory and had the pleasure of a brief chat about engines etc, even had some on the spot expertise and analysis when I took my engine apart for him to have a look see.  rest in peace  Terry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP - Terry Beckett   RIP - Terry Beckett Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP - Terry Beckett
Page 1 of 1